The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all, I've decided to move this up to the Med. Duty section to maybe get a few more answers. I'm having fuel issues on my dt466 and I have no idea why. A few weeks ago the engine started and ran fine, no issues. A week later I tried starting it and I'm still trying 3 weeks later. I've pumped the primer for at least half an hour, no joke. I took the supply fuel line off and I'm getting no suction when I pump the primer and stick my finger over the hole. I can suck on the fuel line and get fuel though. There is a removable filter screen before the primer and I took that off and cleaned some gunk out of it, still no luck. I have tried everything and still can't get any fuel. The fuel lines were dry when I undid them, so this tells me there hasn't been fuel for a while.
The top black piece is what I've been pumping to prime the system and it moves about an inch and a half. The bottom black piece beside the filter is what had the removable screen in it. It had some gunk but was nowhere near clogged. Can anybody help me? I'm thinking I'm doing or missing something really stupid, but I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i still think its the lift pump. do you have an electric pump that you can use to bypass the lift pump to see if that will get it to start???

i would try that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, before you pumped the primer did you loosen the injector lines to let the air out , I have done thes and tighten them as they get wet by the injector. But it is strange that the line was dry. If you changed the filter make sure you fill it with fuel.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the lines finger tight at the injectors. I'm still waitint to see fuel there. I did fill the filter with fuel before I started, I figured it couldn't hurt. I think I will get an electric fuel pump. The lift pump has some suction too it, but I don't know if it is enough. But why won't the priming even work? Am I even priming in the right place?

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Strokin.,,

did you have a photo of the Bosch pump ?? if so i will like to take a look at it.

that black knob that is a primer but i want to take a look at the Bosch pump as well to make sure i can rule it out.

Merci, Marc

·
33 Posts
fuel issue

on top of the filter screen area of your primer pump there is a plug. remove the plug and there is a check ball. these check balls can be a problem (older ones fall apart) and can be easily replaced with a new upgraded check ball.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you need more Marc I'd be more than happy to take them. I'll have a look at that check ball too.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The check ball looks good. No holes or anything.

·
160 Posts
did you try to loosen the bleeder above the filter while you are priming it.if you get the air out there then move to the line at transfer pump crack it and hand prime again until you get a steady stream of fuel
Bob

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bob, I've loosened the bleeder and I still can't get any suction while I work the hand primer. It just won't pull for some reason. I did stop at the International dealer while I was in town today. $285 for a new lift pump! I told him no thanks, I'll get an electric one. So which electric pump does everybody recommend for diesel? I think I've heard of guys using the Holley Black pump.

·
160 Posts
maybe bad primer pump ,sucking air?you could try to plumb a remote fuel tank right at lift pump maybe even run it thru a inline filter so your not putting unfiltered fuel into inj pump?it would tell you if your lift pump is working

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fuel tank dip tube? This is in my 74 F250, so the fuel tank is totally different. Are you referring to the pickup tube?

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm beginning to wonder if I have a crack in the line that runs from the filter housing to the lift pump. If you think about it, that would explain why I get no suction while cranking. I'm not sure though if that would prevent the primer from working. Wouldn't the crack work just like the bleeder valve on top of the filter housing? Anyway, its something to look into.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Strokerin said:
Fuel tank dip tube? This is in my 74 F250, so the fuel tank is totally different. Are you referring to the pickup tube?
OH, I thought this was in a medium or heavy truck. They can suffer from a cracked tube in the fuel tank. You're in the wrong forum.

·
Super Moderator
3,192 Posts
Duke said:
OH, I thought this was in a medium or heavy truck. They can suffer from a cracked tube in the fuel tank. You're in the wrong forum.
He posted here because of the DT466 problem. Not getting many answers in the Conversion threads. More guys are familiar with a 466 up here.
I'm thinkin it's a problem in the suction line, restriction, or air seeping in.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
nevrenufhp said:
He posted here because of the DT466 problem. Not getting many answers in the Conversion threads. More guys are familiar with a 466 up here.
I'm thinkin it's a problem in the suction line, restriction, or air seeping in.
I'm fine with it. The reason I made note of it is because I had no idea it was a DT466 in a small truck.

·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No problem Duke. On another note, it is the lift pump. Congrats to DT466man22 for getting it. The lift pump has even less suction now than it did a few days ago. I also think I have a small air leak in the hose that runs from the filter housing to the lift pump. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a new lift pump instead of an electric pump. The lift pump is cheaper and at least I know its a factory part and will work.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I'm readin this thread going "lift pump"? WTH are you guys talking about? LOL

Alright, I'm finally un-cornfuzed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts