The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm really hoping someone can help. I have a 2003 International 4300 with a DT466. I just had all the O-rings on the injectors replaced along with the wiring harness that goes to the injectors. Now once the truck gets up to running temp it starts to sputter/miss. Truck runs GREAT cold but once warm gets worse. Any ideas anyone?

·
590 Posts
In most cases any year dt466 was great.. The fuel system on the electronic engines were however about the only weakness [if any] to the engine.. Sounds odd that things change when it get's warm, makes me think of an internal engine issue.. Unless the engine is abused or just wore out, i wouldnt think thats the prob.. I would suspect maybe air is working into the fuel system some how.. Also beware, as i recall 03' was the first year of the new body style.. I have heard tell of quite of few that had eletrical type issue's, even with low miles..

·
381 Posts
:swear. How was the engine running before you replaced the inj. o rings?Another possibility ; one of the inj. tips damaged. One of the inj. wire retainers could be loose. One or more inj. may be sticking. Also, one of the o rings could have been damaged when they went back in. On the last inframe I did on an '01, the driver was complaining of excessive oil consumption. I looked in the fuel tank & saw dark fuel. I had to pull all the inj. before I found the bad o ring. They are pretty tough when installed in a tight space, but fairly tender when installing them. Good luck---Bob

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Bob. Thanks for the reply. The reason I had the orings replaced was I was losing ridiculous amounts of oil and yup low and behold found it all in the fuel tank. Truck was running great before I had o-rings replaced. Would your suggestions ring true with the symptoms I listed such as it runs strong until it get up to running temp. It actually seems to be ok for about 20mins after its warm.

·
381 Posts
Yes, it would. My thought; if the eng. was running ok, but consuming oil,& the orings & harness was replaced & then the running problem started, It is time to pull the dog house & remove the valve cover for inspection. However, you may want to test the plug where the truck harness plugs into yht valve cover. It's possible the inj. harness end of the plug is not seated into the cover & not making good connection. Just a few thoughts.---Bob:guitar----How's the weather in B.C.?

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again Bob. Soon as it hits first light thats what I'll do. I was sooooo hoping not to have to pull valve cover lol. Any chance it could have anything to do with the ICP sensor?? I'm not to mechanically inclined when it comes to this truck but have tried to do my research. Thanks again for your time have a great day and I'll post what I come up with later.

·
381 Posts
Anything is possible. Pull the plug on the ICP & see if there is any oil in the plug. If there is, replace the sensor & clean the plug with brake kleen or some thing like that . Otherwise ;you know the deal. Not hard to do, just aggravating.---Bob

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Once again thanks. Weather is nice but not as nice as down south I'd imagine. It's actually been unseasonably warm. I will let u know how I make out. Just waiting on a police call as we speak. Been monitoring the scanner and sounds as tho some guys crashed a truck into a tree. Also heard the life flight helo a while ago so could be serious. Again thanks more appreciated than u know and enjoy your weekend.

·
63 Posts
Not sure if you solved your problem.
I had a simular problem it turned out to be an engine position sensor or cam/crank sensor. Save a few bucks and get the one for a 7.3 L Powerstroke at Carquest theyre the same animal they last just as long and cost two hundred dollars less than the dealership.
Check the electrical connectors to the injectors make sure theyre bottomed out as oil can make it past the seals raising havock.
Do you have a Bosh hand pump on the fuel filter housing? If so the seals will break down and draw air. Pull it out and replace it but know they are dealer items. If theyre out of your budget replace it with a brass threaded plug you will have to unplug the injectors and crank the engine to bleed the air out. I would laso check the rock catcher it looks like a float bowl sear the fuel filter dosent take much to crud this up. Also the rubber crush sleaves at the fittings will suck air. the only other thing Ive run into with my 2003 DT466 is an O ring where the fuel line plugs onto the filter housing it will hammer flat and eventualy draw air. Replace the Oring as its the only part that wears.

The pre 2004 DT engines are preaty forgiving as lonc as they dont have the VGT turbo.

One more thing are you using a CH4 or CI 4 lube?
The CJ4 is crap in older engines as its formulated for 2007 and up.

Good Luck
Bob Wolf.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts