The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 DT 466E in an International 4700.

Starts and idles fine. Drive it a few hundred feet it starts sputtering. Hit the schrader and lots of air comes out before you get solid stream of fuel again.

Pulled tank, pickup tube is fine.

Vent is OK.

Bypassed fuel/water seperator. (to elminate out of equation)

Pulled the suction line of and check for holes. (dipped in water and put pressure to it)

Changed primary filter.

Still getting air. Anyone have any ideas?

·
There's your problem.
220 Posts
bypass the complete suction system and run it with a 5 gal bucket and see if it does it. ive also see cracked fuel pick up tubes and dropped pickup tubes in the fuel tank.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just took it for another spin. It started sputtering with no power under load. We quick checked the schrader, and we had steady stream of fuel, no air. I think we have that problem fixed, but now we still have a motor running crappy.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bypass the complete suction system and run it with a 5 gal bucket and see if it does it. ive also see cracked fuel pick up tubes and dropped pickup tubes in the fuel tank.
We pulled the tank, and pickup tube. Cleaned the tank, pulled the pickup tube and checked it for holes/cracks by placing it under water and putting air pressure to it, checked out OK.

·
There's your problem.
220 Posts
check fuel pressure at the schrader should be 50-60 psi

Reactions: fordt

·
1stGenpuller
160 Posts
Wayne, what kind of fuel are you running in it? Off road or road tax diesel?

I know on our 97 TE 444 won't run anything but road tax diesel. It was doing something similar when we tried to run off road in it. It could be a shot. I know the injection system are different on the 466 and 444 but they both may not run dyed fuel. I know it sounds weird cause I can run dyed fuel in my 7.3 Powerstroke.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wayne, what kind of fuel are you running in it? Off road or road tax diesel?

I know on our 97 TE 444 won't run anything but road tax diesel. It was doing something similar when we tried to run off road in it. It could be a shot. I know the injection system are different on the 466 and 444 but they both may not run dyed fuel. I know it sounds weird cause I can run dyed fuel in my 7.3 Powerstroke.
On road, taxed fuel.

·
Administrator
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you put your nad on the fue line coming out of the pump you can feel a pulsing real bad, should it be that way? We were thinking maybe something is wrong with the plunger in the pump? Assuming there is a plunger in it. LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Bad injector.

I *think* an injector failed the nozzle spring allowing combustion gasses to be pushed back into the fuel system - hence the "air" in the fuel system.

This *should* cause a misfire on the affected cylinder(s), but it might not be a major one.

With the engine COLD and at idle you can always CAREFULLY "feel" the exhaust manifold, the extra hot or cold runner is where the problem is :)

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
D'autre voie vous pouvez dire si vous avez le mauvais injecteur ou le mauvais cylindre est prennent un non concat tempture la jauge avec l'indicateur laser vous pouvez capable lu l'échappement manfold tempture réel rapide comme la mention de John avec mal un ce sera plus haut ou plus bas.

The other way you can tell if you have bad injector or bad cylinder is take a non concat tempture gauge with laser pointer you can able read the exhaust manfold tempture real quick as John mention with bad one it will be higher or lower.

Merci.
Marc

·
11 Posts
dt466e sputter

My 1999 IH 4900 dt466e is doing the exact same thing. I did replace the fuel filter primer assembly when I noticed fuel leaking from it when you pumped it, fuel coming out equels air getting in, so replaced it and got alot of missing power back, but I still get the flutter and power loss under load. When mine starts fluttering, you can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak. I checked the exhaust, and found no large leaks, I did find a small leak around the band that clamps the exhaust pipe to the turbo, but it is very small, does anyone thing this could be causing the fluttering and power loss under load? Mine seems to run great cold and the fluttering seems to come on as the engine reaches operating temp. When the fluttering starts you can back off on the foot feet and there comes a point when the fluttering stops and you can notice a sudden increase in power, if the engine pulls down more or you give it some throttle, the sputtering starts again. This is driving me crazy as I'm sure it is you too. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dt466e sputter

My 1999 IH 4900 dt466e is doing the exact same thing. I did replace the fuel filter primer assembly when I noticed fuel leaking from it when you pumped it, fuel coming out equels air getting in, so replaced it and got alot of missing power back, but I still get the flutter and power loss under load. When mine starts fluttering, you can hear what sounds like an exhaust leak. I checked the exhaust, and found no large leaks, I did find a small leak around the band that clamps the exhaust pipe to the turbo, but it is very small, does anyone thing this could be causing the fluttering and power loss under load? Mine seems to run great cold and the fluttering seems to come on as the engine reaches operating temp. When the fluttering starts you can back off on the foot feet and there comes a point when the fluttering stops and you can notice a sudden increase in power, if the engine pulls down more or you give it some throttle, the sputtering starts again. This is driving me crazy as I'm sure it is you too. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Did you ever find out your issue cause im experiencing the exact same thing you are

1 - 16 of 16 Posts