The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start off
1997 IH 4700 4x2 w/ dt466e 256K miles

The motor is running out of fuel in the filter assmebly(Filter sits upside down from normal systems) I have replaced the supply,and return lines, Checked the pump and low pressure/checkvalve system - it has the bosch pump on it. I checked the fuel rail to make sure its not leaking, and snugged the bolts down. Replace the fuel in the tank, relpaced the filter x2.

It will run for about 100 miles or so, then sputter to a stop. On the filter assmebly it has a drain petcock, and if i crack it open, and release the air pressure it will start up and run for another 100 miles........... At the same time the hand primer pump is rock solid and will not push in until i release the air pressure....could it be in the filter housing??????

I am in the dark with this motor due to the fact i work in a very small shop and cant afford to buy the 466e manual and the stealership wont let me look at their book b/c i wont buy parts from them.... i go to an out of town IH dealer that gets the correct parts ordered(long story).

Anyone have the 466e manual on disk????? Download???? or just the fuel system for them?

Any wisdom will be greatly appreciated.......... Thanks, Bob

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The fix depends on which engine you have.

You say it has the Bosch pump, but then ask for a repair manual for a DT466E. The "E" engines are Electronic, and do NOT have an inection pump.

Do you have the small filter about 2/3 of the way back on the engine mounted upside down? That was a Ryder spec filter set-up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John_G said:

You say it has the Bosch pump, but then ask for a repair manual for a DT466E. The "E" engines are Electronic, and do NOT have an inection pump. FUEL PUMP BUILT BY BOSCHedit by bob

Do you have the small filter about 2/3 of the way back on the engine mounted upside down? That was a Ryder spec filter set-up.
Engine specs FROM TOP COVER: dt466e 190hp built in oct 1996 truck built nov 1996, title says 1997.

yes its a ryder style, and the side of the truck says DT466E on the hood and on top of engine,(dt466e/bosch pump)
Now with the clarification does that help?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Listen, we are only trying to help. Being a wise guy is not a good way to get help.

I am sorry if you took my reply wrong, I am only asking for clarification because the two statements are incompatable.

So, NO, it does not help.

No DT466E Has ANY injection pump, by Bosch or any other manufacturer.

So, does it have an injection pump, or is it an "E" type engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wasnt trying to be a smart *** just highlighting

Then what is the pump thats bolted to the front cover with a gear on it? It has fuel lines????????? and says bosch?? just a pressure pump???

The way you word it, seems to me like the computer sucks the fuel somehow??????? thats where i cant give you any more info..... ANY fuel system has a pump,gas or diesel! how else would the fuel get out of the tank? I know the E stands for computer controlled injectors , but where would the pressure come from to give to the injectors..catch my drift... <--thats my smart arse comment:poke: Cause your making me sound like im an Idiot you get this:nunu: J/KLOL

THE ENGINE IS A DT466E 190 hp, heres a pics of sticker and PUMP

THANKS FOR HELPING SO FAR JOHN:Thumbup:

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Bob, welcome to the site.

I think one thing we need to clarify is this is a friendly site, one where you can come and ask for help, or give help without giving or recieving a lot of static for it in return.

We've all come here from other sites that treat each other that way because we're pretty well sick of that kind of behavior.

You're welcome to stay and ask for all the help you want. When another member helps you, customarily we use the "thanks" key at the bottom of the reply, not blast the poor guy trying to help you.LOL

Thanks, stick around and enjoy the site and treat other members who are only trying to help with respect and you'll get all kinds of help in return. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bobthebuilder said:
wasnt trying to be a smart *** just highlighting

Then what is the pump thats bolted to the front cover with a gear on it? It has fuel lines????????? and says bosch?? just a pressure pump???

QUOTE] I am asking a serious question! not being smart... Remember i dont have any info on any IH engine, chasis,etc.... Is there different termnology used to call a fuel pump a fuel pump? I only say that due to my pictures and him saying no "E" series has a pump.

The shop im in works on everything Semi's,Boats,Cars,Trailers,Farm Tractors,chain saws, not just IH.

·
Master Tech
1 Posts
the pump you are reffering i think would be the high pressure pump that is the name international calls it i hope this helps.

·
197 Posts
What "I" call an injection pump has 6 lines running out of it directly to the head or injector and just a high pressure pump would have one line comming in and one leaving to a fuel rail or manifold. The pic didnt work for me so sorry i cant help you out

·
14 Posts

You say it has the Bosch pump, but then ask for a repair manual for a DT466E. The "E" engines are Electronic, and do NOT have an inection pump.

John I have a ryder spec fuel filter assembly and it has been kicking my *** since I changed the high pressure oil pump on a 97 are the fuel pumps the same on the ryder specd system?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts