The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have problem with dt466e in a 2001 4300 international box truck 170000miles. cranks great hot or cold but after it gets 150 or 160 degrees the exhaust is getting real eye teering strong but no smoke setting there idling. Before it gets up to temp it doesnt smoke except for normal amount of dark fuel smoke you get when you rev it up and no flutter,,..Buuut when it gets warmed up setting in shop you get a high rpm fluter and unburnt fuel smoke just when and only when it flutters, this is when you rev it up to 1700 -2000 rpm then stab it, you can let it go back down to 2000 rpm and then stab it and it will keep doing this. Some sometimes it will do it from a idle to wide open if you just stab it. it never does it from idle or higher rpms if you ease into the throttle only when you stab it. Out on the road you nottice it when going thru the gears, flutter, smoke, low power, then it clears up and power is normal. hooked up to pc and did koeo and koer checks and every thing shows good no old or new codes pulled injectors and had checked they were above and below fuel settings 3 and 3 replaced all injectors and and problem is a little better but still very much there replaced cam sensor and this didnt help at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

·
298 Posts
Did you check the injection control pressure sensor (ICP) because if this does not give a correct reading to the ECM then the ECM will use the default fuel tables until it sees the correct information.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mathura will check that tomorow but shouldnt that have set a code and I know on one of the tests on a graph it showed icp wanted and icp recieved and it was basically line on top of line the same. But Ill sure double check and see. How do you tell if its on default fuel setting, this is soemthing else I want to check. Thanks for the advise and response.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
It's mechanically out-of-time, most likely the crank gear has slipped on the crank after the air compressor locked up or someone powered it into a dock (both common causes). It is also possible that someone had the balancer off and did not tighten it correctly.

To check, once the engine is warm, take a cup of icewater, remove the IAT sensor and drop it into the cup. If the smoke clears up, you have either TERRIBLE fuel or a timing problem.

·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JOHN thanks, just went down and done your ice water check and the smoke and flutter quit when you cooled off the IAT sensor and came back when it warmed back up. I am now going to pull the front off engine I guess and look at crank key correct???? THANKS YOUR THE MAN:usflag AND GIVE THE LAMB A B.A.R. elmerfudd I THINK HE IS GOING TO NEED IT

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
You cannot tell by the timing marks they will match up fine, the GEAR slipped on the crank, at least that's the common failure mode.

There is a tool you set on the balancer, align with the mark on the front cover and look thru the CPS sensor hole to determine correct timing before you tear it down. But I am confident that is the problem, there are less common and more complex alternatives, but none fit the symptoms as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What a harmonic balance or coming apart or wobbling cause this as Well? I’ve got a truck doing that exact same thing it’s an 07 international 4300 DT 466 I just put a new turbo on it but it is doing the same thing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts