The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum and MD diesels with wet sleeves, really sleeves in general though I have experience with rebuild and wrench turning in general.

Back in December, a friend and I went partners on an International S1700 dump truck with a DTA360. Not having experience with these motors, I wasn't aware of the importance of coolant system maintenance so we ignored some signs the cooling system hadn't been maintained, thinking it wasn't a huge deal. Fast forward a few months and we've got chocolate milk in the oil pan and research shows we'd made a mistake with this assumption. We pulled the oil cooler first, hoping to find a massive failure there but not really expecting it and it was in fairly good shape so I started a year down for an in frame. I was expecting to find visible holes or turn o-rings in the sleeves but, only found some corrosion and cavitation damage. The block has some corrosion in the water passages, the oil passages look good and the cylinder bore is smooth and shiny where the o-rings would have sealed it.

So, not having done this before, I don't really know how bad these sleeves are. Would you guys says these are completely failed or should I keep looking for another source of water intrusion into the oil system before putting this back together? If I need to pull the block and take it in with the head, I'd rather do it before I rebuild than after.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
40 Posts
Assuming you do not have a cracked block or a bad air compressor it was probably the liner o-rings. It's a bit late to take the pan off and test them. Even though the liners look pretty good it only takes one tiny hole through the bottom of a liner to do that. You could probably replace the o-rings and I never reuse piston rings. That and the gaskets will probably cost half as much as the $1,100 inframe kit so just put it back right and move on. Also I have pressure tested an oil cooler in a heated vant and found nothing wrong. It was the problem in the end and you cannot always see it. Just my 2 cents.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This truck doesn't have air, the brakes are hydraulic, it was one of the things I liked about it actually.

So, let's say money isn't a concern in this repair but, more that I just want to know that when I put it back together that the problem is going to be fixed, if I go ahead and do the complete inframe and replace the oil cooler then I'm 99% certain of that? I didn't pressure test the oil cooler, just took it apart and visually checked what I could. There wasn't any oil in the coolant so, based on that, I kind of discounted the possibility of a failed oil cooler.

I've still got a couple of coolant leaks that I need to fix and the radiator is at the shop getting redone. That's why I didn't pressurize the coolant system before popping the sleeves out, it wouldn't hold pressure anyway and I just want to get this thing done and running again so I figured it made sense to work on the rest of it while the radiator was out for repair.

I'm fortunate in that I have a partner in this truck so our individual costs are only 1/2 what they would be since we split them. This makes our priority more that we fix it one time and don't have to mess with it again than that we fix it inexpensively.

·
20 Posts
Those sleeves aren't to bad. I have see. Them a lot worse. Probably was just the o-rings leaking. But dt-360 kits are cheap! Might as well replace em all while you are in there. I would have the radiator checked and cleaned while I had it torn down. They are good engines keep em cool and keep oil in them and they will run a long time.

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks for the input. We decided to do a full inframe and the oil cooler. We had a coolant leak so the radiator is going to the shop, along with the head. We're probably over fixing it but, I don't want to have to turn any more wrenches on it for a long time once it's back together and, it's just a little bit more. It'll get very little use, just on the farm.andvan occasional trip to the dirt yard or the dump, so it should outlive us now that I know how important the cooling system is in it.

This truck has been surprisingly easy to work on. It's nice not having the electronics and I haven't had a seized bolt on it yet, which has amazed me the most.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts