The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad was running his truck a 2001 3500 and it was running stock well and then it was shut off for about 15 min. then when tried to start no worky. The contacts are bad but when it does crank it cranks fine. The dtc show inj. pump failure with P1689 "no communication with ECM and Inj. pump mod." P1688 " Internal fuel inj. pump failure" P0602 " ECM fueling calibration erreo " The truck has about 115K miles on original vp44. The lift pump went at about 95K miles and the inj. pump showed a timing erreo so I suppose this is the sfter math of the lift pump failure. Thank you for the help

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
i would say you injection pump is bad. hard to start when warm is a sign the pump is bad. did the lift pump go completely out when you changed it?

B

·
0 Posts
Better start saving some pennies for a pump. Get a Hot Rod VP44 & a FASS system and be done with it.

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you think the pump would just shut off an $hi just like that. if so who has a good pump at a reasonable cost.
Thank you

B

·
0 Posts
Yes, they can go out just like that. As stated previously, a 44 is more likely to go out when warm than when cold.

Schieds HRVP44 is hard to beat for the price. Stay away from the India rebuilds for $999 that lots of people are selling. You will be replacing another one of those in short order.

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
i would go with schied. ive had good luck with there stuff.

B

·
0 Posts
When Schied rebuilds a pump, they use all NEW Bosch parts. Not reman/rebuilt, aftermarket China junk. They are a Bosch Certified pump shop.

·
3,514 Posts
is it just when the truck is hot that it has trouble starting? If this is the case, its probably the fuel metering diaphram in the VP. The low (or in your case 0)psi supplied by the lift pump, causes the diaphram to move up to four times further than it was disigned to move, 2mm vs. 0.5mm. The higher pressure from the new lift pump can keep the diaphram from moving. This diaphram is mainly needed for warm starts.
If you are consistently having trouble starting when warm, disconnect the pigtail to the lift pump, and see if the truck will start. If the metering diaphram is the culprate, the truck should fire right up. IF IT DOES, SHUT IT OFF IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
Anyways, if the diaphram is the problem, it can be dealt with a lot cheaper than buying a new injection pump. This is a problem that I had, and fixed for about $25(If that).
Just a thought. I hate to see someone spend a lot of money they don't need to.
Sean

B

·
0 Posts
Very true Sean. Always something to check. Although correct me if I am wrong. That should not cause the pump to throw multiple codes of that nature.

·
3,514 Posts
I don't think it would, and I kinda overlooked those last night. With multiple codes I would be pretty inclined to say that the pump is going out, whoever, I don't know my DC trouble codes well enough, so I'm not sure what those specific codes are. Anyways, its probably worth trying, just on the off chance that that is the only thing wrong. But I'm starting to think it may be a little more than the diaphram.
Sean

·
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I ordered a pump fron Sheid diesel today. Sould have shipped out today and I should see it Tuesday. Thank you all for the help

·
3,514 Posts
sweet, you'll like it for sure. did you get the lightening pump or a stock spec. pump? either way, you'll be happy.
Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts