The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just got a 93 club cab W350 dually with a single battery, was just wondering if anybody set up a dual battery system or any ideas on where to put the second battery

·
4,827 Posts
Don't seem to need a 2nd one on the 1st gen trucks. No issues with mine got starting yet. :D

But, to add one would be easy enough. Plenty of room to add the 2nd one next to the original. Tray might need to be widened, but there is room to do so. Thought someone mentioned there was enough room for 2. Just need to rotate them so they face the same direction as the radiator and not parallel to the engine. I'd probably add an additional gusset or brace to the tray to give it more support.

Just wire in two 12v batts in parallel. Not two 6V in series. Less trouble.

·
141 Posts
Battery's not an issue with these trucks. Just use the stock-spec'd minimum 1000cca gp31 battery and it'll be fine. Mine started at -20F after sitting all night not plugged in, no problem with an 850cca red top optima a few winters ago. Fuel problems are 99% of the starting issues.

·
1,836 Posts
Just a little mod to rotate the battery on the carrier and put the -terminal under the fender and the +terminal next to the radiator. The PO on mine cut the terminals off the cables so I replaced them with the same lugs for heavy trucks and use the same battery as the heavy trucks instead of the automotive type post. Can't put a little battery in it now - the smallest that I have seen with the 3/8's stud terminals is 750 AH and the common one is 950 AH and they are on the shelf as opposed to waiting for the right 1000 AH with the automotive posts.

·
3,533 Posts
A customer of mine has two batteries, one on each side, the positive cable runs across the top front of the radiator the ground goes to the block. The left battery is close to the radiator on a bracket.

·
4,827 Posts
A customer of mine has two batteries, one on each side, the positive cable runs across the top front of the radiator the ground goes to the block. The left battery is close to the radiator on a bracket.
Wired in series? Otherwise, both batts should ground on the block.

·
3,533 Posts
I am sorry I should have stated that the positive cable from the right side goes to the left side positive battery post, I never searched or looked for the right side ground but memory serves me it would go to the starter mount, or a boss on the block. I was not working there just remembered the cable running across the front of the radiator and liking the way they had slid heater hose over it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts