The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this might be a dumb question but i was wondering if you could put 2 stock turbos togather for a twin set up on a 97 ps?:thanks:

·
2,509 Posts

·
2,509 Posts

·
1,921 Posts
1040 WreckerMan said:
For true twins yes. For compounds, which are much more efficient and will create more boost, no.
Agreed. In a compound set up the entire system only flows as much as the big turbo flows by itself. So you wouldn't get any more flow if you tried to stage two turbos of the same size.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats compound mean? im dumb sorry dose each turbo come off each manifold or are they togather in one? im thinking about doing this.:Thumbup: :thanks:

·
Registered
687 Posts
In compound setups, Little turbo feeds into the inlet of the big turbo, on just twins, they boost seperately of each other.

·
Registered
596 Posts
In a twin turbo setup each turbo runs one bank on the engine. The left exhaust feeds the left turbo which supplies air to the left bank of the engine. In a compound setup the exhaust from both manifolds goes to one turbo, and then into the next. Likewise, boost from one turbo feeds into the next.

With compound turbos you can run very large turbos to take advantage of the increased air flow from a large turbo but still retain very good spool-up characteristics. BBunting at BWD has several compound options for the 7.3 and I believe that Elite Diesel may also.

·
2,509 Posts
the links I gave you were about a truck with a twin setup on it.

·
1,921 Posts
ckbed said:
In compound setups, Little turbo feeds into the inlet of the big turbo, on just twins, they boost seperately of each other.
You got that just backward. The big turbo feeds the little turbo then into the engine.

·
1,921 Posts
bbunting said:
here is an example of a compound turbo set up on a 7.3 truck

VIDEO

and on a 6.0 customer truck

video
While those are cool videos to watch not sure how then demonstrate anything to do with the trubo set up. :shrug:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so whats my best bet on twins togather in 1 or seperate? so i understand better thanks again all :smoke :Thumbup: :thanks:

·
Registered
596 Posts
What do you mean by twins together in 1? You need two turbos for twins. You can't have twins in one unit. The closest you are likely to get is something like the factory compounds on the 6.4, but there are still two turbos there. I'm not sure if anyone has run real twins on a PSD, but the TN compounds work well. VAB has a towing compound setup from BWD and loves it, he says it's the best thing he ever did to the truck. Might want to call or email BWD for details and talk to VAB as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i meant twins with 1 downpipe or twins with 2 outlet pipes i think you will understand better very sorry wrecker lol ?:shrug: :thanks:

·
1,921 Posts
The best way to do it is to run one big turbo into a smaller turbo. This will compound the boost pressure and deliver much more air to the engine. You need to get turbos that will work with each other though. You can't just get two turbos and bolt them together and hope it works. I'd suggest checking out a book called Turbochargers by Hugh Maclinnes. It has a section dedicated specifically to compound turbos. It's by far the best book I've read about turbochargers.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Yes, you want compounds not twins. That means one DP.

The Huge McInnes book is pretty good, there are two versions of it. I believe the red cover was the newest edition. It's somewhat basic to intermediate reading, but it does cover all the practical aspects of turbocharging. Some of the info is outdated, but the basics still apply.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Good to know that...I always thought it was the other way. So how does it spool up quick if the big turbos gotta spool first?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts