The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 dually looks like it was ordered with every option except for a limited slip differential :damnit Why you would do this with a 2wd dually is beond me :shrug:

My question is what is my choices for differentials?
What are your suggesions? Keep in mind that I am towing 90% of the time and really just need it for mud and snow encounters.
Also what housing would my truck have so I for sure get the right one?

I would deffinitly like to hear comments on the ones you have installed or driven. I know some will make noise or a ratcheting feeling when slipping around a corner which I would like to stay away from if possible.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
You have a 10.25 Sterling rear axle. The factory limited slip is not that great IMO. but will be alittle better than a open diff

·
89 Posts
I have a ford limitless slip in mine - really sucks. I am planning to put an Eaton Detriot TruTrack in mine. I spend most of my time on hard surface and do not want a locker. I have been told you can pull the carrier, restack and load the shims to get the ford unit to work better, but if I'm going to take it apart, then I might as well finish the job right.

·
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the heads up on the stock units. I found new ones for 300 bucks but if they aren't that great then I'll spend a little more for a good one.

Right now I think I have it narrowed down to a Detroit TurTrac or a good ole Eaton Posi unit (same as a factory GM posi)

I found a store on ebay that sells this stuff and they have the Eaton Posi for 489. I was leaning towards this one until I found this article while searching the web.

I was really glad to find that article because if an OEM will put it in a heavy truck then it must be able to take some abuse and milage.

·
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was doing more searches for the TruTrac and ran accros this review that someone posted in a forum.

Check it out here. The information is in post 1,4, and 6.

Looks like another positive for the TruTrac. Still on the fence though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts