The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would I have to do in order to convert my 2000 F250 into a F350? New Dana 80 dually rear axle, new dana 60 front, what else?

Any input would be great.

Thanks
AJ

·
1,836 Posts
New VIN#?
Swapping in the parts does not change the sticker on the door, thats what the insurance company and troopers will read.
A new decal for the door is proper if you hit the highway. If you have a problem the weight on each axle has to be covered with the tire side walls and the weight rating on the sticker.
The boss used to have a solution that would lift a sticker to move it to a different truck. Might check on decales at the hobby shop.

keydl

·
608 Posts
wow... that would be a conversion and a half, most likely cheaper and less of a headache with the DMV and the Police to go buy a dually... but if you are up for it, more power to you. that dana 60 front end is going to need gear matched to the dana 80. also looking at the rear springs if they don't come with the axle. good luck.

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand the DMV issue, i was told i might be able to reregister it as a remanufactured vehicle and otherwise is the difference beteween the two axles, springs, brakes and anything else?

Thanks for the input so far

AJ

·
Riding solow on the Hog
286 Posts
The only difference between the 250 and 350 is the suspension and rear axle. Well, that and the badges....

·
1,581 Posts
You'll need a D80 rear and the adapters to use dually wheels on your front axle (Ford parts) The front axles are the same on SRW and DRW (assuming you have a D60 and not the D50) Ford just bolts on adapters. You can use a D50 front with the adapters, just don't plan on adding a plow. You'll also need fenders, they just bolt on, no trimming (of your SRW bed) is needed, even though the factory dually's have modified inner fender (don't know why) they're not necessary. Obviously, you'll need 7 wheels (if you want a spare)

Believe it or not, the rear springs on SRW F350 and DRW F350 are the same (assuming the SRW has factory overloads) I have a set of each in my garage, no difference. I have seen F250's with overloads and SRW F350's without them so it's pot luck. Your F250 is probably different, but airbags or Timbrens would be a good alternative.

As far as registration, that's a complex issue. Most states will allow you to register a truck for whatever weight you're willing to pay. The DOT can enforce CDL rules on vehicles modified to haul more weight than originally spec'd (above 26,001) so they recognize undocumented vehicle modifications as they relate to (increased) capacity. Any aftermarket upfitter can supply a sticker for your door jam to reflect the new GVWR (assuming they are willing, which is not likely do to liability issues) I'd just tag it for 10K and keep some documentation of your modifications JIC.

·
83 Posts
Seen it done, took a picture of a guy who put a dually axle under a Dodge ram with no wheel coverings. The picture was out the dirty window of the F250 but if you look hard you can see the two wheels sticking WAY out!

·
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 250 has overloads and I have Firestone bags in the rear. Looks like I will try and get the Dana 80 for the rear and then go from there with the front, i have a line on fenders so if i get the rear end I will try and get the fenders.

Thanks all

Anymore input would be great.

AJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts