The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am picking up a 94 4x4 3500 that was bought new as a cab chassis is the dually rear under that truck the same width as a standard dually rear? i would like to convert my SRW truck to a dually.

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
i know the fords are narrower in the bare back, not sure abou tthe dodge tho,

·
4 Posts
The standard DRW rear end is 4" wider than the SRW rear, and the cab and chassis is narrower than the SRW, so no the DRW ends are not the same. The C&C is considerably narrower.

·
444 Posts
The SRW is the narrowest axle. The C&C is about 6" wider.

·
4 Posts
The DRW is only 4" wider than the SRW axle. The C & C is narrower than the SRW to fit all of the different bed attachments that you can get. I was looking at doing a DRW to SRW swap and did a ton of research and measurements on all 3 axles.

·
444 Posts
The C & C is narrower than the SRW to fit all of the different bed attachments that you can get.
I think you better do a little more home work. A dually rim has around 8" back space when its mounted as a inner dual. A stock SWR wheel has about a 4" back space. A SRW tire mounts around 1 to 2" from the tire touching a spring.

With a dual rim on a SRW axle you need at least 1" of spacers to keep the inner duall off the springs.

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i finally got the truck it is a cab chassis and measurement on the rear axle is 49 inches inside drum to inside drum. i then measured my friends quad cab dually and that rear measures 54 inches wide from inside drum to inside drum. i have not had a chance to measure my SRW truck....

·
444 Posts
Do not measure from drum to drum. Measure from backing plate mounting flanges. The dually axles run a offset backing plate. That moves the drums and brake equipment inboard about 2". You will not get a true width reading from drum to drum.

When ever you ask about a axle hosuing at Dodge they require the backing plate flange to flange measurement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts