The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got back from a 1500 mile trip down baja with a 2000lbs + cabover on the bed... since this is a regular trip for me once or twice a year and it includes much offroading in soft sand and bad roads i was wondering if anyone has installed dually rear wheels on a 1992 w250 and what the clearence issues are, i presently have 1" spacers so i can run the new style dodge factory alloy rims. i also worry about the safety aspect of such a load on the rear single tires on bad roads... this would be something i would only run for these trips. also i think the dually would do much better in soft sand due to increase footprint area...
any feed back on conversion would be appreciated

·
444 Posts
Your going to have to run adapters.

The C&C and dually axles are wider than yours is. The SRW has the narrowest axle made for our trucks. A C&C axle is 6" wider and the dually is 12" wider.

If you try to bolt dually rims on a 1st gen SRW axle the inner tire will be against the springs long before you get the lug nuts tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a really nice dually rear end for sale has 87.000 miles on it and in exellent condition its missing the outside tires and wheels sold them but needed something to roll it around on .3.54 gears its in tacoma wa.. and what would you be doin about rear fenders,if ya get to swapin rear ends..

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts

·
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was planning on running single regular rims most of the time, i would only run duallys when the cabover is installed, since it sticks way out past the bed on the sides i would have a fender attached to the bottom of the cabover that would match up to the existing fender wells.
can you give me the width of the 1 ton rear axle from rim bolt up surface to rim bolt up surface... also, is that axle a 70 or 80..
thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts