The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is really dull looking, its red, and I want to restore its shine, what Adams product do you all recommend?

·
1,660 Posts
do you have an orbital? it would make your job much easier. I would start off with the Swirl and Haze remover to remove the oxidation that is making it dull. then use one of their polishes and follow up with wax.

Im sure Nitelord will be on soon to give you specific products to use .

·
803 Posts
If you have an orbital sander/buffer such as the Porter Cable, the Machine application is much easier and lasts much longer. That would consist of the following:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-97-adams-swirl-haze-remover-car-polish.aspx
and these two:
http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-126-adams-fine-machine-car-polish-machine-superwax.aspx

If you don't have the buffer, then by hand it is.
Start with a full wash with dish soap, such as Dawn. It will remove any wax or polish that is left from previous applications. If you have them, the Clay Bar and Detail Spray will also remove the old residue.
As mentioned, the Swirl and Haze remover will be where to start. That will clean up and help remove the imperfections in the clear coat.
Next would be a high grade polish, such as Revive polish. That is to further remove the really fine "scratches". Then two coats of Buttery Wax.

Either way you decide to go, I'd suggest starting with a 2x2 area. That way, you are not doing the entire vehicle, only to find out you needed another dose of Revive Polish to get the look you want. Do that 2x2 area from start to finish. That way, you know exactly what the rest of the surface needs, to be rejuvenated. Let me know if you need clarification on any of these products or the process I've suggested.

Good Luck, Mark

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont think my 92 has clear coat. IS it possible to just buff on some Adams polish to get the shine?

Whats the differences between wax and polish?

·
849 Posts
If you don't have the buffer, then by hand it is
Give you some good shoulder muscles!

You can polish a single stage paint. Just don't sit on one spot very long or you will cut through it. The thing about clearcoat (if its present) is that many do not think it is a paint, which it is, just without pigment.

Wax is a protectant. Albeit, I will leave the description for that to the Adams man.

·
1,660 Posts
Give you some good shoulder muscles!

You can polish a single stage paint. Just don't sit on one spot very long or you will cut through it. The thing about clearcoat (if its present) is that many do not think it is a paint, which it is, just without pigment.

:whs

88 Posts
I'd suggest making sure that you don't use any polishes or waxes that contain silicone. A lot of them do and they can do a nice job. BUT if you can't save the paint and decide you want to repaint it, the silicone will ruin the paint job, or at least make it much more difficult. The silicone embeds itself into the paint and you have to sand it completely out or you will get fisheyes in your paint.

·
1,660 Posts
if you use the correct cleaners before you begin sanding / prepping you will not have any issues from silicones

·
803 Posts
I dont think my 92 has clear coat. IS it possible to just buff on some Adams polish to get the shine?

Whats the differences between wax and polish?
Excellent info so far...
If you do not have a clear coat and you are working directly on the paint, you need to be very careful you do not go through it (as was mentioned above)

Polish is what you need to clean up the surface and give you the smooth base to then lay your wax down on. If you have no clear coat and the paint looks dull, that is likely the oxidation. That can be removed, but that is when you have the chance of working through the paint. Try polishing a small area and see if you get the smooth look and feel you are going for. The wax will then protect and make that paint shine...

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well this time around I didnt use any Adams Products, but will next time. First off I washed my truck real good with original Dawn dish soap. Then used meguiars Ultimate Compound for polish to restore the shine and take away all the grime left, the only thing I didnt like about this product was taking it back off with the cloth as it dried really fast even in the shade.

For wax I used meguiars Gold Class liquid wax, this stuff was pretty good, it wasn't like the polish as it didn't dry real fast.

I am pretty impressed with the results but im sure next time around with using Adams polishes and waxes it will shine even more.

BEFORE

AFTER

·
803 Posts
Most testing that I've seen completed, showed that more than 2 - 3 hand applied coats of wax will do nothing but cause a build-up. That leads to a hazy look and/or a halo effect. Others may say differently. That has been my experience.

Once I have two coats of quality wax, I simply maintain it with a bi-monthly wax. But my truck is a worker, not babied in the least. It's parked outside year round. It's driven year round. On road, off road, everywhere. It gets a full detail Spring and Fall with touch-ups as needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts