The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone so here is whats up. I drive alot of gravel everyday and rocks and crap keep getting caught between the brake and the shield on the backside of the brake. And now since I put new rims on which are not hub centric it is even worse because there is less rim covering the shield. I get rocks in there at least once a day and most times keep driving or throw it in reverse quick they will come out but I have had on in there now for a couple days and it wont come out. So I am curious if it is alright to remove these shields? or is there going to be some worse side effects from doing so? Thanks in advance everyone

·
1,415 Posts
If you get a big rock come up it can dent the rotor and i beleve it can get rocks stuck in the park break drum.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Front or rear brake?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its usually the front but this time was the rear I finally got it to let go but still curious if removal is possible but isn't the emergency brake mounted on the rear plate

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Yeah, that's why I was asking about the location.

Dust shields typically do three things: Direct airflow; Protect from water splash (opposite wheel); Protect from rocks and mud. Manufacturers at some times has eliminated dust shields on a vehicle platform, but then reinstall them in one or two years in production due to that not working out. You could give it a try on the front and see overall how things go. But your right, you would loose the parking brake on the rear axle.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya I will probably leave them on there just tought i would ask around but i will just try to find a better method of getting the rocks out instead

·
1,415 Posts
are your rotters getting thin? As they wear out they make a bigger gap for rocks to get in between them and the sheild.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts