The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone on here have any experience with the dynaflex slip in mufflers? I really need to do something about the noise on this thing since I put the marine cam in, and they would be my first choice(6"). I am wondering about the sound level. dynaflex says they are comparable to stock. I want quieter but hopefully not THAT quiet. the ones I'm referring to are the kind that slip inside of a straight pipe. they are the screen design not the auger type.

·
201 Posts
does anyone on here have any experience with the dynaflex slip in mufflers? I really need to do something about the noise on this thing since I put the marine cam in, and they would be my first choice(6"). I am wondering about the sound level. dynaflex says they are comparable to stock. I want quieter but hopefully not THAT quiet. the ones I'm referring to are the kind that slip inside of a straight pipe. they are the screen design not the auger type.
i tried them on a set of 8s and couldn keep the dam things from rattlin inside the pipe.took em back out and really couldn tell a difference in noise.

·
255 Posts
Take a look at this site www.macmuffler.com
They make a small silencer called the minimac, it goes on under the truck and really takes the droan and harshness out but still sounds nice.
That's all I run on my 2ws with straights. This is all you need. They are a bit pricey but they do what they say and are built well. :rock

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
off topic...what did the marine cam do for HP gain?

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
off topic...what did the marine cam do for HP gain?
Horsepower gain questions are ALWAYS on topic! that is kind of a hard question to answer. I installed that cam at the same time that I derated the ecm and removed my high flow injectors. the only true number I have is a dyno test before all this was done-740rwhp. right now I can only guess but my best estimate is about 625, that's a stock 550 ecm,stock injectors, marine cam. I'm sure the cam helps and I'm glad I installed it but going from 741 to 625 is pretty hard to take! I wouldn't want to even think about driving this without the cam. it's no wonder we all wanna turn these trucks up driving them stock SUCKS! I plan on taking care of this problem in the future but I'm waiting to at least get a few break in miles on it first. the exhaust note with the cam though is the biggest difference in sound, especially on the jakes.

·
22 Posts
I have an 18" resonator under the truck and with the 6" stacks the sound was perfect. Now with 8"s its a little louder but it still takes the rough edges off. BTW I also have the same engine setup you do....

·
45 Posts
I put in a couple on 6" straights with a 550 cat. Took a little of the edge off, but definately not a stock noise level. Seemed to help with the jake more than anything else.

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an 18" resonator under the truck and with the 6" stacks the sound was perfect. Now with 8"s its a little louder but it still takes the rough edges off. BTW I also have the same engine setup you do....
yes I see you do have the same engine setup I do! except you're running a 550 stage 1tune. I see that you say "dyno results soon".did they come in yet?? I am probably going to go with a pdi stage 1tune also, just wondering how the whole combo is working out for you.

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I put in a couple on 6" straights with a 550 cat. Took a little of the edge off, but definately not a stock noise level. Seemed to help with the jake more than anything else.
thanks for the info bud. quieting the jakes is mainly what I'm after, so that might be the ticket. I have an 18 inch resonator underneath also but I gutted the baffels a long time ago. it was fine before I installed the cam, now I wish I wouldn't have done that.

·
142 Posts
Horsepower gain questions are ALWAYS on topic! that is kind of a hard question to answer. I installed that cam at the same time that I derated the ecm and removed my high flow injectors. the only true number I have is a dyno test before all this was done-740rwhp. right now I can only guess but my best estimate is about 625, that's a stock 550 ecm,stock injectors, marine cam. I'm sure the cam helps and I'm glad I installed it but going from 741 to 625 is pretty hard to take! I wouldn't want to even think about driving this without the cam. it's no wonder we all wanna turn these trucks up driving them stock SUCKS! I plan on taking care of this problem in the future but I'm waiting to at least get a few break in miles on it first. the exhaust note with the cam though is the biggest difference in sound, especially on the jakes.
Is it still good on the jakes?
Has the EGT's dropped?
Do you notice less turbo lag because of the advance of the injector timing due to a steeper rake on the injector lobe.
And the most important . . . . . . dose it sound coooool:)

·
22 Posts
yes I see you do have the same engine setup I do! except you're running a 550 stage 1tune. I see that you say "dyno results soon".did they come in yet?? I am probably going to go with a pdi stage 1tune also, just wondering how the whole combo is working out for you.
The ECM I have is a 550 heavy haul from Cat,not pdi. Maybe ya meant the turbo. I did not get it dyno'd yet but the mechanics dyno'd several setups exactly like mine and got 672. I don't know what the torque level was. Im very satisfied with this setup,mpg,egt,and drivability :)

·
207 Posts
The ECM I have is a 550 heavy haul from Cat,not pdi. Maybe ya meant the turbo. I did not get it dyno'd yet but the mechanics dyno'd several setups exactly like mine and got 672. I don't know what the torque level was. Im very satisfied with this setup,mpg,egt,and drivability :)
672hp from a stock Cat 550 file with stock injectors?

·
22 Posts
672hp from a stock Cat 550 file with stock injectors?
Stock 550 heavy haul w/ fuel and injector trim codes. 57s are the injectors. Marine cam pdi stage 1 Turbo.

Reactions: justdoug

·
1,081 Posts
......but going from 741 to 625 is pretty hard to take! I wouldn't want to even think about driving this without the cam. it's no wonder we all wanna turn these trucks up driving them stock SUCKS! I plan on taking care of this problem in the future but I'm waiting to at least get a few break in miles on it first. the exhaust note with the cam though is the biggest difference in sound, especially on the jakes.

:wtf

Hard to get used to 625 again? I think that the POS 5ek I have right now is running maybe half that.:not me Atleast that is how it seems. It can drive a man to :(

100,000 with a 355 blows!choppingwood

With the fuel mileage, it should be running 700hp +:bdh

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:wtf

Hard to get used to 625 again? I think that the POS 5ek I have right now is running maybe half that.:not me Atleast that is how it seems. It can drive a man to :(

100,000 with a 355 blows!choppingwood

With the fuel mileage, it should be running 700hp +:bdh
Haha I hear you man! I really hate to say it it sounds like I'm crying.It does run pretty respectable, just can't excelerate uphill with 80,000 pounds with the 4 wheelers anymore

·
1,081 Posts
Haha I hear you man! I really hate to say it it sounds like I'm crying.It does run pretty respectable, just can't excelerate uphill with 80,000 pounds with the 4 wheelers anymore
What is this "Accelerate uphill with the 4 wheelers" you speek of?
What is this "Accelerate uphill" you speak of? :roflol:

:happydance

·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
something that if done properly and on a consistent basis will leave you with a permanent grin on your face!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts