The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local dyno day and put it on the rollers I had the free spartan ultra comp on it It did 359.8 hp no torque cause it had no pickup. i think uncorrected can't really figure it out if it was or not i am hopping not, It was a dynojet. the operator said he couldn't get a good graph cause he had to run it in OD did like 130 mph. It was only me and a 12v (368 hp :eek:wned )that were there for the diesels rest were gas jobs. was hopping for more most say 400hp with the sct so maybe i will have to call eric at ID and get his tune.

·
3,306 Posts
Yeah seems really low cause these 6L's in stock form are around 275-280hp at the rear wheels. So by the dyno reading, that means you only gained about 80-85 more hp...that don't seem right. I'm guessing he didn't really know how to run the dyno for a diesel.

·
1,661 Posts
you might want to give a call to one of the tuning venders,I been on the dyno with a Hyper-tec on the fly and did 377 hp and 724 tq, I havn't tried it with the sct custome tunes yet, But the seat of pants feel is alot stronger with the custome tunes.Just remember the same tunes will act diffrent in other trucks.

·
793 Posts
How does the tune feel? If it feels good it might just be the dyno operator and I'd just write it off as that. I had that happen to me my first time I dynoed I hit under 300 with my extreme tune:haha. And a month later hit 403 and 700 with a bad y pipe, blown gaskets, and a plugged fuel filter. I'd suggest going elsewhere with someone that has experience with diesels.

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I will go to a diesel shop that has a dyno and get it done there if i get some more mods but for $20 thought i would give it a try It feels good on the street pulls hard. Didn't seem to load it good cause on the street it will roll black alot longer then it did on the dyno

·
77 Posts
Try another dyno & operator. Loading up a turbocharged vehicle properly makes all the difference in the world on the dyno.

:happymugs

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
something definitely isn't right...

I hit 405hp 786tq on a extreme track file, 41" tires, 4" exhaust...

you should be around 400-420hp

·
2,106 Posts
have a fuel pressure test done. That's exactly what my numbers were with tune only when my fuel pump was not keeping up. I am starting to find that to be pretty common to these trucks.

·
Big Stroker
220 Posts
Yeah, something seems off, I dynoed on Saturday with Spartans Ultra Comp, and got 404.4 hp and 889.5 FtLb That's with 38" tires.

The truck has a 4" exhaust, Banks Technicooler and Elbow, Trusted Performance Stage 2 fuel system, ARP studs, EGR delete, and CCV relocate.

·
452 Posts
i made 401hp with the mods in my sig

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Sounds like the truck didn't spool up. Mine rolls the dyno anywhere from 284hp/465tq with the stock tune, to 420hp/786tq with a race file. My daily driver file is 395hp/742tq, and if you don't push the pedal down, you'd swear it was the stock or a super mild tune. I use a single roll dyno with an eddy brake for load, and the load is usually ramped up for my the diesel to several hundred pounds of force to get the turbo to light at 1300-1500rpm.

·
TDG Mafia Granny # 89
343 Posts
The first mistake is you do not dyno the truck in overdrive. I would not read too much into those numbers. They are not correct. The dyno operator obviously did not know how to dyno a diesel. They do not dyno like the gassers. Don't let it get you down, I know what kind of numbers that tune and all of the other tunes that were written by Matt,for The Granny, put down on the dyno and it is much more than that as others have said. Keep your chin up and find a different dyno that is used to diesels and I believe you will be much happier.

·
2,106 Posts
here we go again baggin on dyno operators. You don't dyno a truck in overdrive is a very false statement. Totally depends on the type of dyno you are using. Ones like Dunbar or Jefferson State Diesel have do get run in overdrive and produce the same numbers. Granted, that operator sounds like he didn't really have any experience with diesels..... But why would it be any different?

Again I say GET A FUEL PRESSURE TEST DONE. I've seen a few trucks dyno real close to that number and turned out having a fuel pressure problem.

On edit... Not tryin to get after you onefastgranny with the first part of my post, Just realized it seemed like it. Just seems that a lot of people like to say Dyno operators don't know what they're doin because somebody got a lower number than they should have.

·
TDG Mafia Granny # 89
343 Posts
If a dyno operator is not used to running diesels then they don't understand about the need to get them spooled up properly. You want to run them in direct drive if at all possible. That is why whatever tune I am dynoing, I ask my tuner to re-write it and lock it in direct drive. By doing that it eliminates the chance of shift spikes as well. I was not ragging on the operator, I was just stating a fact. There are not that many dyno operators out there that run diesels and fully understand the proper way too dyno them. That is why I stick to folks who I know that have run diesels before on their dyno. It is all good sugar, no offense taken. This old lady has tough skin. LOL

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
I'd say David Dunbar knows how to dyno a diesel and he does it in OD (unless you have a specific tune that locks it out like Granny's)..

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
I use a Dynocom dyno with an Eddy Brake and Load Cell, and run in 4th (1:1) gear. There are SuperFlow and Dyno-Jet dynos near by, but I choose not to use them because they do not have load control. I have done a couple automatics including my Excursion, and yes, YOU MUST HOLD THE GEAR AND LOCK THE CONVERTER. Attempting to dyno in 3rd will be difficult at best because the truck/car will want to downshift unless you ave a special program to prevent it from doing so. Using Overdrive to dyno a diesel is a band-aid fix for dynos that don't have an Eddy Brake and Load Cell. Because you can't properly load the truck, you can't fully spool the turbo in anything under Overdrive. Overdrive WILL have more drivetrain loss than your 1:1 gear. Inertia only machines like a lot of Dyno-Jets simply don't have heavy enough rollers to propery load the engine like it would be on the road. Big 42", 48", and 52" rollers are heavier, but not always heavy enough. Small cradle machines like MD-250s will suffer from tire spin, but more often, Mustang Dynamometers have a lousy RPM pickup and the operators don't take the time to properly set up the rpm pickup, thus leading to innacurate torque numbers there, or horsepower only read outs with a lousy graph. The dyno industry can be a little shamefull, and there are a lot of dyno operators tht have no business running a dyno. Some dyno operators really give the whole process a bad rap, and make it tremendously difficult for skilled dyno operators to make an honest living.

Reactions: onefastgranny

·
TDG Mafia Granny # 89
343 Posts
I use a Dynocom dyno with an Eddy Brake and Load Cell, and run in 4th (1:1) gear. There are SuperFlow and Dyno-Jet dynos near by, but I choose not to use them because they do not have load control. I have done a couple automatics including my Excursion, and yes, YOU MUST HOLD THE GEAR AND LOCK THE CONVERTER. Attempting to dyno in 3rd will be difficult at best because the truck/car will want to downshift unless you ave a special program to prevent it from doing so. Using Overdrive to dyno a diesel is a band-aid fix for dynos that don't have an Eddy Brake and Load Cell. Because you can't properly load the truck, you can't fully spool the turbo in anything under Overdrive. Overdrive WILL have more drivetrain loss than your 1:1 gear. Inertia only machines like a lot of Dyno-Jets simply don't have heavy enough rollers to propery load the engine like it would be on the road. Big 42", 48", and 52" rollers are heavier, but not always heavy enough. Small cradle machines like MD-250s will suffer from tire spin, but more often, Mustang Dynamometers have a lousy RPM pickup and the operators don't take the time to properly set up the rpm pickup, thus leading to innacurate torque numbers there, or horsepower only read outs with a lousy graph. The dyno industry can be a little shamefull, and there are a lot of dyno operators tht have no business running a dyno. Some dyno operators really give the whole process a bad rap, and make it tremendously difficult for skilled dyno operators to make an honest living.
Very well said! :thumbsup

·
2,106 Posts
Jefferson State Diesel
Redding, Commiefornia (NorCal)

·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well to be fair the operator said he only done like 2 diesels before also he couldn't lock it 1:1 no computer plus it was a dyno days and had to keep moving along. I am not too sad from what every one says about different dyno's
Its funny when i had my 95 with sticks and chip i would have been happy with 300 rwhp and i did 360 rwhp and I am not happy, man i have a problem (more of a addiction) I now have erics tunes and it feels much stronger so i will probaly go to the track in a little while and do some numbers off of that(cheaper than a dyno)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts