The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well took the wife's Bone stock TDI Beetle with 90,000 miles on it over to the Dyno Event we had here in Idaho this weekend. I have to say the little guy impressed me. i had them print off both corrected and uncorrected sheets. So here is the info:

2000 VW TDI Rated
HP: 90 @ 3750 RPM
TQ: 155 @ 1900 RPM

Rolled on the Dyno with SAE Correction Factor:
HP: 85.94
TQ: 158.19

Rolled on the Dyno without Correction Factor:
HP: 76.86
TQ: 141.58

I don't have the Dyno sheets here with me at the moment, but I will get them so I can post up the RPM's I set those numbers at.

Now while you maybe :pointlaugh about the HP and TQ Numbers, I have one more thing to tell you. Yesterday we took the Beetle over for its first full tank fill up since we've had it and it took on 12.153 gallons of diesel after having gone 465.7 miles. That works out to 38.39 MPG. I expect the next tank to be better now that the wife understands that her little diesel likes to rev a little lower when driving around town.

·
Mega-Member
584 Posts
38mpg? That is awesome.

·
6,337 Posts
There are a few tuners out there for the beast!

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been warned that the stock turbo is at about 99.9% right now by the guys over at TDICcub. There is a local guy here that blew up his stock VNT when he chipped. I asked about a timing and pulse length type chip and he said that the VGT turbo might still have issues on the bottom end. He recommended that I look at nozzles if i don't want to upgrade the turbo.

·
6,337 Posts
I've always kicked around getting one of them...

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
Yah i like those TDI cars, the wife and I will be getting one for her when I get back. However i favor the Jetta's a little more.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I loved mine. I have several posts in the TDI section here with many pics. My father-in-law is enjoying it now.

Atleast we kept her in the family.

·
239 Posts
You strapped a Beetle to a dyno...wow you are the man. Seriously that is cool. Once I get out of school I will polly get a TDI VW as a daily driver.

·
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figure the Beetle did well. Rated at 90 HP and 155lbs-ft at the crank it put down 76.86/141.58. Mind you that this is a bone stock TDI with over 90,000 miles on it. Also note the Torque number was on the first run, the HP number was from run number two; I just qouted Best Torque and then Best HP run. Third run was in third gear. The numbers were all close to one another, just the last run shifted the torque 500RPMs higher.

I had to laugh because there was a guy there with a 96 Powerstroke that waited to see what the Beetle did before he decided to put his truck on the rollers. He wanted to make sure that he wasn't going to get beat by 1.9 liters. LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts