The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gotta chance to do some swappin on e model turbo 475hp. would this work on c model 460. or should i just go buy a 199119. this motor unpeekd with 0r8785 nozzles. any info appreciated. gonna trade an old 14613 trans for it so i thought what the heck.

·
1,811 Posts
gotta chance to do some swappin on e model turbo 475hp. would this work on c model 460. or should i just go buy a 199119. this motor unpeekd with 0r8785 nozzles. any info appreciated. gonna trade an old 14613 trans for it so i thought what the heck.
I would get the 198123. The E will have super response, but fizzle out on the top. I tried a 199119 on my C with 8785 nozzles...it was a bit small for my liking. The 198123 was just a sweet spot. Little smokey, but a ton of air after it spooled.

Reactions: floodrod359

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks hand, u aint led me a stray yet. gonna call majestic turbo in the morn. ill let ya know how she runs.

·
1,811 Posts
thanks hand, u aint led me a stray yet. gonna call majestic turbo in the morn. ill let ya know how she runs.
Get a few more opinions on here before you call....some more will be along in a while.

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i held off on buying turbo today.trying to figure out what i have, the tag is gone and i was wondering if anyone mite know these casting numbers 072av, 698258, h8m885. those all the numbers i could find. im gonna check my air to air cooler again. i may have problem there. the pump was set 20% over, it would only boost 18pds. it was cool this morn high 50s, so i turned screws out 3 rounds. started boostin 24pds. pyro stayed cool bout 900-950 on decent hill. just a little more smoke between gears. then this afternoon warmed up to high 80s. and pyro started climbing. could that little change in temps affect trucks temp? or when u got 8785s u just dont turn out 3 rounds at once. any suggestions appreciated.im hoping it will be cool in morrow morn so i can see what temps are.

·
2,555 Posts
What governor spring are you using?, 3 turns should be more than 6psi boost difference, my 3ZJ gained almost 11psi for 3 turns (21 to 32) stock pump and injectors on cat reman, if I want more I need to change my governor spring.

·
222 Posts
You put a "E" model wastegate turbo on & jacked up 3 rounds over 20% over already and got that low of boost.. You forgot to close the door [wastegate].. :mafia1:

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no. it does not have e modl turbo. i didnt go that route. i guess it still has 460peek turbo,no tag on it only casting numbers. on the torq spring its the purple one. turned fuel screw in one round fixin go run it while its cool. thanks

·
200 Posts
i think you have a tv/71 turbo, may be a garret, not a 100% sure those are pretty much the same as a 3406c 350 windmill's the compressor side is larger and exhaust side, cat will let you upgrade those cores with no charges

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
got the boost problem fixed 29pds. i have the purple stripe torq spring. while i had the gov housing off i maxd rack. i think? i turned torq screw out till it was not hitting the stop. then screwed fuel screw in until it hit that little flimsy thing. im pretty sure thats far as can go, any more and that round thing on the back will fall out of groove. truck runs like scalded dog. im very happy with performance. but im afraid of egts it will climb to 900 empty. gonna load heavy morrow morn see what happens. if egts to high can i just turn fuel screw in or do i have to do both. i love the torq im getting right now. thanks for all the help. if im screwin up please tell me before i melt piston.

·
1,811 Posts
i held off on buying turbo today.trying to figure out what i have, the tag is gone and i was wondering if anyone mite know these casting numbers 072av, 698258, h8m885. those all the numbers i could find. im gonna check my air to air cooler again. i may have problem there. the pump was set 20% over, it would only boost 18pds. it was cool this morn high 50s, so i turned screws out 3 rounds. started boostin 24pds. pyro stayed cool bout 900-950 on decent hill. just a little more smoke between gears. then this afternoon warmed up to high 80s. and pyro started climbing. could that little change in temps affect trucks temp? or when u got 8785s u just dont turn out 3 rounds at once. any suggestions appreciated.im hoping it will be cool in morrow morn so i can see what temps are.
That 72 A/R is the air ratio on the cold side. This is either a factory 350 turbo, or a 460 PEEC turbo. Maybe Borg Warner. Need to get the exhaust A/R...will be cast around the 4 bolt flange at the manifold. Should be anywhere from 1.60 to 1.80.

I ran stock fuel settings with 8785 nozzles, and made good power. I turned the screws out three rounds one time, and fried a 1800lb clutch. I ran them out one and a half turns for years...while pizzing off many 550's and 600's.

Your governor spring will be fine...no need to change it. If it has about 200 RPM difference between bare high RPM and load RPM...you're good to go.

Get those turbo numbers...if it is indeed a 460 PEEC, or OR-6170, you will not see much boost, although what you have is a bit low.

·
1,811 Posts
got the boost problem fixed 29pds. i have the purple stripe torq spring. while i had the gov housing off i maxd rack. i think? i turned torq screw out till it was not hitting the stop. then screwed fuel screw in until it hit that little flimsy thing. im pretty sure thats far as can go, any more and that round thing on the back will fall out of groove. truck runs like scalded dog. im very happy with performance. but im afraid of egts it will climb to 900 empty. gonna load heavy morrow morn see what happens. if egts to high can i just turn fuel screw in or do i have to do both. i love the torq im getting right now. thanks for all the help. if im screwin up please tell me before i melt piston.
Anything under 1050 degrees is ok. Get the 198123 from Doug. That what I ran and NEVER saw 1000.

Are you using the round manifold? I will get scolled for saying this, but the round manifold WILL help spool up and performance of the engine.....if you have a round port head. If I was going for all out racing, the square manifold would be better. Round is just all around better...in my opinion.

I ran the log manifold for a few months on my C engine. I just had a brain fart, and thought I would try a round one. I IMMEDIATELY saw cooler EGT's, faster spool up, and better performance. Even saw a slight increase in MPG. Here again, just my .02

·
1,811 Posts
I would leave both screws working. I have a Buffalo engine in my shop right now with the right screw missing. He said Rick told him to always leave the load screw out. I disagree...any time you push the throttle, you will be maxing the fuel setting. The torque spring was designed so you had to push a little harder to max the setting. I would set the travel at 3/8", and start working out till I found the sweet spot. Then set the torque spring so slight pressure is needed to hit the bar stop.

Tony, please correct me if I'm wrong....this is just what has worked for me.

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the exhaust ar is172. found more numbers 193784-t-209. i loaded her down bout 83k yday she would walk right thru the gears. in 9th and 10th egts would climb quick and cool off quick. when light footn truck boost would run bout 15-18 and egts would climb. i noticed if i gave little more throttle and boost it would climb round 900 and stop. i believe the 198123 will be the icing on the cake. thanks for the help sledman.

·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes i have the round manifold. i understand what your saying bout 3/8 travel. but how do i set slight pressure on torq spring. i didnt pull out my torq screw,but i did screw it out as far as possible. i see what you mean throttle is real easy to push now.thanks hand and happy easter

·
1,811 Posts
the exhaust ar is172. found more numbers 193784-t-209. i loaded her down bout 83k yday she would walk right thru the gears. in 9th and 10th egts would climb quick and cool off quick. when light footn truck boost would run bout 15-18 and egts would climb. i noticed if i gave little more throttle and boost it would climb round 900 and stop. i believe the 198123 will be the icing on the cake. thanks for the help sledman.
That sounds like a factory 350 turbo....not sure. The 198123 should be the sweet spot. It worked real well with mine. Let us know the results..

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I would leave both screws working. I have a Buffalo engine in my shop right now with the right screw missing. He said Rick told him to always leave the load screw out. I disagree...any time you push the throttle, you will be maxing the fuel setting. The torque spring was designed so you had to push a little harder to max the setting. I would set the travel at 3/8", and start working out till I found the sweet spot. Then set the torque spring so slight pressure is needed to hit the bar stop.

Tony, please correct me if I'm wrong....this is just what has worked for me.
Settings are rite, reason in wrong but that doesn't matter really. You got it bud!! ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts