The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about putting E rated tires on my trailer which has steel modular wheels that are rated :shrug: at 75 psi. The E tires are rated 2830 lbs at 80 psi. Trailer GVWR is 9990 (two 5200 lb torflex axles) and won't be loaded to max capacity ever, but I'd like as much "headroom" as I can get on the tires. I was told the rims could easily handle 80 psi as long as the trailer isn't loaded to the max. Should I run the tire/wheel combo at 75 psi? Or 80 psi? Or...? :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
MoeB said:
I'm thinking about putting E rated tires on my trailer which has steel modular wheels that are rated :shrug: at 75 psi. The E tires are rated 2830 lbs at 80 psi. Trailer GVWR is 9990 (two 5200 lb torflex axles) and won't be loaded to max capacity ever, but I'd like as much "headroom" as I can get on the tires. I was told the rims could easily handle 80 psi as long as the trailer isn't loaded to the max. Should I run the tire/wheel combo at 75 psi? Or 80 psi? Or...? :confused:
75 psi and no more they will split. The old ST22575R15E never seen a 15" that had the load capacity or psi for this tire. I have no idea what it was originally made for.

Darrick

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Darrick. These are just standard painted steel modulars. They came OEM on my horse trailer. In any case, I will keep inflation at 75 psi then. That should still let the tires handle about 2700 lbs each, right?

Also, are you saying no 15" rims exist that can handle 80 psi? If not, why do they make 15" E load range tires?

·
Registered
13 Posts
MoeB said:
Thanks Darrick. These are just standard painted steel modulars. They came OEM on my horse trailer. In any case, I will keep inflation at 75 psi then. That should still let the tires handle about 2700 lbs each, right?

Also, are you saying no 15" rims exist that can handle 80 psi? If not, why do they make 15" E load range tires?
We had this conversation at work last week. We do not know what the capacity will be de-rated. No 15" wheels exist that we know of. There is no reason to make a wheel with this load rating, because there is nothing that can use it. The weakest link of the suspension is the strongest point, in this case your axle. We do not know why they make these tires. But sure enough they make them. There are a few tires out there like this. Make the tire with no wheels to match.

Darrick

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My intention is to have tires that won't be at their capacity limits, even if the axles can't handle as much weight as the tires. Since the axles are rated 5200 lbs, I was hoping to have at least that much capacity in the tires/wheels. I got the de-rated load capacity from this chart:

http://www.maxxis.com/products/trailer/docs/m8008load.pdf

Like I said, I'll never load the trailer to capacity anyway, but just want tires that will be less likely to fail. I've considered going to 16" wheels/tires but there may not be enough clearance. :shrug:

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, they do look nice. I have seen the same or similar wheel several other places online but I don't know if they are forged or cast. They all go for around the $100 mark, which isn't bad. I just wonder if they are good quality or not. Was hoping Darrick had seen these before. Guess I'll try to find one local, or maybe buy one to get a close look. If it's crappola I can always use it for the spare or dump it on eBay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
MoeB said:
Yeah, they do look nice. I have seen the same or similar wheel several other places online but I don't know if they are forged or cast. They all go for around the $100 mark, which isn't bad. I just wonder if they are good quality or not. Was hoping Darrick had seen these before. Guess I'll try to find one local, or maybe buy one to get a close look. If it's crappola I can always use it for the spare or dump it on eBay.
Looking at the designs, I would say they are cast wheels. But I will let them speak for themselves. The price would suggest they were made on the eastern orient.

·
King Of Farts
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you are probably right, Darrick. Guess I'm stuck in a tight spot unless I go to 16".

What's the best 15" 6 lug trailer wheel that Southwest carries?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
southwestwheel said:
Looking at the designs, I would say they are cast wheels. But I will let them speak for themselves. The price would suggest they were made on the eastern orient.
I would RUN from them if they're Chinese.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts