The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need some help here! I'm new to PSD and have recently bought an early '99 350 srw cc 4x4 6 speed. I have read everything I can get my hands, I think. When looking at mods I just get more and more confused about what I need or if I need any. So...I thought I would just explain what I need from this truck and see if you guys could suggest what I need. Not just mods but anything!

I've read up the difference between the '99 and the '99.5 but it dosen't compute in practical, workable terms. Maybe someone can explain all the problems I have, or will have because of model date (May '98) because I really want to fix this stuff before I'm stuck in the Baja with my wife and a murder charge looming.
So here goes...

I want reliable, economical, practical, necessary performance.
I'm too old to race anything, this truck will will spend as much time off road as on. I will carry a 1800lb cab over camper and pull another 1/2 to 1 ton trailer at times.
I don't want to crawl up hills, and I don't want to die because I can't stop going down them. I do my own work and can manage most everything that anybody with trashed back can. I have already put an AFe intake on this and have an MBRP 4" turbo back in the garage for this week. Some of my questions are...
Do I need a new turbo?
What about injectors, new 99.5 pedetal, wastegate, bypass oil, on and on and on...Thanks for any help!

·
504 Posts
I would get some gauges. EGT, and boost. Put the EGT gauge pre turbo. Then I would get a chip. A wildman chip, or DP tuner or Elite Diesel. They are all great chips. I am betting after that you would be really happy with the performance. Then do some of the easy nearly free mods. For you I would turn you EBPV into and exhaust brake. Very easy to do.

·
4,024 Posts
It just depends on where you want to go with it. A good tune from Jody at DPTunner would be a good start. From there the addiction will only grow.........

A tune will make the truck run like it should have when it left the factory. Hows the tranny with all that towing?

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
free mods?

thanks, so far you have esed any urgency to spend a bunch of money. I've read a lot of praise in this forum about Jody(?) Is that the tuner person? Where would I go about finding the EB conversion and free mods?

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DD,
Not sure on the tranny yet..,Haven't hooked it all up yet. Should I be concerned?

·
4,024 Posts
If it's an auto with any kind of mileage on it I would be. I tow almost daily, and a big part of my performance and reliability centered around my tranny. I went with a BTS tranny. Till you expiriance the differance over stock you wont believe it.

Yes Jody is DP tunner.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it has plenty of miles on it 186 as of yesterday. Do the manual tranny's have a history of issues that I should know about? I know this must have pulled it's share. it had a gn hitch on it when I bought it.

·
4,024 Posts
Sorry I thought you were an auto.........

The manuals hold up well. Had one with 210k plowed snow and only 1 clutch.

When you have a minute, fill out your signature so we can see what you have and better spend you'r money. LOL

I read over your post, but look in sigs for truck info My bad.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will do. thanks for the help.

·
2,334 Posts
for you to put a new turbo on that truck it gets kinda costly because nothing is the same as the 99.5 as far as the turbo goes.. but you dont need things like a wicked wheel because we allready have one.. so ontop of 1600+ for just the turbo expect to spend another 600 or so for the rest of the parts to swap it in unless u can find them all used from some1. i agree with got diesel.. spdiesel makes an exhaust break setup that ive seen work and it works AWESOME.. you can pm csipsd about it he has one and loves it.. another mod no matter whose chip you end up going with is getting rid of the xle program computer and going with a pmt or nvk program computer.. the characteristics are like night and day.. even though you are running a handshaker..

·
504 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks, anything else, anything?

·
6,337 Posts
memcgrath said:
I really need some help here! I'm new to PSD and have recently bought an early '99 350 srw cc 4x4 6 speed. I have read everything I can get my hands, I think. When looking at mods I just get more and more confused about what I need or if I need any. So...I thought I would just explain what I need from this truck and see if you guys could suggest what I need. Not just mods but anything!

I've read up the difference between the '99 and the '99.5 but it dosen't compute in practical, workable terms. Maybe someone can explain all the problems I have, or will have because of model date (May '98) because I really want to fix this stuff before I'm stuck in the Baja with my wife and a murder charge looming.
So here goes...

I want reliable, economical, practical, necessary performance.
I'm too old to race anything, this truck will will spend as much time off road as on. I will carry a 1800lb cab over camper and pull another 1/2 to 1 ton trailer at times.
I don't want to crawl up hills, and I don't want to die because I can't stop going down them. I do my own work and can manage most everything that anybody with trashed back can. I have already put an AFe intake on this and have an MBRP 4" turbo back in the garage for this week. Some of my questions are...
Do I need a new turbo?
What about injectors, new 99.5 pedetal, wastegate, bypass oil, on and on and on...Thanks for any help!
I didnt see the milage on the truck, my 99 went 270,000 miles when I traded it in on a newer one, same turbo... I would not worry about a turbo at this point.

Try the Zoodad mod, its an intake mod where you remove a bit of the front header panel to allow more airflow. Do the CCV mod, remove the crank case vapors from your IC and vent it to air, this will keep the oily mess of your IC boots and keep them from blowing off at high boost. Get some gauges!!!! That is one of the first things on the list, Pyro-boost and in your case I would go with fuel pressure. You can shim the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) to about 70psi. You can do the HPX line (ITP). Intank mods (ITP). Boost regulator (ITP)...

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
moose,
what is the difference with the different computers?

·
6,337 Posts
memcgrath said:
moose,
what is the difference with the different computers?
More or less just softwear changes. The programing you dont change is better!

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
csipsd, what is the ITP moniker after the intake, hpx line, and boost mean?

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I figured out the ITP, however, what boost guage do i need 30 or 60?

·
6,337 Posts
At your mods I would go with a 30... If you go isspro gauges a 40# is very nice and will take care of you well into any mods you might do!

·
0 Posts
Early 99's respond very well to mods.

Gauges are a must. After that, your imagination and wallet will stop you.

Open up the intake and exhaust. I don't know if handshakers came with the cat or not...but...um...put the cat on a diet or have it get lost all together. Then go with a 4" quality exhaust.

Dump the early 99 pcm and get the PMT or NVK family of pcm. In your case...it really won't matter. The PMT keeps the TC locked for us auto guys while the NVK family unlocks the TC upon brake pedal depression.

Then contact the tuner of your choice. Don't be afraid to call them, explain what you want your truck to do, and they will set you up. You can get either a chip, tuner, or if you contact DP-Tuner...they can sell you a PCM already tuned (ie no chip necessary).

For cheap and easy mods...there is the pre-pump mod. There is the "Hutch" (in-tank) mod and the "poon" mod.

Oh...if nighttime driving is necessary...upgrade those headlights to crystal type headlights. Then put some good Sylvanias in there and you'll be amazed at how much more light comes out of the front of the truck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts