The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several threads about the differences in early and late 99's, what is the cheapest way to produce more healthy power ($1000-2000) and what are some other ways to do it. I also am not sure I understand all the tech. talk about pcm's. I have a good friend that run service at a big Ford dealer he says he can get me any processor I want for about 250.00 but neither him or I know if you can take a later year processor and put it in my 99 and it work or if it will damage something or if it will even do anything. I keep seeing posts about getting a PMT 1 is that the same as a processor from my ford friend or is that something totally different, any help would be appreciated. By the way my truck was man. 10 of 98.

·
6,337 Posts
You can run the same things as the later 99's you just might not build as much power as they do... But to build big power you will need injectors (the biggest limiting factor of the early 99's) So you will be about on the same level...

You want a PCM (Power Control Module) with a PMT or NVK family type. You should have a XLE3 right now, nothing wrong with it, just not as good as some of the laters!

·
Registered
103 Posts
The later PCM will work in your early '99 just fine, you'll get an AIH code but no big deal. I don't know if you can buy a PMT1 computer from the dealer as that code has been updated and all they will sell you is the newest update I believe. It doesn't really matter though, just get a DPC-422 model PCM and a chip with whatever program code you want on it.

·
0 Posts
Contact user SeeYa, as she and her husband Jody own DP-Tuner. They sell the later PCM's, and Jody can reburn a PCM to PMT1 as long as its within the same family.

And yep...you probably have an XLE coded PCM. They are horrible compared to the PMT coded box. The shifting is so much nicer.

Then open up the intake and exhaust, get yourself a good chip and enjoy your new truck.

·
RV Dealer Parts Guy
63 Posts
I'll second most of what was said above. For the $$$ you are talking I'd recommend:

1- Gauges are a must, EGT & Boost as a minimum, tranny temp also is a very good idea.

2- 4" exhaust sytem. If you in southern states, a aluminized system will last a long time. If you are up north, a "309" stainless system is the way to go.

3- Air intake: AFE, Tymar or an AIS w/ a Zoo-dad mod.

4- Call DP-Tuner and get a 99.5 PCM with a PMT-1 80hp econo tune flashed on it. The new PCM is a direct bolt in and easy to do once you have done it once or twice (I've done it in about 8 minutes) This is the most "bang-for-the-buck" mod I've ever done!

Trying to "chip" an early 99 PCM doesn't work out as well as the later 99.5 versions. My biggest complaint with the early 99/ XLE8 tune was the lame assed way the tranny functioned. With the PMT-1 tune, the improvement in tranny operation was unreal. The thing will now pull my camper up any hill in the U.P without dropping out of O/D. The improvment just blew me away.

Only only draw-back to the upgrades I've suggested is that you'll have to visit your physician afterwards. You'll have to get the S**t-eatin' perma-grin surgically removed from your face.

on edit: p.s.If you want read about my first drive with the DP-Tuner PCM installed, you can do it HERE.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok, I have been following along on a bunch of these threads and I have a question. is the physical PMC different on the 99.5 and up or is it just software? from what I have been reading for my early 99, if it is a hardware change then I need to order my F5 chip plus a new PMC from Jody with the good tune on it. is this correct?

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I still have my XLE-code PCM in the tool box of the truck because Jody didn't want it. Methinks he can't do anything with it because of the actual hardware. Plus, it makes a decent spare if you ever ran into trouble or wanted to loan it to a buddy who has trouble.

I drove my PMT-1 with the 80 econo for 14 months+ before going to the F5 and there are days I think I spent the $$ too soon on the F5 just because I need other supporting mods to really see a major difference in tuning (Jody's that good at knowing what our trucks are capable of without injectors, HPOP, tranny, fuel system, etc.).

I'm certain I'll have to have the chip re-programmed once I get a few more things accomplished (above and beyond what I initially told Jody when I got the F5).

Damned PMS.

prt

·
30 Posts
I also have an early '99 that I am thinking about getting a chip for. From all the reading I have done, people are suggesting that we should upgrade our PCM from the XLE to the PMT-1 because of the improvment in shifting. I am assuming this is for people with automatic transmissions. Is this still recommended or even needed for people that have a 6-speed? Does upgrading do anything else for you besides improve the shifting on the auto transmission? Will the F5 chip work with the XLE PCM? If it does, is it worth me spending the money on a PMT-1 PCM even though I have a 6-speed?

·
2,334 Posts
as far as the pcm is concerned if ur going with a DP tuner chip talk to jody first before u go out and get a new pcm.. talking to diane at smokin she said that jody has done some live tuning on the XLE programs so it could save u some money there.. as far as buying a burned pcm.. thats kinda iffy to me.. once u get it you will want more trust me! the early 99's are just as good as the rest with a few drawbacks. such as 120cc injectors smaller turbo and smaller hpop. the other drawback with the turbos is everything is diffrent when it comes to swapping it out. but you will FORSURE have forged rods!!!

·
0 Posts
The early 99 PCM's are in a different family than the later PCM's...so they can't be reburned to have PMT1 or NVK coding on them.

When I first got my truck...it was coded XLE1. Was by far the best of the XLE programs. Ford shoved that coding out...then got their hands slapped by the EPA IIRC, and then came the later burns. XLE2-7 are just horrid. XLE1 produced ok power..but had quirks like downshifting with the cruise on, but never upshifting back into OD. My dealer...against my wishes...reburnt my pcm to XLE8. It got rid of the quirks...but you could tell that it lost a bit on the top end. I still have my XLE8 box in the parts cabinent. For pulling a trailer or camper...the PMT1 pcm just rocks. The shifts are so much nicer compared to the XLE coding. Plus...like the XLE coding...it keeps the TC locked down to ~35mph before unlocking. The NVK coding is similar to PMT, but once the brakes are depressed, the TC unlocks in the NVK coding...better free wheeling. In my case...I like the additional engine braking I get with the fiver behind me that the PMT gives.

But I also agree with whats be stated before. Give Diane and Jody a call, explain what it is you wish to do with your truck, and let them recommend the best course of action.

·
30 Posts
ok, thanks for the advice. I will give Jody a call after the new year.

·
120 Posts
4cstr said:
The early 99 PCM's are in a different family than the later PCM's...so they can't be reburned to have PMT1 or NVK coding on them.

When I first got my truck...it was coded XLE1. Was by far the best of the XLE programs. Ford shoved that coding out...then got their hands slapped by the EPA IIRC, and then came the later burns. XLE2-7 are just horrid. XLE1 produced ok power..but had quirks like downshifting with the cruise on, but never upshifting back into OD. My dealer...against my wishes...reburnt my pcm to XLE8. It got rid of the quirks...but you could tell that it lost a bit on the top end. I still have my XLE8 box in the parts cabinent. For pulling a trailer or camper...the PMT1 pcm just rocks. The shifts are so much nicer compared to the XLE coding. Plus...like the XLE coding...it keeps the TC locked down to ~35mph before unlocking. The NVK coding is similar to PMT, but once the brakes are depressed, the TC unlocks in the NVK coding...better free wheeling. In my case...I like the additional engine braking I get with the fiver behind me that the PMT gives.

But I also agree with whats be stated before. Give Diane and Jody a call, explain what it is you wish to do with your truck, and let them recommend the best course of action.
Would there be any advantage to the TC unlocking with the NVK? NVK or PMT are about equally great for tuning?

Tim

·
0 Posts
I've been told that PMT and NVK are nearly identical when it comes to making power, shifting, etc. The only difference is the TC unlock when the brakes are applied. Some like the freewheeling that NVK provides. I like the added engine braking that PMT provides.

·
Registered
31 Posts
ok all this is fine and dandy, but if we are getting a F5 chip why would we need to change out our stock flash when the F5 has a stock position on it. I mean if we are happy with the stock flash is there a need to chane out the PMC if we are getting a F5 chip?

Steve

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pcm

It is my uneducated understanding that without changing the actual PCM your F-5 chip can not perform to its fullest due to the limitations of the PCM. The XLE boxes were not near as good as the newer ones, which Jody can fix you up with. Hope this helps a little.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It works

Guy's and Gal's thanks for all the advice,Jody and Diane from DP Tuners hooked me up with a new processor and a f5 chip with six positions no start, hi idle, stock 40 and 80 tow 80 econ and 120 perform. All I have had it on is 80 econ. and I love it, my early 99 is gone and I now have a new truck.

Thanks carl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts