The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like you folks out in the mid to Eastern US do things a lot different than the west. Quite honestly, from the forums it sounds like you guys know more about this stuff then anyone I talk to out here. I have an 03 7.3ltr, It's straight piped, 3". I run edge evoulution chip right now. Will probably sell it with my 97 7.3 liter for incentive to complete the sale. I want to upgrade. Been looking at the juice with att because of the in cab monitor. That would keep me from doing gauges. Also, like the fact that I could run at milage setting until I pull up to a stop light with a cummins and or duramax. With the push of a button, up the chip to extreme. I don't like how loud my truck is with no muf. What would you do for mostly milage, and not too noisy?:bow: Money is a concern, but will have some cash when I sell the 97.

·
504 Posts
I will give it a shot. Forget the Juice With Attitude. It's not gonna give you anything more than your Evo is giving you. Ya the in cab monitor is cool. I personally like gauges myself. If you like the monitor you can get one that is just a monitor.

On to the power. Get a custom burned chip. This will allow you to still run in an economy setting, and then flip it to an extreme tune. The best in the business for the 7.3 is and pretty much all of these get you to the same place so it all depends on who you feel like going with. Tony Wildman @ Total Diesel Performance. Jody Tipton @ DpTuner. Tadd Layton @ Elite Diesel. Any of those guys can get you just what you want. I know I used to have Wildman chip and love it. I used to have the Evo. I will never go back to it.

Muffler look at Aeroturbine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of price range are we looking at for these custom tuners? I guess my questions come in what is the best for the money?

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
the price range will be better then the Edge system.

·
504 Posts
The price for a set of gauges and the custom burned chip will be better than the Edge stuff.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Bertpalm said:
Looks like you folks out in the mid to Eastern US do things a lot different than the west. Quite honestly, from the forums it sounds like you guys know more about this stuff then anyone I talk to out here.
IMO, you need to talk to some different folks out here on the west coast! :mafia

"Got Diesel" gave you good information which is no different than the equipment alot of west coast guys run. I pulled a dually D-max by two truck lengths on a hill just last week! :woot:

·
6,337 Posts
Gauges... Isspro... Tuning... Elite Diesel...

·
TDG MAFIA #94
519 Posts
go with the custom burned chip, like previously said. Git bigger exhaust, 4" with mufler. this will help with milage and keep her quiet-er. custom burned chips are much cheper then edge stuff. that kit with the in-cab monitor will run you arround 1500 bucks...so git the chip then you can buy a in cab monitor such as this http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/61A2964A0A0.aspx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bargain!

I have a connection to pick up the Edge juice with Att for about 8 hundred. Does that change anything?
Do these tuners from DP and Elite shift on the fly then? Like the juice with att? Or do you have to program? How long does the programming take?
I heard the 80 hp economizer from DP is pretty sweet.
How much will the 4" with muffler help milage and how? I don't understand that.
I have a buddy with superchips in his 2001 7.3 F350. He claims hes getting 18 to 20 mpg. I'm doing about 11. What are you all getting, on average? I need to do better. I spend 35 bucks a week just driving to and from work. I only work four days a week.:thanks: You guys rock! Teaching me lots!

·
6,337 Posts
Bertpalm said:
I have a connection to pick up the Edge juice with Att for about 8 hundred. Does that change anything?
Do these tuners from DP and Elite shift on the fly then? Like the juice with att? Or do you have to program? How long does the programming take?
I heard the 80 hp economizer from DP is pretty sweet.
How much will the 4" with muffler help milage and how? I don't understand that.
I have a buddy with superchips in his 2001 7.3 F350. He claims hes getting 18 to 20 mpg. I'm doing about 11. What are you all getting, on average? I need to do better. I spend 35 bucks a week just driving to and from work. I only work four days a week.:thanks: You guys rock! Teaching me lots!
For $800 you could have a 6 pos chip and a better set of gauges. And your tranny will be much happier then with the Edge. All the chips mentioned are shift on the fly, turn the knob and your there.

A chip can be tuned for your code, not a generic psd tune that works on all years.

Your buddy with the superchips going by the overhead or he is lieing. Just us not going to happen. But with a good chip, intake and exhaust, you should see about 15-18.

4" exhaust helps by letting the truck exhale the spend gases qiucker, lowering drive pressures and EGT's:Thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats just what I was looking for!

I really wanted a price range. Tadds tunes thru Elite a good one, or still not going to keep my tranny happy?:watchout :shrug: What is the price range of the Dp or xcal2? Anyone? Sorry to bug, I don't want to call a dealer until I got the cash if ya know what I mean.

I love these forums! I've told all my buddies! Stumbled upon it in a search. So glad for the help! Thanks![/:thanks: COLOR]

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
A custom burned chip with 4 settings is still going to be 300 cheaper than the edge crap. Then take the money you saved and buy a good set of guages. Thats what i would do. Unless your really h*llbent on that POS edge chip.

·
6,337 Posts
Bertpalm said:
I really wanted a price range. Tadds tunes thru Elite a good one, or still not going to keep my tranny happy?:watchout :shrug: What is the price range of the Dp or xcal2? Anyone? Sorry to bug, I don't want to call a dealer until I got the cash if ya know what I mean.

I love these forums! I've told all my buddies! Stumbled upon it in a search. So glad for the help! Thanks![/:thanks: COLOR]

A 6 pos chip from any of the vendors is about 400-600, Good set of gauges are anywhere from 300-500 depending on the style. Any chip tuner worth there salt can tune a tranny to be very happy at a 80-100hp setting everyday, above that and your going to need a valve body and or TC to help out.

SCT Xcal2 is going to run you about $450-500 with three custom tunes.

Dont worry about the questions thats how most of us learned... And by spending WAY MORE cash then we care to think about...:poke: :pointlaugh

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool. I'm going to do that.
Do gauges come with, say the EGT probe? Are they easy to install? Is it a quick connect wires? Or is is similar to the Edge? I have installed an edge platinum on a 6.0 liter 2005. That wasn't bad at all.
Running 80 horse daily? Will that help with milage? Or is their a better tune for that?
Once again, Thanks!!

·
TDG MAFIA #94
519 Posts
Yes, the gauges come with all the hardware. the only other thing that you will need to buy is the pillar or where ever mount for the guages. yes, the 80 hp. has the econo. type tune.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, lets talk! I know that here in Utah all I hear about is the different chips. Bully Dog, Edge, Superchips, and a few more. I like what I hear about tuners though. Where did you pick up your DP tuner? How did that whole process go? Was it mail order? Was it easy to set up? How long did it take?

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you're ready to spend some time in front of the computer, go to the top of the page and about in the middle is a "Vendors" link. There you will find websites with plenty of good information including a link directly to DP Tuner. I got my PCM and chip directly from them.

Jody (DP Tuner) is very thorough with his information and will talk to you directly before any final decisions are made as to which programs will suit your needs. That is the big difference between the custom programmers and the large market, "one-size-fits-all" companies that you mentioned. Whatever your priorities are (pure power v. MPG v. tranny longevity v. ???) they can be met within reason. Adding power won't necessarily kill your tranny as much as how you use that new-found power!

Gauges are pretty straight forward. Some people don't like the idea of drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold for the EGT probe but it really is not that bad to do and there are other options (clamp) if you don't feel comfortable doing that. Otherwise, wiring up the gauge lights to the dimmer switch is probably the most time consuming part of the gauge install IMO. Common tools is all that is needed.

·
TDG MAFIA #94
519 Posts
i agree... the way you use your new found power decides on how long you keep the current tranny.

·
8 Posts
I paid 300 for my isspro gauges and you can get a custom burn chip alot less that $500 check out total diesel performace. aka Tony Wildman 817-932-5078
Just my 0.02
Rusty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts