The Diesel Garage banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Part three, 24hrs of Nascar is out. Up next: tow test vs. the Chebbie V8.

The same engine is currently running the Baja 1000 right now. There were 2 Ecoboost trucks entered - #898 Randy Merritt, and #899 Mike McCarthy. I think the 899 is the Ford Ecoboost Challenge one they have been promoting. As of this post, they are still running at about the 1/2 way point. You can follow their progress here. They are shown under class 8.

http://irctracking.com/2010/Baja1000/South/

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
We have an Ecoboost F150 on order and we will be tuning them. The processor is encrypted, like the 6.7L, but we'll get them dialed in. There's a lot of safe potential in the tuning, just like the current SHO, Flex, and Lincoln counterparts. :peelout

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
We have an Ecoboost F150 on order and we will be tuning them. The processor is encrypted, like the 6.7L, but we'll get them dialed in. There's a lot of safe potential in the tuning, just like the current SHO, Flex, and Lincoln counterparts. :peelout
:rock Can't wait, plus the F-150 drivetrain is way more robust than the SHO, Flex, etc.. so it should be pretty safe to add some more power.

·
Banned
713 Posts
Is tuning an Ecoboost similar to tuning a diesel? add more fuel increase boost etc etc?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Is tuning an Ecoboost similar to tuning a diesel? add more fuel increase boost etc etc?
No, it's actually quite a bit different. I started tuning gas vehicles in the 90's, before moving into diesel's in early 2000. It's a way different mindset and you can only apply a few techniques between the two.

EcoBoost tuning is much different than other Ford vehicles also.

Eric

·
133 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It's funny how people are *****ing the chebby 6.2L or tundra wasn't ran. Well, the EB isn't Ford's top engine. This is their med/upgrade motor that's only $1700 more than the base V6. I'm positive there will be a 6.2L shoot-out soon. The GM only makes peak power (below the Ford 6.2L on regular 87) on premium fuel. The turdra isn't even a factor, hope people don't die testing the turdra.

·
1,700 Posts
I think you will have your work cut out for you on this one, it does look like you can cheat the wastegate rods, but I noticed the PCM will take control of the ETB to also manipulate boost pressure. The turbos are real small, I just dont know how much more they can breath, I think under stock parameters they spin up to 205,000RPM too, just dont know if they will like spinning much faster than that.

Might be able to play around with the high pressure injection pump, waste gate rods, control solenoid, MAP and TIP boost pressure sensor. Just dont know what all can be manipulated in order to see gains.

I noticed they put paint marks on the wastegate rods and mounting bolts, if the paint marks prove that its been tampered with, people might have a problem getting warranty work.

Keep us informed on your progress please.

Reactions: Hydro

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I think you will have your work cut out for you on this one, it does look like you can cheat the wastegate rods, but I noticed the PCM will take control of the ETB to also manipulate boost pressure. The turbos are real small, I just dont know how much more they can breath, I think under stock parameters they spin up to 205,000RPM too, just dont know if they will like spinning much faster than that.

Might be able to play around with the high pressure injection pump, waste gate rods, control solenoid, MAP and TIP boost pressure sensor. Just dont know what all can be manipulated in order to see gains.

I noticed they put paint marks on the wastegate rods and mounting bolts, if the paint marks prove that its been tampered with, people might have a problem getting warranty work.

Keep us informed on your progress please.
Tuning looks similar to the current Ecoboost from the early release code, with the exception of encryption. The SHO is running 12.8 in the 1/4 mile with tuning alone. I'm sure it'll be a challenge, but part of the fun. :)

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
probally be a little while longer. The EB's are just begining to get installed on the assembly line. Trucks are due out in Feb.

·
16 Posts
Cool cool, I dont really know much about it. Sounds like a promising engine though. I wonder how it would sound straight piped lol:popcorn

·
195 Posts
From what I have read and heard from Ford the motor is actually designed to handle upwards of 600hp before any concern for longevity is needed. I do know people that have gotten a tune on the EB and ended up losing their warranty already. They are cranking down the bolts on that option.

·
3,306 Posts
Are there many performance mods out there for the new ecoboost such as intake, exhaust, and custom tuning?

·
811 Posts
Got the wife a SHO a few months back. Pretty cool car.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts