The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would stage 3 nozzles be good for some stoplight racing and towing (but not much towing). i plan on stacking with a hypertech, not the best but thats what i got. so the just of this is, are stage 3 nozzle ok for just daily driving and whats the smoke level like on a scale of 1-10. or should i consider some thing else? i am not going for all out power cause i just dont need it, but i would like to bet some people from the stoplights:evil: . and this combo proably anit good enough to bet an 05 is it? sorry bout all the questions but any feed back would be great:bow: :popcorn:

·
3,514 Posts
That depends on what the 05 has done to it. stock or limited mods sure it will beat it. 05 with some fueling mods then probably not. Have you done anything to your trans yet? and what do you mean by not much towing? Not towing a lot of weight or not towing often. If you aren't towing a lot of weight these nozzles should work fine. My friend ran them his truck combine with an edge comp and destroyed his trans in very short order. So if you still have a stock trans, don't expect it to last.
Sean

·
Registered
422 Posts
I really just have the edge juice with attitude, but i can still beat an 05 on level 3... and this isn't 100 horse additional. The 2nd gens have plenty of potential, they just start out lower stock than an 05 or 06

·
Registered
422 Posts
o yea and if you want to race off of a light, powerbrake it and build some boost before you take off, if you didn't already know, it makes a world of difference.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry my thread wasnt very easy to understand. the 05 is my dads and its totally stock. what i ment by not towing very much is that its a 16ft flatbed trail with fourwheelers, and maybe a 18ft cattle trailer once in a blue moon and its not more than 50 miles . ya i did know that you can boost and take off better i just didnt say it. soory about the confusion next time i will try to be more clear. any way thanx for the info. and the tranny is still stock, but that shouldnt take long:nunu: . and yes i will have gauges (egt, fp, boost) before i do this. about that fuel pressure gauge i read that it cant be mounted inside the cab, is this right??

·
3,514 Posts
fuel pressure gauge can be mounted inside the cab, but you'll want to get either an electric gauge or you'll need an isolator. I had a leak on mine, outside and it dripped down the line and came in. I definitely wouldn't run fuel inside the cab though. But there are options so that you can mount your F/P in the cab.
Sean

·
4,158 Posts
The stage 3's are pretty good for just a little of everything, a buddy of mine had the edge stage 3's with an edge comp and level 4 and 5 it will blow some nice smoke, 1-10 probably like a 6 or 7, And towed his 5th wheel camper with them, and also ran 9.9 in the 1/8 mile with them.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool you guys answer quesions great!:Thumbup: i never ran down a real drag strip just some in the back roads. is that 1/8 mile in 9.9 good and was that with the comp on. i now the nozzles arent that big i just like to konw a lot of details before i buy (had a banks experince one time:damnit )and i like to now a 0-60 if you know it. :thanks: also i read on a nother forum that this could be way to much for my turbo. i dont have gauges but will be for i get them. i just didnot think that the nozzles and hypertech would be to much, but i dont know?

·
4,158 Posts
Well if you have and auto you have the HY35, which is the same turbo my buddy has and he is running alot through it and it is holding up really well, for that small of a turbo but it does get hot pretty quick. But it should be fine for a little, and make sure you get gauges soon! That should be one of your first mods.

And the time he had was with the comp on i'm not sure if it was one level 4 or 5. But it was on. The 0-60 time i don't know off the top of my head, i'll ask him next time i see him or maybe he will chime in here (he is akapparos on here) And his time of 9.9 is OK (no offense Alex) if you think about it, it's probably about 16-18 in the 1/4 mile give or take a little.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
Stage 3's will be no problem at all. Stage 4's will be fine as well. The weakest link you have is the tranny. It won't hold very well with mods. The stage 3's with the comp on level one was enough for my tranny to slip. It had 175,000 on it at the time. I would do a t/c and v/b before going above the stage 3's. You could maybe do the stage 4's with the hypertech because of the difference between it and an edge. Put in your gauges, turnbuckle the turbo, and keep an eye on your egt and you will be fine. I am putting in a set of stage 5's and I don't think I will have any problems towing. You just have to feather the right foot according to the terrain.
As far as racing goes, I was on 5x5 and 4x4 at the dragstrip and was turning in the same times more or less. I broke the tires loose on every run and had to stay light on the throttle the whole time because the tires came loose on every shift. With a 4wd your times would have been much better. You will definately kill the 05 with the nozzles and hypertech if the tranny will put it to the ground. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
about that turnbuckle, i had ne at one time but didnt have the gauges so i took it off. how much pressure will it have, will it make it get hot, and it wouldnt haave enough pressure to blow a head gasket would it. but that is exactly what i wanted to hear excellent job! :thanks: :bow: and the gauges will be first of cousre maybe at thanksgiving time:Thumbup:

·
4,158 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the turnbuckle does is keeps the wastegate open for longer, therefore making more boost. I'm not sure how much boost you will be making with the turnbuckle somebody else will have to chime in on that. And no the HY35 I think is only rated for 45lbs which really isn't enough to blow a head gasket, once you get to about 60lbs+ you have the risk of blowing a gasket.

·
TDG Mafia Member #21
1,345 Posts
I can get 42psi with my current setup and YES it gets hot in a hurry. That is why you need the gauges. I have seen over 1500* at WOT at the drag strip at Smokin'. The turnbuckle is definatly a temporary solution until funds for a new turbo are available.

·
Registered
422 Posts
well if you have the 01 auto, you definately have the HY35... sorry.... i had one too. They can't handle anything. Not only does the exhaust temp skyrocket, but the back pressure caused by the small exhaust housing is hard on the motor. When i first got my truck i added the juice with attitude. it would handle levels 1 and 2 without hitting 1250 right away and defueling. but after 1 and 2 the numbers went way too fast. on level 5 it would take off and about 60 foot later it would be about done, and this is before the turnbuckle. I don't know for shure about the stage 3 injectors and how they will match with the turbo, but if you don't turnbuckle the wastegate the temps will go way too fast because there isn't enough air flowing to push the hot exhaust gas out. If you have plans for this truck, over shoot on the turbo, this will give you some room to grow and it spools a little slower.. therefore more smoke... atleast for longer

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
THE BEST FORUM EVER MORE RESPONES THAN ANY I AM ON1:Thumbup: any way i know the turbo is gay but i can live with it for a few months:nunu: what kind of turbo would i need for this set up. the most this pick up will get is a smarty on top of the nozzles. and the tranny will be soon and then the turbo. towing will be to a minium and racing will be mainl street and some drag so what ever ya think would great to know, dont know any thing bout turbos really:shrug: :damnit

·
3,514 Posts
with that set up, I'd say go with an Htb2 64/14 or a 64/12. As far as your stock turbo is concerned you will grenade it before you blow your head gasket, but keep in mind that grenading it is way worse. I know that with the hx35 the top end of the compressor map falls around 32psi after that and you just start pushing hot air and building EGT's. The Hy35 should be similar, and probably a bit lower because the small exhaust housing means the drive pressure is too high. Or the Back pressure in the Exhaust manifold is too high relative to the amount of boost being produced. This also adds stress to the turbine shaft as well. I would definitely get a boost gauge and try to keep it around 32-35psi. 40 shouldn't hurt your turbo, but 45psi is probably starting to get risky.
Sean

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what is an htb 64/12 and 64/14

·
3,514 Posts
http://www.htturbo.com/

A 62/14 "Super Stock" or even the "Street Stock" would do quite nicely for you.
Street stocks run about 1500
Super Stocks run about 1700

Hope this answers your question. you could get a 64 and grow into it, but you'd have to be planning on some big mods. the Super Stock would still give you a bit of room to grow though.
Sean

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah you got it:usflag

1 - 19 of 19 Posts