The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the post on the Edge's Racing Programmer and have a question. What is the problem with Edge and people's trannies going bad? I'm not sure I want to spend 1500. plus on a tuner so I was looking at at the Attitude with Juice for the 6.4. My truck is not a daily driver, sits in garage mainly cuz I have a company truck.

Any feedback on the Edge would be helpful. I tow our toy hauler and drive here and there mainly so I'm not looking for the most power or quickest times in the quarter mile. I like to be able to shift on the fly. If i were to get the juice can this be run with the dpf or just do the delete and get a S&B intake. Gotta be careful in what I do cuz dealer here goes by the book and since my motor has already been torn down because of a bedplate leak, they kind of have their eye on it for problems occurring again. I know everyone runs the spartan tunes on here so take it easy on me for asking. Not sure what to do.

·
BCJAG72
139 Posts
If you are that worried about your warranty then leave it stock. If you think the dealer is looking at your truck for ways of voiding your warranty you don't want to give him any amo. I have had my truck in for warranty work, nothing major after having the SCT and the Spartan and they said nothing. Every time I took it to the dealer it has been all stock except for the DPF back MBRP Cool Duals. I would leave it stock if you are worried and if you don't want gut wrenching power. The stock truck will pull fine. I have heard too many bad things about Edge. If you do anything then either Spartan or SCT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
People buy chips and tuners and then beat the piss out of their trucks. That's why chips and tuners blow transmissions.

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not that they are looking to void warranty, it's the first time the had to tear down the 6.4 with only 4200 miles on it. That's why they have their eye on it. They reported that was Fords first Bedplate leak for that motor. I think they are watching it for their own sake of the work that they did. That happen last summer. friends of mine are running the Edge products one has the evolution and other is running one on his dodge. Dodge has the juice though. No problems with them and well over 40,000 miles.

·
BCJAG72
139 Posts
your friends have Dodges. Haven't heard any good things for the 6.4 though. THe 6.4 is a whole different beast then the Cummins.

·
Registered
370 Posts
People buy chips and tuners and then beat the piss out of their trucks. That's why chips and tuners blow transmissions.
The correct tranny tuning can increase the tranny life even on a modified truck. Stock trucks "beat" or driven wrong blow transmissions, it's not a tuner/chip issue with the right tuning. Ask all the people that have been running spartan's/Nutty's tuning with stock tranny's, I haven't seen a broken one yet.

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your friends have Dodges. Haven't heard any good things for the 6.4 though. THe 6.4 is a whole different beast then the Cummins.
Just to straighten this out, 1 buddy has a 07 F-350 with 44,000 some miles running the Evolution from Edge and other buddy has the Dodge Mega Cab dually running juice from Edge. To date no problems with trannies in either one and we all do trailer towing for the one buddies shop.

·
102 Posts
well if you decide to go with the juice w/ attitude i have a brand new one in the box never opened that i will let go for 400 plus shipping thats half the price you will spend for it let me know thanks 516-852-2489

·
Ford 6.4 it's just cooler
673 Posts
The correct tranny tuning can increase the tranny life even on a modified truck. Stock trucks "beat" or driven wrong blow transmissions, it's not a tuner/chip issue with the right tuning. Ask all the people that have been running spartan's/Nutty's tuning with stock tranny's, I haven't seen a broken one yet.

you beat me to it:thumbsup

·
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well if you decide to go with the juice w/ attitude i have a brand new one in the box never opened that i will let go for 400 plus shipping thats half the price you will spend for it let me know thanks 516-852-2489
So tell me, why did you change your mind?

·
2,126 Posts
No one that I know of here has ran Edge's new racing programmer so I don't know how people would know about transmission tuning. I've ran an Edge on 2 6.0's for 50,000+ on each one and had no tranny problems.

As for the J/A you can run them with the DPF but it fills it up faster.

·
Just Cowboy Up and Do It!
37 Posts
You can look at my signature and see what kind of truck I have. I bought an Edge Juice w/ Attitude and have used it for about 20,000 miles. Stock, I was getting 11.3 MPG, about half highway, half city driving. With the Edge, (setting 5) I got 11.8, same driving. These numbers are hand fugured, though in my truck the lie-o-meter was very close. I never had any issues with the transmission, but I don't normally beat on the truck either.

I took the Edge off simply because I'm hoping to increase my fuel mileage, as well as increase the driveablity of my truck. I was somewhat disappointed with the overall performace of the Edge.

I have Spartan tunes on order, along with a DPF delete. I don't plan on being disappointed again.

·
179 Posts
Edge=plugged DPF

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's not really what I was getting at. The point that I am trying to convey is that people that buy chips and tuners are much more likely to be hard on their trucks, be it racing, towing or just romping on it all the time. The chips/tuners are not causing the trucks to fail, but the reason you hear about it is because those are the people beating the trucks up.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You can still get some benefits from the E/J with the DPF intact. Use it at level 0 or 1 when towing. Allow the system to go thru full regen and you should be just fine.

You get gauges, especially the ability to monitor EGT's, set it to defuel under certain conditions, know when the system is in regen, and read/delete trouble codes.

Do not expect much gain in fuel mileage.

·
179 Posts
okay klutch, are you speaking from experience or what? trying to find out more about this product.

Yes I'm speaking from experience. Had it on a truck and 2 other guys in my area as well and all 3 trucks were in regen way to often. Fuel milage got worse as time went on. Never again, will I go with DPF on tuning.

Reactions: DieselOnly
1 - 17 of 17 Posts