The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about SCT turner can turner off egr, to keep exhaust from mixing with intake. Do you have to plug the right Y pipe? Does closing the egr valve heat up the egr cooler if pipe is still open?

I have no mods. 7700lbs truck is not a race toy for me. It a business rig. If I need exhaust pipe added for turner, I will think about it. As for air intake this has been open behind grill. Its hard to beat the stock ram induction. Also easier to clean and detail engine

I hoping for a way to keep the black crap out of intake. Also to put all back to stock if warranty work is needed? Is the SCT turner something kept in the truck or
like a flash, a down load and take out?

Thanks

BL

Black Lariat Loaded / 2006 F350/Auto/CC/SB/Chrome Pkg/ Ordered 5/06.
With most options. BGF-KO 325/60/20 on Jesse James 20"/ Harley Emblems

·
Registered
199 Posts
The SCT is a handheld programmer. It plugs in to the OBD II port to download files. When you are done, you unplug it and put it where ever you want. The garage, the house, the glove box etc.... As far as I know, the SCT is the only unit that will turn off the EGR. Some people have unplugged their EGR's, but that can throw a code depending on your truck. If you were to run an economy tune for mileage the factory exhaust is ok. For a high power or race file, you definately want the truck to breath a little more. I would also reccomend at least getting a pyrometer to be on the safe side.

·
1,171 Posts
I would get a pyro, egt, and trans temp gauges. The X Cal 2 can program the puter to turn the EGR off. With Innovative's Extreme Street tune I picked up over 1 mpg. Keith

·
162 Posts
To tag on to the original question...

What exactly does turning the EGR off with the SCT do? Keep recycled exhaust out of intake? Keep hot exhaust out of cooler?

If hot exhaust still gets pushed into cooler, won't there still be the issue of 'flashing' the coolant?

Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
EGR is used to REDUCE combustion temperatures, thereby limiting the production of NOx (a pollutant).

The way it works is by mixing 0%-20% of the total intake charge as exhaust. Exhaust contains no oxygen, so it will not support combustion.

The EGR cooler reduces the temperature of that 0%-20% of the exhaust that is routed into the intake stream from approximately 600*F to 250*F by passing coolant thru the cooler.

After the exhaust leaves the EGR cooler it travels to the EGR valve, this valve meters the exact amount of exhaust that gets into the intake stream. This varies by exhaust back pressure, intake pressure (actually the pressure differential between intake and exhaust manifolds), and the amount the EGR valve is open.

By keeping the EGR valve closed, ZERO exhaust flow travels thru the EGR cooler. While the EGR cooler is physically attached to the "y" pipe, and there will be some heat transfer, it is greatly reduced because no exhaust flow moves thru the cooler with the EGR valve closed. You cannot "push" exhaust out of a welded pipe any more than you can "push" it thru a closed EGR valve. Therefore, the heat load on the EGR cooler will be dramatically less than with a fully functioning EGR system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Puking effect?

John_G said:
EGR is used to REDUCE combustion temperatures, thereby limiting the production of NOx (a pollutant).

The way it works is by mixing 0%-20% of the total intake charge as exhaust. Exhaust contains no oxygen, so it will not support combustion.

The EGR cooler reduces the temperature of that 0%-20% of the exhaust that is routed into the intake stream from approximately 600*F to 250*F by passing coolant thru the cooler.

After the exhaust leaves the EGR cooler it travels to the EGR valve, this valve meters the exact amount of exhaust that gets into the intake stream. This varies by exhaust back pressure, intake pressure (actually the pressure differential between intake and exhaust manifolds), and the amount the EGR valve is open.

By keeping the EGR valve closed, ZERO exhaust flow travels thru the EGR cooler. While the EGR cooler is physically attached to the "y" pipe, and there will be some heat transfer, it is greatly reduced because no exhaust flow moves thru the cooler with the EGR valve closed. You cannot "push" exhaust out of a welded pipe any more than you can "push" it thru a closed EGR valve. Therefore, the heat load on the EGR cooler will be dramatically less than with a fully functioning EGR system.

How will this effect the chance of coolant puking? By the way can someone explain to me and/or recommend "firering" and "head bolts" to get. I want to make my 6.0 bullet proof!!:Thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts