The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the way i did my EGR delete was like this. i took the original oil cooler and cut it shorter. how short? for me i just marked it while it was in the truck and cut it where i wanted. i then cut it part way thru by the neck to help remove all the little tubes. i welded up the cut and then cut the other side. this is why it is welded all the way around by the neck. i made a round plate to weld to the end of it and then drilled a hole in the center. part of the elbow that originally had the little rubber hose was cut and welded to the plate. lastly, i used a washer to close up the larger hole that goes to the intake manifold. and then, done. EGR delete "crackpipe" style. as for the exhaust side, i just welded a plate onto it and clamped it back up.

this is installed without the clamps

the exhaust cap

Garrett

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
I haven't ever seen inside of an EGR cooler, so I don't know what it looks like..... Is the cooler now just a tube that is filling with coolant now, or what?? I am trying to picture how the coolant is routing through it.......

Thanks!

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
No on the end by the uppipe there is a small radiator in it, so you have a big tube with a small tune running from the intake coolant port to the lil radiator then out to the oil cooler, and yes the flow actually goes from oil cooler egr to intake. :thumbsup

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
No on the end by the uppipe there is a small radiator in it, so you have a big tube with a small tune running from the intake coolant port to the lil radiator then out to the oil cooler,
Ok, so it would seem you are cutting the part with the radiator off.... Is that correct?? And if so, is there a tube on the inside of the cooler that you are welding the extra external tube to?? Or am I missing something here?? (I could probably picture this easier if I knew what the cooler looks like before the cut end is welded up......)

and yes the flow actually goes from oil cooler egr to intake. :thumbsup
Yeah, I knew how the coolant flows......... Just not real clear on how you modify the cooler's insides into the "crackpipe"...

Sorry to be a pain....... Just trying to understand how this particular mod is fabbed up.....

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
inside the cooler are a bunch of little tubes. the only real thing that i did/would do is remove all the tubes. thats how i described cutting by the neck to help get them out. if you do it you will see what im talking about.

Garrett

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoo thats acrack pipe.......! Whats the diffrence from the one garrett did to the oher one?
they do the same thing. which is to transfer coolant from the manifold to the oil cooler. or the other way. its just cut down way smaller. im sure i could make one like that, i just need a cooler to do it to.

Garrett

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did a guys when I was replacing the head gaskets and simply welded a freeze plug(29mm) in the exhaust inlet(y-pipe side) and another at the outlet(intake side). The coolant will still flow as from the factory but no chance for exhaust gas to heat it up or cause it to leak. Way cheaper than a delete kit and works the same. Also looks factory so wont throw too many flags in the air when you take it in(just egr insufficient soft codes, no CEL).

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just did a guys when I was replacing the head gaskets and simply welded a freeze plug(29mm) in the exhaust inlet(y-pipe side) and another at the outlet(intake side). The coolant will still flow as from the factory but no chance for exhaust gas to heat it up or cause it to leak. Way cheaper than a delete kit and works the same. Also looks factory so wont throw too many flags in the air when you take it in(just egr insufficient soft codes, no CEL).
ever heard of freeze plugs melting? well, it has happened. also, ever heard of heat transfer? that happens too. the freeze plugs will work the majority of the time but i wouldnt risk it with the chance that it might not work.

Garrett

·
Registered
4 Posts
ever heard of freeze plugs melting? well, it has happened. also, ever heard of heat transfer? that happens too. the freeze plugs will work the majority of the time but i wouldnt risk it with the chance that it might not work.

Garrett
Although sure it is possible I guess It has been going on for some time and there is actually a ford tech that does it on everyone he takes off. Even if it did somehow fail what would it do? Let exhaust gas flow, thats it. Now look at the advantages. It costs virtually nothing besides labor and it looks bone stock. Now I obviously used high quality plugs and they still only costs about $2.50. Also do you think a freeze plug would melt before solder welds on the straws??? Think about it.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although sure it is possible I guess It has been going on for some time and there is actually a ford tech that does it on everyone he takes off. Even if it did somehow fail what would it do? Let exhaust gas flow, thats it. Now look at the advantages. It costs virtually nothing besides labor and it looks bone stock. Now I obviously used high quality plugs and they still only costs about $2.50. Also do you think a freeze plug would melt before solder welds on the straws??? Think about it.
yeah, i thought about it. thats why i didnt use a freeze plug when i welded my uppipe shut. thats also why i didnt use freeze plugs to plug my EGR.

Garrett

·
Registered
4 Posts
yeah, i thought about it. thats why i didnt use a freeze plug when i welded my uppipe shut. thats also why i didnt use freeze plugs to plug my EGR.

Garrett
Well to each theyre own man. I dont see the failure possibilty that you are seeing but heck maybe im wrong. Its not like we are talking a crappy plug or a brass one but a Quality thick steel one. I had a Guy ask me today if it would rust but wouldnt it do so on the block for which it were designed(same coolant)? Im not trying to start nothing here but I was simply throwing out an idea that I have done and others have as well and I will continue to do as long as guys want me too. If you weigh the options between cost and functionality im sure you would admit its a good route to go. Same results but cleaner install for a couple of bucks. If it did possibly fail even though I dont think it is possible because I can tell you its not going to melt, it would simply allow exhaust gas to flow through the egr cooler as it were designed but it would not enter the intake because the other side it plugged and welded as well. Again to each theyre own.

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well to each theyre own man. I dont see the failure possibilty that you are seeing but heck maybe im wrong. Its not like we are talking a crappy plug or a brass one but a Quality thick steel one. I had a Guy ask me today if it would rust but wouldnt it do so on the block for which it were designed(same coolant)? Im not trying to start nothing here but I was simply throwing out an idea that I have done and others have as well and I will continue to do as long as guys want me too. If you weigh the options between cost and functionality im sure you would admit its a good route to go. Same results but cleaner install for a couple of bucks. If it did possibly fail even though I dont think it is possible because I can tell you its not going to melt, it would simply allow exhaust gas to flow through the egr cooler as it were designed but it would not enter the intake because the other side it plugged and welded as well. Again to each theyre own.
maybe, but i still wouldnt do it. i would rather weld a washer in place of a freeze plug.

or like the last one i did, tig a nice piece of stainless there. :thumbsup.

Garrett

1 - 20 of 26 Posts