The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The EGR system is really not hard to do. I was like you looking for info and I seen a few pics but nothing that really helped. If you guys have ever worked on your truck it shouldn't be hard. Step by step of what I did.

1. First I removed the alternator, fan guard, fan blade and main fuel line from pmp to engin block.

2. I removed the turbo and took all the bolts of the cover. You will need to remove the oil fiter housing to remove the one under that. Once all bolts where free and clear I pulled the cover out far enough to get to the egr cooler. I didn’t completely remove it just rested it on the top f the radiator. For the EGR cooler I took it to Home Depot and found 2 washers that fit snuggly in each end.

3. Set both washers in far enough to allow room to weld them. I suggest a fab shop. I then welded both ends and I made sure that I didn’t go to high but high enough to grind it down. The same goes for the hole on the washer.

4. To make sure it is sealed once you are done grinding or welding pour water in it and hold the hot end facing the ground. If there is a hole the steam from the water will show it.

5. Once done put it back in and put your beast back together.


Fast, Cheap and Easy. Good luck fell free to let me know if you have any questions or refer to my post EGR delete by QUICKSHIP
 

Attachments

·
TDG Mafia #76
Joined
·
2,542 Posts
Good job, looks like you did a good job on it!!

Maybe Dave or Wayne can make this a post in the Ford how to section. I don't think there's one in there yet...
 

·
Contain the BTU's...
Joined
·
650 Posts
Very nice work! :Thumbup:

We discussed the possibility of having a tubing OEM make the delete kit of SS. Anyone capable of tight refrigeration type bends could easily make the "snake" on a 3D bender. About $35.00 ??? WOW, we didn't get there.

Again great effort.

:usflag

Wekiwa
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
777 Posts
hey quick ship what size pipe and hose did you use? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Droolinforparts said:
hey quick ship what size pipe and hose did you use? Thanks
The pictures are of a andvance version. You can keep the EGR cooler by following the steps above. It keeps the engine looking stock and is easier. Just plug both ends of the exhaust inlets and put it back on. The cooler will still alow flow but only for the coolant. The egr valve you can lift the valves and cut them out. I found that this will stop throwing the egr valve codes.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
777 Posts
the reason i want to do the delete is because i have a cracked egr cooler
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if the egr is cracked from the inside like mine was this will still work. the exhaust chamber will just fill up with coolant and flow will still be there. I hd a lot of coolant getting into the heads because of the crack and welding the ends fixed it. the other way would be to make the new tube and the cut the old cooler behind the inlet for the y pipe and use that to make you freeze plug. I am sure that the welding technique will work for you as it did for me.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
777 Posts
ok thanks
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
777 Posts
sorry got another question when you pull all of the stuff off to get to the cooler are there any gaskets or seals that you have to replace or can you get away with using them again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I did my truck I lifted and pulled the intake towards the radiator to wear I had enough room to get the egr. I didn't replace the gaskets and the gasket on the egr cooler I just re-used when I put it back together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are going to have it apart you minus will replace them. I know they come with the new EGR cooler but I dont know if the dealers sell them seperatly.
 

·
off to another home
Joined
·
15,472 Posts
nice post. i want to get rid of mine or at least stop the coolant flow because i think mine is cracked. either way, my warranty is up soon so im not worried about looking stock. thanks.

Garrett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the feedback on my post. I have learned a lot on this website in the last year. before this site I couldn't even imagine doing the work that I am able to do now on all my vehicles. it is only right that I help everyone else out to because I use to have the same questions a few months ago.
 

·
Member
Joined
·
444 Posts
This seems like a lot more work than just replacing the uppipe with a sneaky pipe from Elite Diesel. If you don't have a crack in your EGR cooler you probably don't 'need' to bypass it. The uppipe is doable in an evening with the right tools and a friend to help hold bolts.

Another advantage is you also get rid of that scoop in the stock uppipe (05+ trucks).

My $.02.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
3,306 Posts
pstrang said:
This seems like a lot more work than just replacing the uppipe with a sneaky pipe from Elite Diesel. If you don't have a crack in your EGR cooler you probably don't 'need' to bypass it. The uppipe is doable in an evening with the right tools and a friend to help hold bolts.

Another advantage is you also get rid of that scoop in the stock uppipe (05+ trucks).

My $.02.
yeah this is exactly what i did. I cut off the branch tube that goes to the egr cooler and welded the up-pipe closed. Then capped off the egr cooler and kept it on the truck. So now the exhaust gases don't go through the egr cooler even though it's still on the truck.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
775 Posts
QU1CKSH1P said:
Hello,

The EGR system is really not hard to do. I was like you looking for info and I seen a few pics but nothing that really helped. If you guys have ever worked on your truck it shouldn't be hard. Step by step of what I did.

1. First I removed the alternator, fan guard, fan blade and main fuel line from pmp to engin block.

2. I removed the turbo and took all the bolts of the cover. You will need to remove the oil fiter housing to remove the one under that. Once all bolts where free and clear I pulled the cover out far enough to get to the egr cooler. I didn’t completely remove it just rested it on the top f the radiator. For the EGR cooler I took it to Home Depot and found 2 washers that fit snuggly in each end.

3. Set both washers in far enough to allow room to weld them. I suggest a fab shop. I then welded both ends and I made sure that I didn’t go to high but high enough to grind it down. The same goes for the hole on the washer.

4. To make sure it is sealed once you are done grinding or welding pour water in it and hold the hot end facing the ground. If there is a hole the steam from the water will show it.

5. Once done put it back in and put your beast back together.


Fast, Cheap and Easy. Good luck fell free to let me know if you have any questions or refer to my post EGR delete by QUICKSHIP
Was this done on your truck that you got Ford to replace for being a lemon?:usflag :shrug:
 

·
Too much into it now...
Joined
·
2,011 Posts
Droolinforparts said:
hey quick ship what size pipe and hose did you use? Thanks

I would like to know this as well.

I would like to know the size of the "U" shape tubing used to delete the cooler itself. It looks like it could be 3/4" ID, but hard to say.
The closest "180" I can make with 3/4" SS tubing with no kinks is over 6" wide. But, if I used fittings...it is WAY tighter, and alot more $$$$$$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
Just get a 180º piece of heater hose, thats what I did.

Extended Power said:
I would like to know this as well.

I would like to know the size of the "U" shape tubing used to delete the cooler itself. It looks like it could be 3/4" ID, but hard to say.
The closest "180" I can make with 3/4" SS tubing with no kinks is over 6" wide. But, if I used fittings...it is WAY tighter, and alot more $$$$$$.
 

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
the new up-pipes from Ford,..don't have the scoop anymore,..guess they changed the design
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
heavyhaller said:
Was this done on your truck that you got Ford to replace for being a lemon?:usflag :shrug:

yeah the truck I did this on is the my old one. it worked perfectly but I fixed it a little to late because my head gaskets were already shot. the one thing was that it no longered puked or overheated. I also just helped a friend of mine do it on his 07 and it is working fine to. his truck actually runs a little cooler now.

ford didn't replace my truck as a lemon they just made a sweet enough deal on a new truck along with paying of my old one which was only a few grand. at the end of the day I have both trucks and I only owe about 29k on the f450.
 
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
Top