The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed egr blocker plate and finger stick that I bought from Kennedy Diesel ($55). It was an easy job thanks to detailed instructions (off their web site), it took an hour outside in the cold. Just wanted to give them a few props.:D

·
182 Posts
do the PCV reroute too, with the PCV still conected to the intake and the EGR blocked off, all the oil seems to puddle in the EGR cooler. I took my up pipes off and put an EGRless bigger up pipe on and you wouldn't beleive how much oil came out after I took off the blocker plate.

·
I now drive a Duramax...
318 Posts
What is the benefit of the egr blocker?

·
182 Posts
Keeps soot from coming back into the engine. The soot mixed with the oil residue from the PCV make one nasty paste that sticks to everything in the intake.

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doc-What's involved w/ the pcv re-route and who's got parts?

·
182 Posts
Its easy enough to do yourself with parts from the auto parts store. If you look under the hood there is a hard plastic line running from valve cover to valve cover and it connects to the intake on the turbo mouth piece.

All I did was get some 5/8" heater hose, some hose clamps and a T-joint to connect the heater hose together.

Pull the hard plastic line off ( held on with a 10mm bolt on each valve cover) then I cut the hard line on each end. Just leave enough to slide the heater hose over it and clamp it.

Put enough heater hose to go valve cover to valve cover like the stock line did.

Decide where you want to put the T-joint and cut the line and put the joint in.

Connect more heater hose to the T joint and route it under the truck somewhere, a lot of guys slide it into one of the holes in the frame. No oil really comes out b/c its not being sucked out of the line like the turbo did to it.

All in all its pretty simple, I'll get some pics up later to help explain.

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Dr. I'm gonna give it a go soon. Was busy w/ holidays and all that but appreciate the advice. Basically just vent it to air? So how does this keep oil from collecting in egr cooler? With egr blocked off the valve shouldn't operate so how does oil vapor that's in charge air get into cooler?

·
182 Posts
Thanks Dr. I'm gonna give it a go soon. Was busy w/ holidays and all that but appreciate the advice. Basically just vent it to air? So how does this keep oil from collecting in egr cooler? With egr blocked off the valve shouldn't operate so how does oil vapor that's in charge air get into cooler?
I just have mine vented to air under the truck.

The reason it collects oil with the EGR blocked off is it is no loger flowing air though the EGR cooler. The way the EGR connects to the intake plumbing is just past the grid heater it connects to the bottom of the aluminum intake piping. Since its on the bottom of it and there is no air flow from it any oil residue settles into the cooler.

I wish I would have taken some pictures of the LLY that we just had the intake y-bridge off of. It has had the EGR blocked and PCV rerouted for quite some time, but the residue in the intake from before it was done was really nasty.

In the coming months I'll have my motor apart and I'll post some pictures of the nasty crap that builds up before I clean it off.

·
resident mason
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good to know. thanks.

·
182 Posts
Here's a couple of quick pics, got home after dark so I was just pointing the camera and seeing what came out, lol.

Here is the PCV mount in the passenger side, it is on the valve cover under the intake piping from the filter and behind the intake grid heater.

Here is where we attached the 5/8" heater hose to the stock line on the passenger side. (I used a small pipe cutter to cut the plastic line)

Here is where the line goes over the turbo to the drivers side.

Here is the drivers side PCV connection to the valve cover.

Here is the T-fitting on the drivers side, we didn't use hose clamps on it b/c it fit tight and we didn't have any laying around the shop, plus there is no pressure in there at all so I wasn't worried about it.

Here is a top view of the hose connecting the 2 sides just behind the intake plumbing over the turbo.

And here is where it is routed from the T fitting to the bottom of the truck, we routed it behind the power steering pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts