The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my father-in-law has an 08 F-250 6.4l. He has put on a MBRP exhaust with a DPF delete. He still has the cat. He also has tuned this with the SCT livewire. Yesterday he had an issue where he had no power:bang. So he put the stock tune back in and had just enough power to get it to the dealer about 2 miles away. The thing was also blowing black smoke like crazy:bang. So he got it to the dealer and removed the SCT.

The dealer told him that the EGR valve blew and took out some intake gaskets when it happened. He also said that this happened because of the SCT. Then said that it would happen again if the DPF was not put back in. Also The dealer said that the warranty would not cover this due to the modifications (so that is not really the issue as my father-in-law new that could be an issue) so the bill is $1100 for parts and labor.

So my questions are:

1. Has anyone had this issue tuned are not?
2. Is this a result of the tuner installed dpf removed?
3. The price seems high is it?
4. Is there an EGR delete for the 6.4l?
5. Who sells them/how much and how hard is it to put in and take out?
6. SCT told him that Ford has had a problem with the EGR valves and that there is a recall, is there one? If so what is the recall number so we can bring that to Ford.

Thanks

·
50 Posts
You Play you pay

I don't think the DPF delete did it but Ford is looking for any reason to deny warrenty.

Before taking the truck to the dealer always return it to stock conditions.

And the old saying "you play you pay" is very true.

Donovan

·
33 Posts
krdono2 is correct, "NEVER" return your truck to the dealer with any type of modifications still installed, with everything that is noted in my signature it only takes me about 2 hours to return to stock, take it for a ride make it regen (Pull the vacume hose off the DPF for a second then reinstall it), it will go into regen, I bet your dealer has flaged you in the computer so wherever you take it they will know. I have a dealer that is ok for what I have done but told me never bring it in with mods installed and everything will be ok, sorry for your bad luck, and $$ money out of your pocket, but this is for a heads up for everyone that doesn't know what to do prior to taking it back to the dealer.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I noted we where and are aware of the "pay to play" concept. That isn't what I was concerned about. The only money issue we are worried about is if there is a recall. Then we will pursue a different avenue. But for now we are just looking for a long term fix if this a true issue or a one time issue.

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found an EGR delete plate made by Cobbs Diesel Performance. Has anyone used this? How long does it take to put on?

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
There is a EGR valve TSB/Recall. Mine went out when the truck was stock. The SCT did not cause the failure. Ford switched to a EGR valve with a coolant by-pass so when it went it did not take the HG with it. I would stay calm and fight it. If they are worth their salt they will honor the warranty and fix the truck. The only problem is you cant go to another dealership. Chances are the truck is flagged in the system.

Reactions: jdydiesel
1 - 6 of 6 Posts