The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to a write-up or something on how to completely eliminate the EGR system? All my custom tunes for my SCT have the valve turned off, but I'm going to get started on adding more power, so I want to eliminate the entire system.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
:whs :feedback :HappyMugs

i would like to do this also!

·
777 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
just un-plug the egr with the key off. this coses the valve and it dosent re-open, it e z and reversable for any reason that it may have to pass some future emissions test that may come along. mine was un-pluged for 30,000 miles and needed warrenty work.the bealer re-pluged it totest some stuff and fixed my engine. i unpluged it again. the same thing on my jetta diesel.

·
777 Posts
the one gentleman said that he already has it turned off so that wont work nor does it solve the puking problem....or at least it didn't for me.

·
444 Posts
Just unplugging doesn't stop the flow. It is spring loaded, so when the exhaust pressure is higher than the intake pressure, you have EGR flow (doesn't matter if it's disabled or unplugged). The easiest thing to do is to replace your uppipe with an egr delete uppipe (try Elite Diesel).

·
3,306 Posts
Also, just cause you unplug it with the engine off, doesn't mean it's not gonna throw a CEL. I tried this method a couple of years ago before i got the SCT. With the truck turned off, i unplugged the EGR valve then turned the truck on and started driving it. After a few miles "DING", on comes the CEL. I got sick of looking at the CEL so i ended up plugging the EGR valve back in. The best way to eliminate it, is to stop the exhaust flow through it, by welding the up-pipe and capping off the EGR cooler.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
i have my up pipe plugged off and when i had to go to the dealer the other day i put my truck back to stock and it made a hissing air sound and if i unplugged the egr valve it stopped....or retuned it

·
BLING BLING
636 Posts
Guys, he is not talking about this. he wants to completely remove the EGR system. Liberty diesel makes a kit for this but it is way to expensive. They want like 5 or 600 for it. You have to pull your turbo, intake manifold and then the EGR itself. You need to weld a nipple on the intake manifold for a coolant line. Make the egr block off plate where the valve used to be. And then weld your up pipe. Thats it in a nut shell but basically the idea. Ryan

·
1,240 Posts
yea, it's not all that hard to do, if you have all the correct parts it will only take about 7 hours to do it.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
fred43 said:
just un-plug the egr with the key off. this coses the valve and it dosent re-open, it e z and reversable for any reason that it may have to pass some future emissions test that may come along. mine was un-pluged for 30,000 miles and needed warrenty work.the bealer re-pluged it totest some stuff and fixed my engine. i unpluged it again. the same thing on my jetta diesel.
this doesnt have anything to do with his original question.. he already stated his EGR is disabled w/tuning.. he is looking to remove the entire egr system, the cooler etc...
abrannan19 at GOGO diesel's forum has a thread showing the new intake manifold and uppipe kit he sells and you return yours as a core, it's not a bad looking job, i dont know his pricing, but here's a link :
http://www.**********.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14020
hope this helps, or at least gives you an idea how to do your own, if you plan on doing your own (the OP) just remember to not just cap off the coolant lines from the cooler, but actually bypass them and run them so that the coolant still flows where it used to flow, this is a necessary coolant flow unless you plan on removing the oil cooler also and mounting a remote one somewhere.
hope this helps.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
strokin6L said:
Also, just cause you unplug it with the engine off, doesn't mean it's not gonna throw a CEL. I tried this method a couple of years ago before i got the SCT. With the truck turned off, i unplugged the EGR valve then turned the truck on and started driving it. After a few miles "DING", on comes the CEL. I got sick of looking at the CEL so i ended up plugging the EGR valve back in. The best way to eliminate it, is to stop the exhaust flow through it, by welding the up-pipe and capping off the EGR cooler.
yeah simply unplugging the egr will throw a code on 05 and up year trucks, as well as the 03-04trucks IF THEY WERE CALI MODELS ONLY..

and also simply unplugging it doesnt guarantee it will be closed... first thing is you have to make sure that the egr valve is clean and will seat properly when closed , if it's gunked up it won't seat... second, once you've verified it is clean and seals properly, you need to make sure that the engine is COLD, it's best to do this in the morning after the truck has sat all night before starting it.. turn the key , let the computer realize that everything is cold and it will close the egr valve, then you can turn the key off and unplug the egr valve this will leave it in the closed position.. .

but like you stated, this is only half the problem, and the uppipe should be blocked also so no exhaust flow goes into the cooler at all... 05up year trucks are a tad more difficult, as they have a "scoop" for egr flow in the pipe which is a big restriction.. 03/04 up pipes can simply hammer the proper sized freeze plug into the hole in the up pipe and then hook everything back up and reinstal the vband clamp. this is of course assuming you're just disabling the egr system and not removing it all together, but this will work for performance reasons.. ideally you will want to weld your egr valve shut if you are going to still have it but not use it..

this prevents any boost from leaking into the cooler, and also prevents any hot exhaust gas from entering the cooler and possible heating the solder joints or flash boiling the coolant.
hope this helps.

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
KenVT said:
this may be dumb question....

But what are the benefits of welding this valve shut......?
well it's a simple spring loaded valve, so even in the closed position it is possible to be opened.
if you have an exhaust leak it is possible to push the valve open when exhaust pressure exceeds boost pressure...
if you have a leaky egr cooler it is possible for coolant to get past the valve and into the cylinders.
it is possible for excess boost to leak past the valve into the cooler

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
ive seen some pics from a couple guys who have done it and it doesnt look too difficult. the only thing im worried about is pulling the top part of my motor apart. guess there is only one way to learn. i have my uppipe welded closed but i think my EGR cooler might be cracked so i want to stop the coolant flow/loss.

Garrett

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
it's not that hard to get the manifold off...
i even cleaned/painted mine while i had it off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts