The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is a daily driver and I was wondering what temp it is safe to shut it down, normally I let it cool down to around 150*. Should I let it go until 100 or can I shut it off around 200*? :shrug:

·
6,337 Posts
POWER STROKE 99 said:
My truck is a daily driver and I was wondering what temp it is safe to shut it down, normally I let it cool down to around 150*. Should I let it go until 100 or can I shut it off around 200*? :shrug:

Do you really mean 150? or even 200? My truck would never cool down to that temp? Anything below 350 is fine. Try not to shut it off over 400 but if you do... 99.99% of the time it will not hurt a thing...:Thumbup:

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, that what I meant. I'm at work, so I try to get as much of TDG as possible and some times I'm in a hurry. I was under the impression that it needed to cool down to around 150, not sure where I got that number.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Unless you were just in a HARD pull, or have tons of EGT increasing mods, there is no reason to idle it down at all. Just shut her off.

·
6,337 Posts
John_G said:
Unless you were just in a HARD pull, or have tons of EGT increasing mods, there is no reason to idle it down at all. Just shut her off.

I agree, Most times when I get to a parking spot its at 400 or less and I just put it in park and turn it off

·
1,726 Posts
CSIPSD said:
I agree, Most times when I get to a parking spot its at 400 or less and I just put it in park and turn it off
Same here. I've looked at the gauge several times before shuting it down and its always below 400. Most of the time 300 or below once I get it in park.

·
862 Posts
When I pulled my stock turbo off at 84K miles, it was in perfect shape. All I did was shut it off when EGT's were 400 or less. A few times I shut it off at higher temps, but it never affected the turbo.

Oil nowadays isn't as likely to cause as much coking problems as days past. It's still possible, but just a little harder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts