The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally built my tranny,:woot: , so the first thing I did was get the HOT unlock for my edge. Wow, big difference! Only one problem, my EGTs reached 1650 and would have kept climbing but I let off. So my question is, How hot is HOT? I was hoping to work towards 90hp injectors before having to get a new turbo, but now I'm thinking I should re-think my plan. Any advice is much appreciated.

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
1650 degress is hot.. i would get a new turbo before injectors .. i dont know the highest egt seen on a 5.9 so far but 1800 degrees on a 6.slow means new motor time...

·
you bought what ?????????
181 Posts
1250 and i get out of it, but it doesnt happen very much with air and exhaust on my sig......

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Aluminum (pistons) melts at 1200-1250* which is also what cummins specifies as its maximum maintainable temperature. Short bursts up to 1600* is ok but if you stay there for long the pistons will swell and score the block :damnit

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, ok then. What should I be looking for in a turbo. Can I spool a Silver bullet? Should I get a 62/71/14 that I can later use in a compound set up? Am I gona need studs/ o-ring head? or a little of this :nitrous: :pointlaugh

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
depends on how many horses you wanna put out... compounds is personally to me for people over 500...

sliver bullet 62 is a pretty good turbo for what it cost

studs is a must.. there are some guys not using them but to play it safe do it

and nitrous.. thats all up to you buddy LOL LOL

but if i were you i would do water/meth injection to cool down egt's and you'll see power improvement to

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
See that's the real bummer, I have a chance to get some time on a dyno in a few weeks, but now I'm worried about turning my pistons into molten slugs. I am trying to build my truck to eventually be in the 600hp range, maybe more.:muha

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
The silver bullet is a 66/74/14 the silver 62 is not a bullet. A silver bullet will support 900+ with a little spray.

A silver 62 would be good. a little big for a 600hp set of twins though, but that just means it will spool slow

a 62/71 is a minimum

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
this is what u do to help lower egt's... if you dont belive me u can go on bullydog's website i belive and check it out.... bigger the exhaust pipe.. lower egt's.. so now lets change your whole set up for 600..

im just giving you some options for lower egt's:
Water/meth is the best one
5'' pipe all the way back and 6' tips if you want
bigger twin turbo it for a fact
Cowl hood if you want ( my opioion it lowers egt's a little not alot)
injector's that aren't to big for the turbo's

ill think of more but right now im totally not in this world so when i think of more ill post

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
water (no meth) is usually only good for a 200-300* drop, same with NO2

A bigger exhaust won't help much with the 57mm turbine

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking it would be better to run a 62/14 of some sort. Then build a set of twins when I need it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dual K20s said:
water (no meth) is usually only good for a 200-300* drop, same with NO2

A bigger exhaust won't help much with the 57mm turbine
Shouldn't you have your head O-ringed to run Water/ or NO2? Also, do you think I'm going to need 5" exhaust?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
62 what? i think a 71 turbine would work good. a 74mm would be awesome, but not for the price :damnit

A water cooled garrett would be nice

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
cbtoyz said:
Shouldn't you have your head O-ringed to run Water/ or NO2? Also, do you think I'm going to need 5" exhaust?

yeah, I would they raise the cylinder pressures which is ultimately what kills the HG

If you keep the pressures low you can get by without using studs.

I think 4" is enough. Over 600hp there might be a noticeable gain, but I don't think it would be over 20hp

Thats just my :2cents What does everyone else think?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
About the turbine size, to be honest, I really don't know much about turbos. The bigger the turbine, the faster it'll spool, the bigger the compressor the slower it'll spool, and the bigger the turbine housing the slower it'll spool, but cooler the egts will bee. Right?

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K, so having a turbine larger that the compressor means more lag, but what about drive pressure. Does it keep that down? :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
anything bigger means more lagg whether its the intake or compressor side

And yeah the larger turbine wheels and exhaust housings help keep drive pressures down. I hear 1:1 drivepressure:boost ratio is optimum, above 1.2:1 you start to loose performance and gain EGTs I think

·
567 Posts
depending on yur application, CRs handle boost alot better than the older motors...I have seen numerous CRs with 12mm studs and stock headgasket hold 80 psi....so its prob up to you on the o rings...but i'd say if you plan on going big with mods get the bigger turbo...if you plan on towing and stuff i'd say go with a smaller one or get twins...

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
TTT Any body have any ideas? Or turbo recommendations for cbtoyz?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts