The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I recently bought an '86 Ford F250 with a 6.9L turbo diesel... I'm running through maintanence, oils, fluids, minor repairs etc... As such, I have been looking into what is available/recomended for coolant...

I've read that CAT's ELC is the cats meow (no pun intended) as far as coolants go... However, I read a statement attributed to an International Compatability tests, which states that ELC should not be used with pre-1999 Power Stroke diesels.

Due to International's compatibility tests, all pre-2/2/99 build engines (pre-SN 940614) should use a conventional coolant with the addition of SCA (or a pre-charged conventional coolant already charged with SCA).
Does anyone know why this is? Or weather or not it is the case? I tend to loose track of things over periods of time, so the regular maintenence of the normal coolant could prove somewhat problematic for me. That being said, I'll stick with the regular coolant if I have to, but the ELC certainly sounds more like something I'd like to put in if it's possible.

I'm just hoping to get the best protection from cavitation... I'd really prefer not to dissolve my motor from the inside out :p

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Seals mostly, DO NOT use ELC of any formulation in engines built before the date indicated above.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response! Further research tends to agree... I finally got some test strips at a local International dealership, and am putting in FleetCharge tomorrow, as I had to order it in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts