The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking you guys because I can't seem to find a straight answer and there seem to be two possible ways? I'll try to word this as best I can.

I know the magnets have two wires that stick out the back side. You run the power wire back to one side split it so that power goes to each magnet, with the other magnet wire do you ground it or wire it to the other magnet?

Thanks for the help.

·
391 Posts
The othe wire is the ground. Either attach it to the frame or, preferably, to the dedicated ground wire you have running to all your lights and brakes.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I thought. So it doesnt matter which of the two get power as long as the other magnet wire is grounded.

·
1,224 Posts
As long as each magnet from each wheel is grounded you are ok, like bpogue said. Preferably the ground wires should be to the dedicated ground wire from tow vehicle or to the frame. If you ground to the axle or backing plate there is a chance it wouldn't be a good ground since some supensions have rubber between spring bushings and spring eye. This would not be good for ground as your are counting on ground continuty through spring shackles which move with suspension and may not be a good consistant ground.

Hope that makes sense:confused:

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, Dodgefarmer and bpogue. That helps alot and makes sense. I just have to go back to my trailer and get the wires all straight :) Thanks for clarifying.

·
1,836 Posts
If you have brakes chances are good that you need a break away switch and battery to apply the brakes if the trailer disconnects. The wires that come from the brakes go to the ground on the front by the battery and the switch - The blue wire from the brake controller connects there and the other side of the switch goes to the battery.

A lawn & garden battery in a box makes a good battery and usually stays charged with a charge line from the tow vehicle.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trailer I have in question has no break away set up for the brakes, just all the running and tail lights and one axle with brakes.

·
1,836 Posts
The weight that a breakaway switch and battery is required varies by state but starts at 1500#, if it is a tandem it needs a switch and battery if for nothing else than keeping you safe from the revenue rangers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts