The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a thought... any one here ever tried a dual electric fan setup on a 466?
I had them on my old supercharged Lightning with no ill effects.
Just wondered. I am sure the clutch fan is a horsepower eating monster! But I wonder if any kits out there could pull enough air to keep things cool.

jason

·
26 tires rolling
929 Posts
NOT EVEN CLOSE. theres a reason the fan is a horse power eating monster. It moves an insane volume of air through the radiator. no combination of 12V dc fans could even come close to 1/2 the air volume.

·
590 Posts
i have considered doing this on at least one of my 466 powered trucks. my 95 model runs hotter then my earlier model trucks, so i will stay stock on this one. my 90 models and back, run cold as ice. i dont think useing a electric fan on these units will be an issue. the gmc/cummins conversion that i'am in the process of doing now, will have an electric fan setup, when completed. based on the unit i'am takeing the cummins out of now [ ford bus/ that i took the fan off and drove a while] i believe when i'am through with the gmc conversion, i will have similar temp results, as i did in the bus with no fan. btw, coolant capacity on the bus radiator, is very similar to the radiator in the 3500 gmc..

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I'd like to have a fan that runs like the "Cyclone Fan" they used to make for the 7.3L Superduty. That was a really cool concept. It didn't run at all when the engine was cool allowing for less parasitic loss and faster warm-ups. It kicked on only when needed and there was a small control panel in the cab that allowed you to run it in "super cool" mode when you wanted the fan locked up to the motor.

When unlocked, dyno tests show up to a 40HP increase. Seems like even if it was 1/2 that claim, you'd get more power, performance and better feul mileage.

Here's the Cyclone fan: http://www.dtstulsa.com/other/cyclone/index.asp

Someone here said Horton made such a fan for diesel engines.

·
I do all my own stunts
457 Posts
My 81 Kenworth has a Horton fan clutch. It is air operated but there is no reason that an electric version shouldn't be possible. Might be worth searching to see what they offer. A straight electric motor driven fan would have to be pretty large to meet the potential cooling requirements.

·
Registered
38 Posts
electric fans are a waste of money in my experience

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
That's great. I might just have to look into one. I bet i'd get 15-20 HP off that when it's off. You got one on your truck?

·
249 Posts
No, but I'm not going to put one the the stock ones back on when mine goes out, it really comes on pretty late and the truck will get too hot when pulling a hill. I think one of those might be the answer..... somewhere on that site you can pull up different applications but I can't find it right now.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I was saving my pennies for an exhaust brake, but now my decision is more complex. My truck stops loads real well......maybe I go for a few more HP instead.

I'd like to get some more info on them. :popcorn:

·
590 Posts
Duke said:
I'd like to have a fan that runs like the "Cyclone Fan" they used to make for the 7.3L Superduty. That was a really cool concept. It didn't run at all when the engine was cool allowing for less parasitic loss and faster warm-ups. It kicked on only when needed and there was a small control panel in the cab that allowed you to run it in "super cool" mode when you wanted the fan locked up to the motor.

When unlocked, dyno tests show up to a 40HP increase. Seems like even if it was 1/2 that claim, you'd get more power, performance and better feul mileage.

Here's the Cyclone fan: http://www.dtstulsa.com/other/cyclone/index.asp

Someone here said Horton made such a fan for diesel engines.
i have a cyclone on my 02 model 7.3, really like it. even in texas heat, i seldom have it come on. i bought a 5.9 powered bus once that had a horton electric fan clutch, same type setup as the cyclone.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
navistar45 said:
i have a cyclone on my 02 model 7.3, really like it. even in texas heat, i seldom have it come on. i bought a 5.9 powered bus once that had a horton electric fan clutch, same type setup as the cyclone.
Does the Horton fan come with the control panel, just like the 7.3L cyclone fan?

Was the horton fan standard equipment on the 5.9L or was it added by you later?

·
590 Posts
the horton setup has the same style setup as for the clutch itself [electric]. but does not have a control panel, like the cyclone. the 5.9 in the bus, came from the factory with the horton. this particular bus was a bluebird flatnose model, which are generally highend buses$$$. i have only seen the hortons used on some 5.9 equipped ,bluebird buses. i have been around and purchased far more ford buses with 5.9 engines, and every last one come with a viscious style clutch. as stated i really like the cylone setup, and it's ability to have total operator control, or auto control. i was very impressed with the trucks ability to run so cool, with out the use of a fan. even hard loaded on hot days, the fan seldom engages. the cylone can actually function somewhat as an engine brake when coastin to a stop as well! allthough i dont use this pratice much, try to keep wear and tear on the clutch to a minimum. i understand u.s gear no longer produces the unit.. their lack of support with this item, is the sole reason for me chooseing a gearvendor od unit, when i finish my gmc/5.9 conversion.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Yes, I heard there was an annoying "chirp" sound when it engages that they could never fix.

·
590 Posts
i have never had the chirp issue, but the little black box [ master controller] did act up on me. the unit would stay on constantly. u.s gear sent me another, then informed me parts were drying up, as they no longer produced the item. i hate that, because i really enjoy the product!

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Amazing that noone would pick up the product and try to market it again.....maybe make then for other types of trucks.

·
590 Posts
i think part of what prevents such a thing happening [ for other models] is starting with the 6.0 fords, and commonrail dodges, they have a fan system that operates on a similar fashion. not as versatile as the cyclone system, but similar none the less. do the duramax's have this setup also? memory serves me correct, the cyclone wasnt optional on pre 99 model 7.3 engines. you know how it is, get a good thing going, and it get's fouled up!

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
navistar45 said:
i think part of what prevents such a thing happening [ for other models] is starting with the 6.0 fords, and commonrail dodges, they have a fan system that operates on a similar fashion. not as versatile as the cyclone system, but similar none the less. do the duramax's have this setup also? memory serves me correct, the cyclone wasnt optional on pre 99 model 7.3 engines. you know how it is, get a good thing going, and it get's fouled up!
The thing is, look at how many guys want 20,30,50 more HP from a DT466. This is a perfect way to offer 20 more HP without any fuel mods and get other benefits from it.

As tough as the DT466 is to wring more HP from, seems like a nice option.

·
590 Posts
agreed. but i have never even looked to see if anyone had something available for them. geez, if horton makes one for the 5.9, i would think they would have one for a 466. last i looked, both the 7.3 and 466 were more pop in trucks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts