The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant put my finger on this one... ...

I come home from work at 3:30... leave to go to class at 6.. It got cold out so I was going to put my windows up..

drivers side went up.. passengers side stayed down and wouldnt budge.. I started the truck up the window went up.. But the Tach and alternator guages werent working?! :damnit But everything else worked (wait to start, gas guage, oil pressure, water in fuel) So I turn the truck off... start it back up and everything works fine..?!?!?! Then just last night I went to turn my head lights on.. they came on and so did my tach lights but then they started flashing.?!

DAMN DODGE.!!

PCM issue?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Start cleaning connections. PCM, all the ground wires you can find, could even go as far as the battery. Then see how stuff goes.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now everyonce and a while the dome lights will flicker on and off.. The performace of the truck isnt touched.... its just annoying..

·
Diesel Mafia #67
11,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mopar1973Man said:
Seem like the connector on the back of the gauge cluster is the problem for most of it... I would try ther cluster test and see if there is any problems with it...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/cluster test/cluster_test.htm

And also check for known errors...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/error codes/error_codes.htm

When it acts up.. The Alt is only putting out less then 14 volts.. its arround 10-12 volts.. the tach doesnt work.. then you trun the truck off then turn it back on and its works perfectly fine?

Ill pull the cluster out this weekend//

G

·
Mopar1973Man said:
Seem like the connector on the back of the gauge cluster is the problem for most of it... I would try ther cluster test and see if there is any problems with it...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/cluster test/cluster_test.htm

And also check for known errors...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002 Dodge/Tips & Tricks/error codes/error_codes.htm
Good ideas and write-up's, but neither will work on his truck. He has a 95' and the electronic mileage cluster did not come out until 98'. Also OBD II did not come out until I believe 96'.

Jordan, pull your PCM connector off and clean it up real good and then put it back on. All the saltwater air could have got in there and caused some corrosion. If that does not help you might check your crank sensor connection or the sensor it's self. You can also turn the key on and off and the thrid time on leave it and you can count the check engine light flashes. It will be a dual code, such as 5 flashes then a short pause followed by X number additional flashes. If it flashes 5-5 that means there is no codes and all is clear.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Bouncer said:
Good ideas and write-up's, but neither will work on his truck. He has a 95' and the electronic mileage cluster did not come out until 98'. Also OBD II did not come out until I believe 96'.
D'Oh! :damnit

I forgot about that...LOL

Yes... OBD II came out in 96 but the key trick works only on the 2000 and after. As for the cluster check I think its the same way 2000 and after too...

Sorry... :bang

G

·
Mopar1973Man said:
but the key trick works only on the 2000 and after.
No sir, it don't. Atleast not the key trick I described. I have used it on a truck as far back as my 92' 1st gen.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
1,465 Posts
The main electrical connector in the PDC under the hood can corrode up as well....since the tach is acting up I'm with Bouncer on it being the CPS....if it isn't working it's not sending a signal to the PCM saying it's running. I was having charging problems this week as well.....the volt meter was reading under 12 volts....one of the things to check was the CPS....mine ended up being worn brushes in the ALT....I had no other symptoms other than the no charge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts