The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my way to happiest place on earth and engine shut off south of Atlanta. Got towed and sitting in a campground.

Sync 1
IPR maxes out
ICP 216 is all it goes too
FICM has 48 volts
Fuel pressure 65
It shut off like you turned the key off. Ran excellent right up to that point. My icp values were right on the money. Otherwise I have a HPO leak somewhere. Oil level is on the Mark and I use mc filters. I am trying to get to the icp and disconnect but it's a PITA. Limited tools.

it was replaced by the first owner and has a nice heat shield around it. No oil that I can see.

I bought a new one at oreilly ( luckily my pedal bike wasn't made by ford or international).

Need thoughts or words of encouragement. I hate this truck right now and consider setting it on fire.

On a good note my day was better than the tow driver nice guy very helpful but apparently had some warrants and they arrested him and took away in cuffs in front of my kids at the local campground. Fun stuff.

Pm me if you live near Byron, GA I'd pay well for help tomorrow. Ford dealer around the corner I'll have it towed Monday morning there if I can't get it running.

Happy Easter

·
1,213 Posts
Sure sorry to hear of the troubles! Hope you can get the ICP disconnected just to see if that is it! Is the HPOP still the original?

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
721 Posts
If you can disconnect your ICP then try to start it. Sounds like you have an 03 or early 04 with the ICP under the turbo like mine. Until the PCM sees over 500 on the ICP it will not fire the injectors. By unplugging your ICP you put it into a default mode and it should fire.

·
3,051 Posts
When cranking the starter for an extended time, does the engine oil pressure gauge in the cab have movement? (I hope so)

ICP / IPR / HPOP / it's likely one of the three.

ICP can be accessed from underneath by reaching up and undoing the heat shield first, then the sensor is right there.

If the sensor needs removal, then need to cut down a 1-1/16 wrench to about 5in long and use the closed end on the sensor.

Good to see you can still have a sense of humor through all this, shows your good character.

I'm sorry too Weld, try to make the best of this as you can, and remember, any of us if we were close enough to help would be there in a flash.

Keep us posted.

Harry

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
ICP is most likely culprit. IPR is a possibility, and then HPOP itself. Had it been a late '04-07, if have guessed the STC fitting blew apart. But you don't have that. It sucks to have something happen so far from home on vacation. Hopefully you can spire the ICP sender tomorrow and get it swapped out. Good luck, and don't threaten to burn it down yet.

Sent by my right thumb!

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HPOP is original and from everything I've read my 03 motor should be ok as far as that goes all of my values for ipr and icp looked normal not pointing to any leaks unless it just busted open or the pump died.

I will double check the oil pressure gauge comes up while cranking - let's hope it does.

Having a hard time getting to icp it from below back at it again this morning.

Thanks for the help.

·
1,213 Posts
There is a ball bearing pressed into an opening on the HPOP that sometimes falls out on the early pumps. This failure can result in an instantaneous change from acceptable pressures to very low pressures. Hope it is the sensor though. Sometimes this type of failure can also result in no dash oil pressure. If you have a good LPOP oil pressure on the dash, then great. If not, you can also pull the oil filter out and verify the oil flow into the oil filter housing.

If it is the HPOP, then I would get a late 04 HPOP (it will fit fine) or go aftermarket with an adrenaline pump.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I got icp unplugged and it fired up. $1000000 question can I drive it to 300 miles towing if I go easy. I don't have the tools to get it out and would spend 4 hours doing so. If I get to Orlando I can drop off at a dealer and have it fixed we don't need to drive around this week.

Thanks JSM! I wish it wasn't Sunday everthing is closed.

I also found little mouse nest under turbo! There is some irony there folks. He may have chewed something and I could put a new sensor in and 4 hours later still have same problem.

I really appreciate the help!!

Wes

Reactions: harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
I have heard of others driving around with the icp unplugged for months, do a short test run around the area towing your trailer at operating temp and see if things feel right and temps look ok.

Then stop in driveway of nearby Ford dealer you were talking about and see if truck will restart ok after shutting off.

If all seems ok, I would say yes, restart your trip and keep a close eye on gauges as all of us 6.0L owners are trained to do.

The Ford/Motorcraft icp is the best quality one for replacement, supposed to be a more robust updated design. My current one has lasted along time now.

Glad it's not the hpop, when they fail it can either do like Bismic mentioned or the swash plate spins out of place inside the hpop housing resulting in no pressure build up.

Good luck Weld, and so glad for you that the truck fired up!

Harry

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We made it but for no reason at all it stalled at random about 4 times. I crawled under and moved the connector around with a stick and it ran again 3 hours. One time. Basically caused a lot of stress and anxiety.

JSM I'll pm you need advice on Orlando ford dealer I'm going to call tomorrow and get it in Tuesday. I'd guess we have a bad ICP and maybe a chaffed wire or bad connector.

I've had my fill of stress appreciate the advice and help as always. It does decent unplugged just now idea why it cut out. One time it did fire again just keeping my foot on the accelerator.

Hopefully they can throw in a new ICP and check out the wire harness and plug.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
82 Posts
You are living my nightmare! I always think of something like this happening in the back of my head. Usually when I'm away from home pulling pin heavy. Hope they get you dialed in and top off your peace of mind.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta say my wife isn't happy she wants it gone.

·
3,051 Posts
:clapGlad you made it Weld! You must be somewhat relieved.

A new harness pigtail connector and ICP sensor will hopefully do the trick, unless mr mouse was busy chewing elsewhere, but since you were able to start with ICP unplugged and wiggle the harness to get it going again when it stalled, seems the pigtail should do it.

Harry

·
1,213 Posts
The mouse damage is the concern - wouldn't be good for any make/model/etc. Not fair to blame a 6.0! Anyway, as Harry said, look over the wiring real well. I would inspect the FICM harnesses (to injectors) along w/ the ICP, IPR, and even the turbo VGT wiring. I would almost be thinking that the ICP sensor might be good.

·
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it looked oily but very hard to tell laying in the dirt of a campground with my mish mash of tools. Im putting whatever new in is needed it needs to take us home without issue.

·
55 Posts
Weld,
I sent you a PM with the contact info for Myron at Mobile Oval, 407-405-2391 the address I gave may not be correct. His name has come up several times on different forums and all were positive. He is Ford trained diesel tech.

Jack

·
3,051 Posts
You were right on the money about unplugging the ICP sensor Len.

Harry

1 - 20 of 41 Posts