The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i finished installing a hypermax turbo kit on my 86 f250. I started the truck and it idled just fine about a min into the run the exhaust started poping really loud and spitting out white smoke. the poping sound got quite for a bit then loud and the engine was shaking wildly so i quickely shut the truck off.
Any Ideas? the truck has only 96,000 orig miles.:RTFM:

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
I know you don't want this asked, but are you sure nothing fell into the intake or went through the turbo into the engine. If the engine was running OK before you installed the turbo everything should be alright. Popping is a sign of a valve not seating and white smoke would be unburnt fuel also could be caused by a valve. I'd pull the valve covers and make sure all the rockers are tight, a loose one would signify a valve hanging open or bent. Make sure you turn the engine over (by hand) to get the rockers up when you check them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im pretty sure nothing fell in the in to the intake it has that wire mesh over it. and i just pulled the turbo off and its safe. im not sure how to describe the sound but almost like back firing quiet at times and loud. i did increase the fuel flow on the side of the pump anout 2 1/2 flats clock wise but it was running fine. yesterday before i adjusted it

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
2 and 1/2 flats thats like 1/3 turn or better. You need to back that off to it's original setting and try it then. If it runs OK you can readjust it but only in 1/8 turn increments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its like 180 degress clock wise ill check into both. if i had a bad injector overfueling a cylinder would i get the same effect?

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
I'm more concerned with it blowing the tip off an injector. I've never turned one that far and am not sure what kind of pressure you put on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the only reason i ask about the overfueling is because the diff in the sound it make as in the poping very quiet and hard to notice then loud and really noticable. It sure runied the rest ofmy day good thing i have two of these trucks but the other one has 205,000 miles burns and leaks oil like crazy probably not a good turbo candidate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i have pulled the valve covers off this morning no lose rockers. and all the valves seem to move with a little pressure applied to them by hand

1 - 8 of 8 Posts