The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellows,

In my business usualy I tow to/from job site 2 equipment: Small tractor and stump grinder.
Kubota B7800 - 3,500 lb
Vermeer SC60TX - 4,500 lb
See pictures:
I use to have 18 foot Hudson trailer. It was 8,500 lb payload and I have only 8,000 lb, BUT It was too short.
See pic #3 LOL Kinda crowded don't ya think so?,
Every trailer more then 18 feet was like 20,000# GVW. They were heavy, overbuild, expensive etc.

So I needed to build my own. Enclosed trailer will provide my toys shelter from elements as well storage for misc items such as belts, ropes, dolly, rakes, shovels, small engine equipment and much-much more.

The plan was with budget:
1. Buy 24-30 foot dry van box ($1,000)
2. build supporting frame (1,000)
3. snap 2 axles (2,000)
4. Ramps ($600)
5. Lights ($300)

... to be continued ...

Attachments

·
5,365 Posts
nice set up !

hey how much are those stump grinders ? im thinking it would be a nice
side biz

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nice set up !

hey how much are those stump grinders ? im thinking it would be a nice
side biz
New 3 years ago $42,000. Now 45. with wireless remote close to 50K.
BUT now used on http://www.treetrader.com you can find used with 1,000 hours about $20,000.
This one is self propelled. Chassis can be squeezed down to 36" wide to go through gates. I got tons of business even from my competitors because their grinders tow-behind (1/2 price) can't get to tight space.

I did research, market evaluation for 2 years before I committed to 40K+
Vermeer SC60TX is THE way to go. SC50TX not bad also. Same grinder with out turbo engine. 60Hp vs. 50Hp.

Good luck with business.

·
5,365 Posts
nice set up !
and ive already got a 7k trailer to haul it :D

i GOTTA do something to get outta this rat race

<sorry for the hi-jack>

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have some $$ now is THE time to get few toys to open new service line. If you really want to discuss all cons and pros open new topic I'll be gladly to share with you all my experience. It IS full topic conversation. I can say with SUB-topics:
  • how to find clients
  • equipment choice
  • financial site
  • maintenance
  • etc.

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  • how to find clients
    • home owner customer
    • property management customer
    • commercial property customer
    • competition-customer
    • tree service customer
    • landscaping company customer
    • other company customer
  • equipment choice
    • new vs. used
    • brand
    • tow behind vs. self propelled
    • remote control or not
    • Hp
    • Size
    • future cost of maintenance
  • marketing
    • word of mouth
    • internet
    • phone book
    • fliers and other print outs
    • shows
  • financial site
    • money in from customers
    • money out
      • equipment payments cash buy vs. lease vs. %loan
      • maintenance
      • advertisement
      • operation cost
      • beer
  • maintenance
    • short term
      • oil
      • filters
      • greese
      • teef
      • pockets
    • long term
      • engine
      • clutch
      • gears
      • trucks
  • etc.

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let stick to trailer
:goodvsevil

·
50 Posts
Keep us posted on this. I am interested in an enclosed trailer able to haul a skid steer. I haven't had much luck finding any other than one custom built which would take a winning lottery ticket to afford. It would have to be built awful heavy duty and have either barn doors with seperate ramps or preferably a really heavy ramp door. Ideally I would like to be able to have a side door where a couple attachments could be loaded. Someday maybe I'll get a wild hair and build my own.

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The benefit of having Morgan dry van body is:
  • Easy to get parts
  • Ability to go from slide up-down doors to "bard" doors
  • 6" cross members offset
  • Relatively light

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got Morgan 24 foot body,
My fabricator ordered material $600
Frame was welded out of 2.25" x 8" "C" channel
Tong was made out of square pipe 8"x8". I don't like "A" type. Straight will give me more turning angel.
7 foot ramps was custom made as well. on the middle little angel line to be able to slide some log to support if I am loading 14K lb machine.
Socket for wires were installed. So the wire has 2 male connectors. Easy to replace if needed.
Cut holes and installed 4 turn/stop/tail lights

This week working on interior design.
  • Install anchors
  • Lights
  • Shelfs
  • Hooks
  • rear stabilizer jacks to support load/unload with out to be connected to a truck. As well theft prevention.

Attachments

·
85 Posts
Saw an enclosed Contractors trailer for sale today...8.5' X 20',12,000lb GVW for $6500. It was made by American Hauler...but the dry van looks like a great alternative

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saw an enclosed Contractors trailer for sale today...8.5' X 20',12,000lb GVW for $6500. It was made by American Hauler...but the dry van looks like a great alternative
I'll take it as a compliment. Thanks Tav.
It came out the frame structurally it is GVW 24,000 lb. But two 9,000 lb axles yield overall GVW of 18,000 lb. Empty weight about 3,000+ lb living me strong 15,000 lb of payload.
My ASV-100 with forestry Fecon head weight about 14K. Right now I don't have rear stabilizer jacks (coming soon), so only one concern is - to load/unload with trailer to be connected to truck.

·
85 Posts
you could always triangulate the ramps instead of adding rear jacks...thats how the bobcat trailer we use is set up

·
Senior diesel friend
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you could always triangulate the ramps instead of adding rear jacks...thats how the bobcat trailer we use is set up
Tav,
we are in NH, were every think not leveled. triangulating ramp only will work on flat surface. My previous trailer had this "legs" on ramps and they were always too short or too long:bang

Also, if I drop trailer on job site and lift with rear jacks no one want to still it, because handles are inside behind locked door.

·
5,365 Posts
Tav,
we are in NH, were every think not leveled. triangulating ramp only will work on flat surface. My previous trailer had this "legs" on ramps and they were always too short or too long:bang

Also, if I drop trailer on job site and lift with rear jacks no one want to still it, because handles are inside behind locked door.
that explains why they work so well for me in texas :damnit LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts