The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pursuit Interceptor
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for an enclosed trailer in the 16-20'+ range in as wide as I can get configuration and as usual EVERYONE has the best quality. Please give some suggestions on how to sort through all the marketing hype.

·
1,606 Posts
If you can afford it, Featherlite makes just about the finest trailer ever made. Most of them are all Aluminum and the better ones have smooth sides. Also, a little lower priced, but still VERY nice are Haulmark Edge and Ultimate Edge. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
it really depends on what u want to use it for!

·
108 Posts
I have two, a 7x16 Doolittle and a 8.5x16 haulmark. Out of those I love my Doolittle. It is light years ahead in quality than the haulmark. It's built heavier and stronger and has no problem being over loaded a tad and running down the freeway. My haulmark on the other hand is a pile. It's built cheap and it shows. Doesn't pull as nice and at full capacity loaded correctly you can only hit 65 tops. Before it starts to dance and dart around. If I didn't need a second trailer I'd sell it in a heart beat.

I don't know where or if they still make Doolittle trailers. But I'd buy one again in a heart beat.

Doolittle:

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
I never take anyones word for anything,..and I could care less about brands....I want functionality.

Depending on what you are doing with it, you need to look for certain features.

Most trailers only have 3,500lb axles,...try and find a company that has 5,200lbs axles...ya never now when you'll need it.

Also look at the decking(floor)....is it made out of 5/8" B/C plywood,...or is it made of 3/4" marine grade(pressure treated) plywood?

What are the walls trimmed with?...1/4" luan?...or 5/8" plywood?

What spacing is on the frame?...16" OC...or 24" OC?

Is it made of a boxed frame?...or regular "C Channel"?

I've seen a bunch of the "BIG" name companies already mentioned in this thread,....and after close inspection of the quality,...some of them are actually junk,....they look nice,...but they are made of inferior supplies.

I have a 18' Elite trailer,..

(2) 5,200lb axles...I almost got the 7,000lb axles.
5/8" plywood on the walls
16" OC boxed frame
3/4" marine grade plywood deck
E-track on all walls, and floor,...and I can make a second level
spring assisted rear door
moon roof
lights inside
etc, etc, etc,etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts