The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any degreaser's to stay away from and what is the best to use.Also are there any precautions to take with elec.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
JL...:haha

You should follow me... I wash my engine every weekend... I grab a fire hose (1 1/2") through on a fire nozzle and have at the ol' girl. No holds barred... I hose down the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive line, the undercarriage... I dont cover anything...

As for degreaser the best I've ever used is right in your local grocery store... It's Easy Off over cleaner... Just don't spray it on bare aluminum it will darken it. As for lose paint it will remove it for sure...

But in 15 minutes your engine is spotless just like your household oven! :haha

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Simple green does pretty good IMO but we 6L owners cant see our blocks so its not a big deal. LOL

·
Indecisive
428 Posts
lol +1 to that!

I use a product called oil eater you can get it at costco i know for sure, but I believe it is sold at auto zone to.

Safe on all surfaces and paints and does a great job degreasing the motor.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
lol +1 to that!

I use a product called oil eater you can get it at costco i know for sure, but I believe it is sold at auto zone to.

Safe on all surfaces and paints and does a great job degreasing the motor.
That stuff works good... Another one though that will actually pit aluminum if left on for a long time...

·
803 Posts
I've used Simple Green and Adams All Purpose Cleaner. Both work very well. :thumbsup

Once they got the tough stuff off, either will work for weekly, monthly maintenance too...

·
3,514 Posts
Anyone know of a cleaner or degreaser that is not a petroleum distillate? That stuff is nasty, and at least around here they will fine you 25k for using at a car wash if you get caught, and I don't like to use it at the house, because I'm on a well and don't want it getting in the ground water. I only use it in the shop were I can get it soaked up, but i'm not turning on a hose in there. Any help would be awesome.
Sean

·
11 Posts
I'm with Mopar1973Man and the oven cleaner. Any brand will do, I like what they carry at Big Lots because it cheap. If I'm rebuilding an engine, I use oven cleaner and the pressure washer to clean everything inside and out. This will take all the oil out of the block so be prepared to coat interior sufaces or you will see it rust pretty quick. I've used it on aluminum manifolds, but I don't let it sit very long, only a couple of minutes. It also works better if it warm outside or the parts are warm. Make sure you wear eye protection. Personally I use glasses and a face shield.

·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
10-4 on the face sheild:haha

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Yeah on a warm engine work really good... But not to warm about 120-140*F worth of coolant temp is perfect to get the grime and gunk off a engine...

Once you done that garden hose and a good nozzle can keep it clean the rest of the year...

·
What are sparkplugs
147 Posts
brake cleaner also works, spray surface lightly scrub with soft brush spray again then wipe dry works great. only downside it can eat paint!

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
brake cleaner also works, spray surface lightly scrub with soft brush spray again then wipe dry works great. only downside it can eat paint!
Chemical smell, flameablity, and cost... A few you forgot...:haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts