The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a question for the guys that live in cold weather.

i've never used my block heater before since i live in Louisiana & Florida but im going to NY next week.

At what temps do i plug the truck in?
Is it every day or just the days im going to use it?

if only on days i use it.. How many hours before?

·
1,324 Posts
What oil are you using? This will affect things.

Buy a $12 timer and set it for minimum 2hours before you plan to fire it up. Weeks when snow is forecasted I leave it plugged into the timer and it turns on at 3AM to 6AM and 4PM to 6PM.

I use 5w40 and it would start down to 0 but it's hard on things in my opinion.

If your going to Western NY you will get introduced to a little thing called lake effect snow. It's been very cold this winter.

Don't forget to get some antigel and start using it before you come up!

Safe travels.

Edit - confirm you have a plug they didn't always include the cord but the block would have a heater. If you have never used it I wouldn't assume it's there if it's a southern truck.

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im going to Long Island-NYC area.

I will be towing my camper (slow) because ive only driven in snow a handfull of time's and never while towing. So this trip will be a first.:)

I just took my truck to a Ford dealer by the house for a oil change and checkup before the trip.

I told them where i was going but im not sure what grade oil they used.

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
1,212 Posts
Dealerships usually put in 15W40. I wouldn't want to run that in the winter.

It really is advisable to know exactly what fluids and filters are used - I wouldn't assume that the right choice was made just because it was a dealership.

·
1,324 Posts
:whs

It looks like it will be in the 40's there next week. I'd say you would be ok with 15w40 but plug in. Put 1-2 bags of kids play sand in the bed, a shovel, extra washer fluid (I'd bet $50 you have diluted fluid today that will freeze). Keep extra space between you and vehicle in front snow is one thing black ice is a whole other problem.

It's been -20 at night lately here. I'd break a sweat with 40 deg heat. :roflol:

Reactions: bismic

·
3,051 Posts
All good advice guy's. Heres a recap...

Yes, 5w40 is the way to go in the cold or anytime really. If they put a 10w30 oil in you should be ok too.

Yes, get some antigel and "double dose it" if it's untreated no.2 fuel, start treating now.

Yes, get some -20F washer fluid cycled through before you get to freezing areas.

You can use 4wd high range while driving and towing in slick conditions, don't be afraid to use 4wd. (I'm assuming your truck is a 4wd model)

Drive careful and have a nice trip.

Harry

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey Harry,

yes its a 4x4

ive been using power service anti-gel for the last few mths but maybe not a full dose

I have been using Rain-X orange washer fluid (think its rated down to 0deg) but just topped off with some -32deg washer fluid w/De-icer

going to check what oil they used when i get home tomorrow, i think they used 10w30

·
3,051 Posts
Sounds like your pretty well set already.

Just watch the weather forecast for the route or region your headed for.

I have found that PS winter formula or Stanadyne or Howes or any of the popular anti gel's work ok for untreated no.2 diesel fuel at max or double doses and are good between 5-25F depending on the fuel. The fuel must be treated before freezing temps are encountered or the antigel will not be effective.

Diesel fuels react differently to additives, it all depends on where the fuel originated from.

If you have winterized-treated diesel fuel available at the pump in your destination location, then the additives will likely have little effect, but it all depends on the station.

In other words, you don't know for sure what type of winterization range the fuel is treated for unless it's posted at the pump, which is non existant in most parts of the country including mine.

So yes, keep treating the fuel to be safe, it only takes one time of being gelled up and stuck on the side of the road to make a believer of treating the fuel. (carry and extra set of Motorcraft-Racor fuel filters with you at all times)

The very best anti gel I have ever come across is FPPF total power or FPPF polar power, this stuff is very strong and is basically mineral turpentine, but is effective, and I only use it when I know a cold snap is coming and we are going to be well below zero at nights and maybe 5-10F during the day. We have treated fuel at the pump which is generally good for 0F + or - 5 degrees.

In general, fuel lubricity and cetane levels are the most important factors to maintain, along with regular filter changes every 15k miles.

Harry

Reactions: tjigger

·
TDG Singles Outlaw #10
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank Harry, i made the trip in a day and 1/2. Alot quicker than i thought.

the truck pulled the trailer with no problems andi added the anti-gel every fillup.

i also had my fuel filter changed by the dealer before my trip.

Reactions: harry6.0
1 - 10 of 10 Posts