The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st-I am a Newbie...... any help is appreciated.

2nd-bought my 2004 F250PSD over a year ago, almost 20k with me, no real complaints.. or atleast nothing not related to the previous owner.

The last Problem- I was losing major power, truck was running rough, and it was right after a fill up @ a really tiny off the beaten path town, so I changed both fuel filters and Voila, while I was sucking the old fuel out of the under the hood filter, I discovered an Extra set of washers from the previous filter change, floating around in the bottom, near the fuel intake, no problems since.

untill now...
Now I am sporadically losing power, and it bucks alittle when it happens, and it is most frequently when on an upward grade, 60-65 mph, under 2k rpm, with or with out a load.

Also, on the way home last night, interstate 60-65, unloaded, could feel slight increases in power, slight, but noticable bursts, then it was gone.......

Lastly-sometimes I push the pedal and nothing happens, try it 2-3 times, slightly, then Wam, truck takes off! :shrug:

·
422 Posts
Sounds like a sticky turbo to me. Take it in to the dealer. My truck did the same thing and the dealer replaced the turbo with a rebuilt.

·
3,306 Posts
Yeah could be the vanes sticking in the turbo. My truck is currently at the dealership getting a new turbo under warrenty cause the vanes are stuck closed.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No warrently here guys

Is there any way to clean it?

Am I not running it hard enough?

·
1,660 Posts
yes you can clean it, if you go to the 6.0 bible in the sticky area on top of this forum you can find directions to remove the turbo. Ive had to do it twice. it takes about 4 hours the first time you do it. not real hard but make sure you mark the the ring on the turbo housing so it all goes back together in the exact same way it came off.

·
1,660 Posts
guys could this also be a sensor issue? isnt there one that will cause a bucking or surging of power when its going bad?

·
TDG Official Poo Flinger
5,268 Posts
Could it be the Throttle Position Sensor?

This is what makes me think it is..

"Lastly-sometimes I push the pedal and nothing happens, try it 2-3 times, slightly, then Wam, truck takes off! "

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
Mine did that with a sticking egr issue. Felt like a vanes sticking problem took turbo apart and it was fine.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info and direction.....

I found the dealer connection on the web, which have video on both EGR cleaning and Turbo reconditioning, also this step by step turbo reconditioning found here

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php

This page has a ton of info,

http://www.fordtechservice.dealerconnection.com/vdirs/hotline/prevepisodes.asp

My father is an auto mechanic, but not a deisel mechanic, but I think with this info, and his tools, we could get them both cleaned and back in in one day....

With 110k miles, it is likely a sure bet that I have both problems, Dirty/Bad EGR, and corosion on turbo.

Wish me luck, will post back with what I found.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts