The Diesel Garage banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
631 Posts
First and foremost the Comm problem is in the truck cab wiring harness, not with the ECM. 99.9999% of the communication problems are due to the wiring harness in the truck having corrosion or a broken wire, not the ECM. You'll need to fix this to do a cut out test using CAT ET

Second.........it is an injector issue. I've run four different flow size injectors in my own truck with the 1000Hp camshaft. I never had a flutter under power that was caused by the camshaft. The problem is an injector or injector wiring harness issue PERIOD

·
88 Posts
Small Injector Nozzle with BIG Cam results in too higher internal Pressure
and forces the Actuator to dump Fuel and is more noticeable in Higher gears
when the load is holding the Rack open for longer......any thoughts on this?

·
631 Posts
Small Injector Nozzle with BIG Cam results in too higher internal Pressure
and forces the Actuator to dump Fuel and is more noticeable in Higher gears
when the load is holding the Rack open for longer......any thoughts on this?
Wrong........I've ran stock 10R-8501s with my own truck and Big John's truck that Doodle bought without any issues. Both engines had the 1000Hp cams in them with stock flowing injectors

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
well just got back from my favorite shop in Miami " Hi Power Diesel" if you ever need a good mechanic in Miami Fl, don't hesitate to call Armando.

he did a cutout test and it was very weak, he did the individual cylinder test first and you could barely tell when the rpm when down, then he did a 4 cylinder test and it was a little more noticeable, but not even what I have seen in other motors, so he told me it was going to be very difficult to pin point where was the problem and told me if I replaced one or maybe three that he found hardly weaker then the others it my make it worse.

so in other words I would probably be better off just replacing all six injectors and be done with it.

I'm going to try raising the fuel pressure before I get the injectors, I'm cruising at around 1500 rpm and the fuel press is 80 psi, I think for a motor that should be around 100 psi or more, 80 looks kind of low. Don't you think?

any ways here I am, the truck it's still drivable, since I'm working locally but this needs to be fix.

what do you all think of this trip to the shop?

If I get the injectors I might go up to the 58s, or is there a reason why I shouldn't do that?

Caterpillar wants $660 plus tax for reman 57s, while there's a parts store that I get a lot of stuff from, he can get 'em for me for $550 either 57s or 58s from Cat.

well I do appreciate all you guys opinions, so if you have anything new about this, please don't hesitate and keep posting.

I need all the help I can get and this site with all the members has always being a good source of information for me and I'm sure many others too.

Thank you all and I wish one day I can meet some of you guys, you are my internet family and a lot of my local friends know about many of you thru me from this site.

sincerely: Eddy in the Florida Keys

P.S. the only thing that might keep me from getting the 58s is if they become very smokey with the cam i got.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Everyone has differing opinions...and I thought for a long time it was injector related....and it probably is....however I find if I install 211-3025 or larger injectors....it goes away....so after typing this..I realize....either way you look at it it's an injector problem.....;-)
Rob I've found that this part number 211-3025 is the same as 10R0955, does it flow more than the current 57s?

I also need the part number for the new style fuel pump, if anybody can help with that.

·
2,824 Posts
Two sizes above the 57, that is the next largest injector over the 58.

Reactions: H800T

·
115 Posts
that will be too much, I was hoping it was something between 57 and 58s if there is anything like that.

Thank you Cody.
You would need to chime in on Far_Call to get something in between. And he aint around the corner, more likely halfway around the world, ok, "Mate" ....

·
631 Posts
well just got back from my favorite shop in Miami " Hi Power Diesel" if you ever need a good mechanic in Miami Fl, don't hesitate to call Armando.

he did a cutout test and it was very weak, he did the individual cylinder test first and you could barely tell when the rpm when down, then he did a 4 cylinder test and it was a little more noticeable, but not even what I have seen in other motors, so he told me it was going to be very difficult to pin point where was the problem and told me if I replaced one or maybe three that he found hardly weaker then the others it my make it worse.

so in other words I would probably be better off just replacing all six injectors and be done with it.

I'm going to try raising the fuel pressure before I get the injectors, I'm cruising at around 1500 rpm and the fuel press is 80 psi, I think for a motor that should be around 100 psi or more, 80 looks kind of low. Don't you think?

any ways here I am, the truck it's still drivable, since I'm working locally but this needs to be fix.

what do you all think of this trip to the shop?

If I get the injectors I might go up to the 58s, or is there a reason why I shouldn't do that?

Caterpillar wants $660 plus tax for reman 57s, while there's a parts store that I get a lot of stuff from, he can get 'em for me for $550 either 57s or 58s from Cat.

well I do appreciate all you guys opinions, so if you have anything new about this, please don't hesitate and keep posting.

I need all the help I can get and this site with all the members has always being a good source of information for me and I'm sure many others too.

Thank you all and I wish one day I can meet some of you guys, you are my internet family and a lot of my local friends know about many of you thru me from this site.

sincerely: Eddy in the Florida Keys

P.S. the only thing that might keep me from getting the 58s is if they become very smokey with the cam i got.
Eddy if I remember correctly your engine has 58s in it from the factory. It was a 5EK 550 Hp, correct?

As long as the parts store is selling you CAT parts and not an injector remanufactured by someone else at that lower price you'll be fine.

·
2,824 Posts
that will be too much, I was hoping it was something between 57 and 58s if there is anything like that.

Thank you Cody.
I don't think they are that bad, I believe Sledman ran a set for a while or is currently running them, you can run a lower HP file with them.

Reactions: H800T

·
19 Posts
Eddy if I remember correctly your engine has 58s in it from the factory. It was a 5EK 550 Hp, correct?

As long as the parts store is selling you CAT parts and not an injector remanufactured by someone else at that lower price you'll be fine.
Yea because Cat injectors are always flawless. :roflol:

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Kurt my engine is, 1LW 31037, 475 hp and this number was taken from a picture from one of the injectors recently; 1408993 CAT 1057115.

and yes this guy sells directly from Caterpillar, I don't know if that price was high or low, I do know he gets everything from the local Cat, also he sales a lot and that might be why his prices are low, plus he has to compete with Cat and every one that sales Chinese, and Miami prices are way, way lower than any where else I've tried on just about anything related to trucks.

Thank you.

·
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I don't think they are that bad, I believe Sledman ran a set for a while or is currently running them, you can run a lower HP file with them.
Cody my only fear on bigger injectors are drivability, a lot of smoke and and having to go to much more bigger and expensive clutch.

in the other hand, I have a stock 475hp ECM, that might help with keeping those injectors tame while using the marine cam.

Thanks again Cody.

·
1,811 Posts
Kurt my engine is, 1LW 31037, 475 hp and this number was taken from a picture from one of the injectors recently; 1408993 CAT 1057115.

and yes this guy sells directly from Caterpillar, I don't know if that price was high or low, I do know he gets everything from the local Cat, also he sales a lot and that might be why his prices are low, plus he has to compete with Cat and every one that sales Chinese, and Miami prices are way, way lower than any where else I've tried on just about anything related to trucks.

Thank you.
140-8993 is a "old" new part number from around 200-2001 for a 57, or 8501.

If you want to go with bigger squirts, get the 211-3025's and find somebody who's done a single Acert conversion. Fab a bracket for the block and run the Acert twins and don't look back. Drive ability is not a problem nor is smoke, even with the tuned file. Injectors themselves don't make most of the smoke. It's the cam that makes smoke. But the twins will keep it to a minimum. Trust me, you'll love it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
it's a 1LW with 600 hp B/S, it has had this flutter for a while now, specially on the upper gears more when grabbing a new gear for the first second or two of acceleration then it disappear.

but this week it got a new 1000 hp marine cam and the flutter is there on most gears while picking up speed fast, but if I just drive it easy is not there.

when it does it, boost gauge is heading to the high numbers mid to high 30's it suddenly drops from 37, 38 40 to 19 20 something, I thought it was the transfer pump but today I installed a fuel pressure gauge and at idle it reads 72, 74 at 1500 shows 88, 89, so I guess I'm good there.

A friend had the same thing and he said it was an injector, I do remember one time it was at the shop for a few days and when it started it was smoking white and idling rough until it warmed up, then every morning would do that for a few days while progressively got better.

what do you guys think?

thank you in advance for your opinions and advices.

Eddy. :usflag
send your injectors to rochester diesel in MN and he will test and tune them let him know your running marine cam and he will hone them to 55s for 800hp cam not sure what he takes them to for 1000HP cam charges 150$ per injector 3 day turnaround. that gets rid of the flutter on acceleration.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts