The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you find out what the engine hours are on a 2008 F350 powerstoke diesel? Does it have an engine hour meter and where is it located?

·
606 Posts
It's located in your instrument panel read out. Turn on the key. Push the button 5 times.

·
7 Posts
If you have a 3-button setup, press system-info and let it scroll through all the messages. Engine hour is the first hing that shows up

·
606 Posts
There is a formula that Ford uses to determine if the truck has been idled to much. Your mileage/hour shows 23.9 mph average, lots of idle time. I don't remember the exact number but I believe yours falls under severe maintenance scheduled. Mine shows 81558 miles with 1854hrs, 43.9 mph.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I haven't bought the truck yet, but was hoping this would be the one. I thought the hours were high because I have another truck with 2,200 hours and 70,000 miles.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Truck is 1,500 miles from me. have no trustworthy way to inspect it other than pictures and sellers decription. I don't think they'd have the "patience" to do an oil analysis or look at the anti-freeze with test strips
Sorry to hijack thread temporarily.....

·
606 Posts
To many miles to drive to see it. To many hours...........................

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
seller (Ford dealer) rebuilt top end of engine at 53,000 miles (sept 2010). New transfer case, too.
Is there a typical engine life in hours (say 5,000) before rebuild? Like a B rating that they give for diesels in miles?

·
606 Posts
If there is I'm not aware of it.

Reactions: Duke

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Sorry again to keep hijacking. I'm assuming the OP got his question answered!!
Seller says reason hours are high is because it's a Minnesota truck, which is idled a lot during cold winter months.
I think I can get this truck pretty cheap. Let's say 26K. Seems like a pretty good deal for a 550 4x4 XLT supercab with high cap tow pkg & snowplow pkg. to me. It's the exact color, wheelbase, cab config. I want, too. The high cap tow pack is a difficult truck to find 9maybe only 1 in 50 F-550's have it), so it's not like I have a lot of other options.
The engine has a 5/100K warranty. Warranty will expire midway through 2012 because it's an "early" '08, which is only about 8-9 months. Maybe I could extend the engine warranty for a few more years depending on cost. That way I'm covered if the hours are an issue later.

The problem is, this truck fits all my requirements (and I have many requirements to fit the job). Maybe I have to pinch my nose and buy this truck because quite honestly, there aren't many out there in that price range!!

·
606 Posts
If it's what you want you should get it. An extended warranty might not be a bad idea. The long idle time is not an issue if the previous owner did the maintenance.

·
7 Posts
I have 29500 and 1060hrs =27.8mph. Not too far off from you.

I don't idle per se, but I also use my rig as a daily driver more than I make long freeway hauls across state. My drive is usually stuck in traffic creeping stop-and-go <40mph traffic followed by an 8 mile freeway stretch if it's not plugged up. I rarely drive >70mph, so that works against me by keeping my avg mph low too.

It's almost impossible to know how the truck was really used. No offense, but sales guys will say anything. So I'd guess it all depends. If the truck has been used in the Mohave Desert all of its life where there's nothing but freeway, I'd be suspicious of low engine hours.

If the truck has been used to plow, I'm sure that might explain a lot of it too.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I have 29500 and 1060hrs =27.8mph. Not too far off from you.

I don't idle per se, but I also use my rig as a daily driver more than I make long freeway hauls across state. My drive is usually stuck in traffic creeping stop-and-go <40mph traffic followed by an 8 mile freeway stretch if it's not plugged up. I rarely drive >70mph, so that works against me by keeping my avg mph low too.

It's almost impossible to know how the truck was really used. No offense, but sales guys will say anything. So I'd guess it all depends. If the truck has been used in the Mohave Desert all of its life where there's nothing but freeway, I'd be suspicious of low engine hours.

If the truck has been used to plow, I'm sure that might explain a lot of it too.
It was registered as a truck in MN. I would think it idled a lot just because of the frigid cold.

·
606 Posts
I guess the whole thing is about how you feel after all the due diligence. My concern would be the maintenance. The long idle times affect the emissions.Has the engine had the time to regen and clean the DPF? The maintenance in my mind is the issue. It sounds like it has all the options that you want. Call the dealer, beat em down on the price and go for it.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Dont they have an oasis report that would give good info on the truck?
I got what looks like a warranty history oasis report. It's pretty involved. Transfer case and front driveshaft were broken and replaced.
Truck was pushed into shop in sept 2010.
Part of the upper 1/2 of engine was rebuilt. I can barely read the fine print (looking for magnifying lens as I type). Just beginning to go through it right now. Looks like a broken rocker arm, new radiator, bunch of seals, etc. Top 1/2 must have had problems. Dealer told me many early 6.4's had top 1/2 problems?? Don't know if it's true or not, but I'm shocked at how many 6.4's I looked at have rebuilt engines in them and not even 100K miles.

This truck is built almost exactly how I'd want it speced. I would rather have 84" cab/axle, this one has 60", but I can live with that. However, the truck scares me with all the repairs it has had. Warranty is just about to expire. has about 5-6 months and 1,200 miles to go, so it's virtually worthless. Hours are on the high side. Condition is about a 7 of 10. Floormat has a hole worn right through the floormat into the sheetmetal of the cab! Can't believe someone would buy a truck and not even install a floormat on the vinyl factory floor cover. Kind of tells me the owner didn't care about the truck very much.

Dealer is in the twin cities. Wish I could get someone to look at it for me, but I don't know anyone near the area. Salesman isn't exactly "motivated". He gives out info on a "need to know" basis. Truck was used for plowing driveways, lots, etc. as you would expect in MN. I won't be putting a ton of miles on this truck, probably under 5K per year. It's next to impossible to find a white 550 4x4 with supercab and high cap tow package (33K GCWR) and pw/pdl/p.mirrors. Price is very reasonable. 5K cheaper than most others I have found.

Don't know if I should skip over this one. Might take 6 months to find another. Package 535 (high cap tow package) is tough to find.

·
49 Posts
who did the repairs? ford dealer? I recently had some work done to mine and was shocked when I talked to the mechanic about some of the procedures and training they go thru. Yes I know its a diesel engine there are a ton of great diesel mechanics out there, but there's sensors for sensors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts