The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I am sure this has been pondered over and over but I could not find much using the search. I just bought my first psd and am trying to decide what oil to use in it. I always used Mobil 1 synthetic in my gasser but am leary about using the 5w-40 synthetic diesel oil. Anyone had any trouble running the 5w-40 oils?? Thanks for your help.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
if it has dino oil in it i would keep it that way 15w40 delo by chevron is a real good oil you can buy just about anywhere . i think to run the syn oils you have to put in some kind of additive so it will mate with the dino oil in the engine but i not for sure on that. i have talked with guys that went to syn oils and have had nothing but oil leaks. good luck steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is nothign wrong with using 5w-40 in your diesel

If guys switch to synthetic oils and then get oil leaks it is not because of the oil it is because there is something wrong with there truck. gasket, ect...

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #71
1,288 Posts
I was using Rotella T but have since switched to Valvoline premium blue It also came back with a good oil analysis

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Synthetic Delo 5w-40 here.

You can find the synthetic additive to mate with the dino oil in the headlight fluid section of your favorite auto parts store.....

·
1,921 Posts
Fast_Ashley said:
Synthetic Delo 5w-40 here.

You can find the synthetic additive to mate with the dino oil in the headlight fluid section of your favorite auto parts store.....
LOL LOL

Synthetic oils have smaller molocules. This is why they work so much better. The fill in the pours in the metal better. However they will also find a smaller hole to leak out than dino oil wil. That is why some people claim it is more likely to leak. If you have seals that are getting worn they may not leak with dino oil but will leak with synthetic. Most any synthetic will work with a small amount of dino oil that's left in the engine. I would try to flush it as best as possible though and drain the oil rails in the heads too. But you shouldn't need to add any kind of additive.

·
168 Posts
i use amsoil 15w40 in my '96 but it uses some and the heaveir oil slows it down, but my brother uses 5w30 amsoil in his '02 and swears by it.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
bluovaltruk01 said:
Hey fast_ashley, is that the same place I can find sailboat fuel? Can't find it anywhere.
Pm me and I'll get you a link :sly:

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
Fast_Ashley said:
Pm me and I'll get you a link :sly:
quadulater valve and a gallon of prop wash? same place?

·
Diesel Pro
899 Posts
I use 15W40 synthetic. It is 76 Royal Triton. My whole truck is Syn.

:believe
Now guys your not sapose to tell everyone about that stuff remember its top secret. Its all in the back corner where no one goes by the Blinker fluid and the fancy Manual tranny shift kits. LOL

I knew a kid in High school that asked me what it takes to put a shift kit in his F-150 with a stick. He wanted it to shift harder. I just said try letting of the clutch quicker she will slam gears nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts