The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys sorry I didnt post this earlier, I dont know why I didn't. This was about a month ago. So, we had a friend from Utah come down to take the engine out of our truck and install new head gaskets, and ARP head studs. We had run out blown head gaskets for almost a year and a half, and we thought it would just be some head machining, and installing the new gaskets and the studs. Boy were we wrong and we knew that when, at first, 4 head bolts broke off in the block, then it took a 6 foot prybar to pry both heads off. When the heads came off, there was even more bad news. We saw after examining the cylinders, that some cylinders, had water in them at times because of the bad head gaskets and there was fairly severe pitting in the cylinder walls, and they were rusty. So then obviously we were going to have to have the broken off head bolts taken out of the block. And then, we determined the heads were so warped that we may have to get new heads. And we are also going to have to bore the block, and get .20 over pistons. So from this point, we're going to have to do so much work that we are probably going to build it fully. Which means, Carrilo rods, de-lipped pistons, possibly head work, and many other things. The only reason this isnt happening right now is because we dont have the money for it, and we need to save up. So our goal is to have it up and running by sometime next summer. Hear are some pics of taking the engine out of the truck, and taking it apart.

Attachments

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless he drove it for a year and a half with blown hgs he shouldnt have to worry LOL

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just found out it might happen sooner than I thought, but we'll have to sell our golf cart and our 3rd car, which is my dad's primary car right now.

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
Well I just found out it might happen sooner than I thought, but we'll have to sell our golf cart and our 3rd car, which is my dad's primary car right now.
volvo? or is that the mommy-mobile?

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they're both volvos....:haha

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well, pretty much we've decided to scrap the idea of boring the engine out .020 over and take the risk of running with pitted cylinder walls, becuase money is a big object here, and we decided that in this economy, unless we're realistic it will never get done. So, most likely all we will have done is take the heads and have them machined, because they are definetly warped, install the head studs, and gaskets, and call it good.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
well, pretty much we've decided to scrap the idea of boring the engine out .20 over and take the risk of running with pitted cylinder walls, becuase money is a big object here, and we decided that in this economy, unless we're realistic it will never get done. So, most likely all we will have done is take the heads and have them machined, because they are definetly warped, install the head studs, and gaskets, and call it good.

The heads are warped?

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
Yes. We ran it with blown hg's for 18 months and overheated it about 30 times :haha
Ok so Drew......you knew you had blown head gaskets for starters and you kept driving it for 18 months? And you overheated it 30 times? Can I ask why?

·
1,705 Posts
Good question Keith.

Dieselson: You can get a good used motor for somewhere in the $3000 range if you shop around. I only have about $1500 into the one I'm running now. But I was real fortunate.

Ok so Drew......you knew you had blown head gaskets for starters and you kept driving it for 18 months? And you overheated it 30 times? Can I ask why?

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, for one, my dad's the kind of guy who drives it until it breaks. Also money has always been a little tight and we didnt want to have to do it unless we needed to.

·
Nasty Girl
580 Posts
Well, for one, my dad's the kind of guy who drives it until it breaks. Also money has always been a little tight and we didnt want to have to do it unless we needed to.
First off you needed too!!! :gaah And wouldn't you call it broke? :haha

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
First off you needed too!!! :gaah And wouldn't you call it broke? :haha
Yea... wouldnt it have been cheaper to fix it before than now? i mean it know its supposed to take 30+ hours to do them, but its cheaper and easier than a whole rebuild.... makes more sence if your money it already tight...

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im not the one who makes the decision...:fan

·
925 Posts
And wouldn't you call it broke? :haha
I would think overheating more than once would mean somethings broke.:bang:

If it makes you feel any better, a similar thing happened to my PSD. The dealership couldn't tell me why I always smelled coolant pulling a loaded trailer until they tore the heads off and found the bad gaskets and warped heads. Fortunately for me it was warranty repair.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts