The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 with 6 speed manual. When toying my 40' Toyhauler the engine seems to be overheating when pulling a hill. I do not have a gauge but the dash one goes up to hot then back down then back up to hot and sometimes doesn't even get hot at all? Very wierd as I have not seen many 7.3 with an overheating problem. The enigine light never comes on but I back out of it before it stays in the red too long.

I have had the Thermostat replaced, water pump and fan checked. Any other ideas?

Also everynow and then seems like it has low power? Just once in awhile it will seem like truck has half the power on a steep hill then the next steep hill seems to be back to normal. Not sure if these are related?

Thanks in advance!

·
391 Posts
Overheating and low power can be caused by low boost. Listen real close while pulling for a whistling sound and check for boost leaks. A pyro gauge would be useful to check the boost.

·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have a boost gauge and boost is fine.

Almost like an injector isnt working right or something.

I am almost thinking the fan isn't kicking on right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you have a way to see what the PCM is seeing? Such as a monitoring device? This may help with the power issue.

Also, since the 7.3 doesn't have a big reputation for overheating it is unlikely that it actually is. You may want to run a manual temperature gauge into the system and see what is really going on.

·
powerstroke expert
60 Posts
seldom do 7.3 di engines have an overheat issue unless it has a faulty t-stat or if someone used too much silicon causing the t-stat or oil cooler to clog, the most common cause is usually debris built up in between to a/c condenser and radiator. in few cases i have seen head gasket failure if the engine is heavily modified, you may also want to check the pop off pressure of the coolant cap.

·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New fan clutch and cleaning of the radiator seemed to be the fix. Thanks for all the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts